Official Student Debt Cancellation Watch Thread

lurker emeritus

low quantity poster
Daps
Reppin
stl (north side)
:wow: thankfully the irs is repaying my student loans (i work for the irs :whoa:)
however, i don't get waiting 3 years to start working on a backup plan (that should've been the main one)
just because one side is evil, that doesn't mean the other side has to be stupid (#bothsides)
:francis:
even though the wh couldn't figure this out, the irs has stepped up to repay my loans (10k each year [& my payments don't resume until 2025 so i'm good])
slrp.jpg

again for any irs employees, the program is open again until 11/30 (hella strings attached though)

Cakebatter

All Star
Daps
Who's been making payments for 10+ years on $12k worth of debt?
:what:

"A borrower can qualify for the forgiveness if they're enrolled in the administration’s Saving on a Valuable Education (SAVE) repayment plan and "have been making at least 10 years of payments, and have originally taken out $12,000 or less for college," a White House fact sheet said. "

Payday23

Superstar
Daps

LeVraiPapi

Redemption is Coming
Daps
This is what gets me with the SCOTUS decision. Bidens been canceling debt and nothing's done until he tries to get most of it done at once. What's the difference?

Because it’s a bigger map r to make 10 people happy at once vs making them happy one at a time.

bnew

Veteran
Daps

Biden cancels nearly $6B in student debt for 77,700 public service workers​

BY ALEX GANGITANO - 03/21/24 5:00 AM ET

President Biden canceled $5.8 billion in student loan debt for 77,700 public service workers Thursday through the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program (PSLF).

The workers who will receive the debt include teachers, nurses and firefighters, among others. The Biden administration overall has canceled student debt for more than 870,000 public service workers, eclipsing $62.5 billion in debt forgiven, according to the White House’s announcement.

The public service workers receiving loans are set to receive an emailed message with the news, signed by Biden.

“Because you’ve pursued a career in public service, you’re on track to get your eligible student loans forgiven in less than a year through Public Service Loan Forgiveness,” the message reads.

The relief is a result of fixes that the Biden administration made to the PSLF program. Education Secretary Miguel Cardona said in a statement that the PSLF previously had “logistical troubles and trap doors.”

“Today, more than 100 times more borrowers are eligible for PSLF than there were at the beginning of the Administration. The Biden Administration is turning a promise broken under our predecessor into a promise kept,” Cardona said.

In January, the Biden administration announced it would forgive $3.2 billion for those on the PSLF program. At the time, it had forgiven $56.7 billion for 793,400 PSLF borrowers.

Overall, as of January, it had forgiven the debt held by more than 3.7 million student loan borrowers through either PSLF or other avenues, such as fixes in income-driven repayment options.

Daps
CANCEL MY fukkING shyt JOE. BULLIONS FOR ALL THESE nikkaS THAT DIDNT DO shyt WHEN HOUSING, SCHOOL, AND GROCERIES WERE AFFORDABLE.