Official Notting Hill Carnival 2022 Thread

Yehuda

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Cold weather.

Modern day carnivals in USA, UK, Canada grew out of celebrations started by Trini immigrants. Timed with when it was celebrated in their nation, but indoors because of the difference in climate.

Eventually they decided to move the festivities to dates in their adopted countries when the weather was suitable to do the full costume, pageantry, reveling.

I assumed this was the case cause folks would look crazy going out in the snow on some
Imperio2009.gif

Givethanks

Superstar
Daps
I think most of the comments are haters.

I don't know the particulars with Carnival events but I could see some real concern, if, for instance, events like this are used to showcase new talent within the soca, reggae, dancehall genres and how it can be perceived that Afrobeat artist are taking up space. On the flip side, I know there has been many Afrobeat festivals where Jamaican artist have been included.

It would be the same if there was, for instance, an underground hip hop festival and Afrobeat artist were included. That may strike the ire of some people.

However, Jamaicans and West Africans are in such close proximity to each other in London, sharing many cultural affinities, it's hard for me to see how Afrobeat artist wouldn't be included, considering the rise in the genres popularity.
Funny fact it's bare Jamaicans who don't listen to/ or make Soca, also I might be wrong but I heard that Carnival Soca isn't on rotation yearly like that.

Here in Canada you're not really hearing modern dancehall songs that are popping in "Jamaica". You'll hear crocodile teeth because Nicki was on the remix but you won't hear Jashii, Squash, Masicka or Prince Swanny, unless you go to specific events that are catered specifically towards dancehall.

So I'm idk why people are being haters. Plus I hope it's not people who never stepped foot in the Caribbean being gate keepers. Are trinis dem even deep like that in the UK?

DapMeUp!

Superstar
Daps
Funny fact it's bare Jamaicans who don't listen to/ or make Soca, also I might be wrong but I heard that Carnival Soca isn't on rotation yearly like that.

The first part is true, but Soca is definitely always running at Carnival every year.
Actually the only time of the year you will hear it in heavy rotation unless you go to an actual Soca event.

Most Dancehall and Afrobeats running the dances over here.

Givethanks

Superstar
Daps
The first part is true, but Soca is definitely always running at Carnival every year.
Actually the only time of the year you will hear it in heavy rotation unless you go to an actual Soca event.

Most Dancehall and Afrobeats running the dances over here.
My bad, yeah Soca and Carnival is like bread and butter.

I wanna go to NH Carnival so bad

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
I haven’t been to this one but one area that the Ny event kills the rest is a more diverse group of Caribbean. It’s not just about the British influence in nyc or Boston carnivals
Exactly. Im amazed that Haiti showed up for the first time.