Opinion: The Black Los Angeles I grew up with is slipping away

TheMailMan

All Star
Daps
Hate to see it :mjcry:

We gotta stop pulling out and start outfukkin these Mexicans. It's the only way.
If the property area is so expensive how is it getting over run by mexicans and other immigrants? I doubt they are making more then educated teachers and nurses who once lived in the area

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
Sacramento is in its golden era of black culture. There are Angelenos and other Californians who relocate to Sac, and I've said in years past on here that any Black Californian should look at Sac's expanding black community before leaving the state...
.are there even jobs there lol

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
Interesting. What makes Sacramento a viable place to live?
If I'm coming from Los Angeles, it's still in California, and to many Californians that matters...

The Black California diaspora stretches across the entire nation, of course with many Black Californians choosing to go back south, or next door to Nevada or Arizona. Most Black Californians are ancestrally tied to the South Central states (west of the Mississippi River: Arkansas, Louisiana, Texas, Oklahoma), but I've met us everywhere, there's plenty of us in Georgia, Tennessee, and the Carolinas. Some of my own Angeleno family returned to Arkansas in the early 10s...

But I live in the South, and like many other Californians, if all things were equal, I'd choose California. Some Californians want an entire change of scenery, but there are those of us who'd rather remain close to the culture and weather and people we grew up with...

Also, for California, Sacramento is cheap (getting more expensive, but cheaper than the coast). Black America is still the most disenfranchised group in the US, the wages and ability to acquire assets lags behind everyone else. So affordability matters to us way more than anyone else, and Sacramento is one of the few bastions of affordability...

Lastly, Sac is in its "black golden era", since the mid-10s. There's always been black people in Sac, my mom's family has been here since '72 and my dad's paternal side has been here since before then, maybe 10 years earlier. But historically the migration of black folk to California concentrated heavily on the coastal cities; Sacramento has historically been a very white city...

Sac has never had the number of black businesses and black-themed cultural events that it has now, and its beautiful watching it develop. Its the complete opposite of the coastal cities who were at their peaks of black culture in eras past, and I think it's exciting to live somewhere like this. It's like being black in SF in the 40s thru 60s, or black in Oakland in the 60s thru 80s...

I'd much rather live in Sac than anywhere in Nevada or AZ, and its a more attractive place than most of the rest of the country too...
nikkas got called all kinds of names for saying this about LA
Because people act like this isn't happening elsewhere. And its happening worse almost everywhere else, the black decline in LA is near bottoming out. The Bay cities and SD are all losing black people more rapidly--->and the northern cities across the East Coast and Midwest are almost all losing black citizens, and almost all losing them faster than LA is...

The problem was portraying the decline of black population as an LA-centered issue on a site that allegedly cares about Black Community in general. New York, Chicago, and many other cities are in far worse shape currently re: declining black community...
If Sacramento wasn’t the capital of California, it be another inland California city like Bakersfield and Stockton
Well, Sac has been the capital since 1854 and before that was the first incorporated city in Cali. You could say this about anywhere, Hollywood didn't take off until the 1910s, what would LA be without it? LA had gained over a million residents in less than 3 decades, had 102,000 in 1900 and over 1.2 million in 1930, on the back of Hollywood's explosion...

Would LA be Riverside or Dino without Hollywood? We could do this with anywhere...

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
@murksiderock
How expensive is sac, and could somebody in theory work in San Fran or San Jose or Oakland or the bay and general and commute back and forth from sac or maybe even Richmond

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
But let’s keep it real on black people are “declining” in these cities because black people were always set up to fail living in these cities

Really you set up to fail in general in this country if you were born poor, and you add the pressure of being born black with a legacy of slavery, I feel like black Americans are afraid to come to the realization that we were always fukked up but the illusion of rich athletes and the Cosby show and civil rights gave us hope

Not that we can’t overcome cause I think we will because I think we are resilient just for even living in this country but we got to keep it real about what it really means to be born black in this country

num123

Speak like a child
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bay Area/Chicago
@murksiderock
How expensive is sac, and could somebody in theory work in San Fran or San Jose or Oakland or the bay and general and commute back and forth from sac or maybe even Richmond
I lived in the Richmond area and worked South of SF for years, the time spent in traffic/trains was at least 90 minutes one way. You could do it but it will wear you down. Knew people that lived in Vallejo/Fairfield that worked a little farther than me, was depressing.

Loggie

All Star
Daps
The city is expensive now. My grandmother bought our family home in the 80’s for under 60K. Straight South Central LA. The house is worth 600k. 3/2 1200SF. Who can afford that?
:mjtf:
We got pushed out if we were silly enough to sell. I haven’t been to the house since 2017 but I think Asians and Mexicans bought us out.
:snoop:
Edit: Us as in South LA black population.

Last edited:

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
@murksiderock
In theory yes, and there are supercommuters who go from Sac to The Bay but like homie above said, it's not optimal. You'd rather live closer to where you work unless you only have to be in office a week out the month (my oldest kids' mom back east, lives in Raleigh and works in Durham. She has a set-up like this, works from home 3 weeks out yhe month)...

I'm a renter, you can still get rentals in Sac at $1500 and below, that's a steal in not just California but many other parts if the country. The wages need to increase but on the whole I don't find Sac to be all that expensive...

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
If the property area is so expensive how is it getting over run by mexicans and other immigrants? I doubt they are making more then educated teachers and nurses who once lived in the area
Was going point this out. Blacks are being priced out and replaced by…..migrants who earn even less money
It’s because of the Hispanic family unit being so strong and them creating economic communities in the hoods they take over, meaning the money is rotating amongst other Hispanics instead of Koreans and cacs