OutKast Stands Up For The South After Being Boo'd At The 1995 Source Awards | Hip Hop Awards 2020

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Smif n Wessun should have won though. Dah Shinin sh!ts on Southernplayalistic IMO. New York still was out of line though. They should have applauded. I'd love to hear Tek and Steele's thoughts on not winning that night. They ever address it?

And I think that's why the crowd responded that way. But nobody mentions that.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
And I think that's why the crowd responded that way. But nobody mentions that.

Even if the crowd's response was that Smif N Wesson lost to Kast, that is still bias. More than Smif N Wesson was in that category, so it wasn't just a loss to Smif N Wesson. It was an L to the other groups nominated as well. That is the epitome of bias because the other groups are being overlooked as if Smif N Wesson (the NY group) was the only other group in the category.

George's Dilemma

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Even if the crowd's response was that Smif N Wesson lost to Kast, that is still bias. More than Smif N Wesson was in that category, so it wasn't just a loss to Smif N Wesson. It was an L to the other groups nominated as well. That is the epitome of bias because the other groups are being overlooked as if Smif N Wesson (the NY group) was the only other group in the category.

I agree there would have been a bias, but it was one of those cases where the bias was legitimate. You had Bone, Ill Al Skratch, Outkast, and Smif n Wessun. In the long run Outkast turned out to be the superior group out of the four contenders. But as far as debut album is concerned, if we're talking Hip Hop music, Dah Shinin sh!t on all those records. They got robbed.

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I agree there would have been a bias, but it was one of those cases where the bias was legitimate. You had Bone, Ill Al Skratch, Outkast, and Smif n Wessun. In the long run Outkast turned out to be the superior group out of the four contenders. But as far as debut album is concerned, if we're talking Hip Hop music, Dah Shinin sh!t on all those records. They got robbed.

That's an opinion though. Who us to say that Creepin On Ah Come Up wasn't the best album out of the nominees?

I mean The Source did award Kast's Southernplayalistic 4.5 mics and even in the review they acknowledge that they had a negative view of Southern Hip Hop before Kast dropped.

Playaz Eyez

Veteran
Daps

That album did not “shyt on” OutKast’s album :laff:either you think far too highly of Smif N Wesson, or you don’t hold Outkast as a GOAT. All those were dope albums, it wasn’t a list of Jay-Z and a bunch of Chingy’s and Rich The Kid’s

BmoreGorilla

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Man, woman, and child
Smif n Wessun should have won though. Dah Shinin sh!ts on Southernplayalistic IMO. New York still was out of line though. They should have applauded. I'd love to hear Tek and Steele's thoughts on not winning that night. They ever address it?
I loved Dah Shinin album. A true classic and the album that have the Bootcamp that sound they were known for. One of the most underrated duos ever. Yea they shoulda took that award

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
Nas got robbed that night too. Multiple times.

George's Dilemma

Banned
Supporter
Daps
Nas got robbed that night too. Multiple times.

From a Medium article.

Speaking of Nas, it wasn’t just the Death Row — Bad Boy drama that happened that night. Something else, something more musical and less violent, but just as profound, happened that night. And it’s the reason why so many of us from age 29–40 wonder what happened to our music and why it’s not coming back.

I’ll let Questlove explain:

The ideology of what I considered ‘real’ hip-hop died at the 1995 Source Awards. I was literally at its funeral — I sat three rows behind Nas. In the audience, the Bad Boy camp was on the far right, all the West Coast and the Southern rappers were in the middle, and on the far left were all the New York underground rappers like Wu-Tang, Mobb Deep, Nas, Busta Rhymes, and us. That was the day when Suge called out Puffy, and there were fights in the audience. I felt like a bomb was going to detonate.

Nas’ body language that day told the whole story of where we were about to go. The more he got ignored for Illmatic, I literally saw his body melt in his seat. Almost like he was ashamed. He just looked so defeated. I was like, ‘Yo, he’s not gonna be the same after this shyt.’ None of us were the same after that day. I feel like the true underground lost its oxygen that night.