OutKast Stands Up For The South After Being Boo'd At The 1995 Source Awards | Hip Hop Awards 2020

mson

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Even if the crowd's response was that Smif N Wesson lost to Kast, that is still bias. More than Smif N Wesson was in that category, so it wasn't just a loss to Smif N Wesson. It was an L to the other groups nominated as well. That is the epitome of bias because the other groups are being overlooked as if Smif N Wesson (the NY group) was the only other group in the category.

I'm not saying it wasn't bias. I'm saying Outkast wasn't booed just because they were from the south.

darryl

Superstar
Daps
That whole show was a New York/Bad boy lovefest. Why in the hell wasnt pac nominated for anything? Me against the world was the best album of that year and wasnt nominated for anything, unless they were going off the previous year in 94 but still

spliz

SplizThaDon
Daps
Reppin
NY all day..Da Stead & BK..
That whole show was a New York/Bad boy lovefest. Why in the hell wasnt pac nominated for anything? Me against the world was the best album of that year and wasnt nominated for anything, unless they were going off the previous year in 94 but still
It was the previous year. If it was all about NY Outkast would’ve never won. And it was DEF a Bad Boy fest. Which is why Nas got robbed in every category that year,

old boy

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
brooklyn
From a Medium article.

Speaking of Nas, it wasn’t just the Death Row — Bad Boy drama that happened that night. Something else, something more musical and less violent, but just as profound, happened that night. And it’s the reason why so many of us from age 29–40 wonder what happened to our music and why it’s not coming back.

I’ll let Questlove explain:

The ideology of what I considered ‘real’ hip-hop died at the 1995 Source Awards. I was literally at its funeral — I sat three rows behind Nas. In the audience, the Bad Boy camp was on the far right, all the West Coast and the Southern rappers were in the middle, and on the far left were all the New York underground rappers like Wu-Tang, Mobb Deep, Nas, Busta Rhymes, and us. That was the day when Suge called out Puffy, and there were fights in the audience. I felt like a bomb was going to detonate.

Nas’ body language that day told the whole story of where we were about to go. The more he got ignored for Illmatic, I literally saw his body melt in his seat. Almost like he was ashamed. He just looked so defeated. I was like, ‘Yo, he’s not gonna be the same after this shyt.’ None of us were the same after that day. I feel like the true underground lost its oxygen that night.

i spoke about this back in 2018 when i first really started posting here & it caused a little controversy lol. and i'm fully aware that my take is even stranger when you consider my giancana avy, hip hop tastes, and hometown of nyc but questlove & a lot of nikkas really don't understand hip hop like they think they do. nothing died at all august 3rd, 1995 at MSG but something did get exposed... the fact that what nikkas are calling 'real' hip hop and the 'true underground' is really a north eastern based almost exclusively androcentric culture that makes head-nod listening music that will never compete with the popularity of more non boom bap danceable hip hop. now to understand.. little brother, common, planet asia, jay electronica, hieroglyphics, and xzibit are all NON north eastern rappers but they all do in fact subscribe to the north eastern culture of hip hop.. as did nas on illmatic....

illmatic was on that SP1200/S950, diggin in the crates, filtered bass lines, echoing horns, dig in the crates for that rare les mccann to sample music. which is one of my most beloved albums ever, in no way am i trying to dis the merits of illmatic. but you see, the beatminerz music was NEVER going to compete with the dungeon family music on a large scale. and not because the dungeon family is better than mr walt & evil dee... nah because being better or worse is subjective... but because dungeon family music while not being jermaine dupri or dallas austin, is still simply more palpable to a larger audience based on cultural involvement with hip hop. they do have a little of that nod your head in a cypher to their music but most of it is play it a party and dance with girls music. so when we look at someone like swizzy for instance, his time spent down in atlanta made him a non-traditional new york producer that was about heavy 808 danceable beats even if all the material was some gangsta shyt. ruff ryders anthem really set the tone for not just dmx but along with puffy's lazy but danceable samples? all of new york hip hop as a whole

and hey, i'm not saying it's better per say. i do think it is easier to trojan horse less talented rappers into danceable as opposed to head nod androcentric so it ain't like i don't have my criticisms as a hip hop head.... but for questlove to even be confused as to why deathrow, bad boy, and southern beats got more love than extra p & illmatic really shows just how delusional north eastern culture hip hop heads really are. nas saw what happened and said, "biggie nasty and can show his lyricism over THOSE kinds of beats and really get the love, fukk it get me in touch with trackmasters i'm bout to do the same shyt. nah buckwild & the beatnuts i ain't listen to yall submissions for my sophomore i'm gucci lol..."

BeingBetter

Hope Your Day Gets Better !
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Georgia, USA
i spoke about this back in 2018 when i first really started posting here & it caused a little controversy lol. and i'm fully aware that my take is even stranger when you consider my giancana avy, hip hop tastes, and hometown of nyc but questlove & a lot of nikkas really don't understand hip hop like they think they do. nothing died at all august 3rd, 1995 at MSG but something did get exposed... the fact that what nikkas are calling 'real' hip hop and the 'true underground' is really a north eastern based almost exclusively androcentric culture that makes head-nod listening music that will never compete with the popularity of more non boom bap danceable hip hop. now to understand.. little brother, common, planet asia, jay electronica, hieroglyphics, and xzibit are all NON north eastern rappers but they all do in fact subscribe to the north eastern culture of hip hop.. as did nas on illmatic....

illmatic was on that SP1200/S950, diggin in the crates, filtered bass lines, echoing horns, dig in the crates for that rare les mccann to sample music. which is one of my most beloved albums ever, in no way am i trying to dis the merits of illmatic. but you see, the beatminerz music was NEVER going to compete with the dungeon family music on a large scale. and not because the dungeon family is better than mr walt & evil dee... nah because being better or worse is subjective... but because dungeon family music while not being jermaine dupri or dallas austin, is still simply more palpable to a larger audience based on cultural involvement with hip hop. they do have a little of that nod your head in a cypher to their music but most of it is play it a party and dance with girls music. so when we look at someone like swizzy for instance, his time spent down in atlanta made him a non-traditional new york producer that was about heavy 808 danceable beats even if all the material was some gangsta shyt. ruff ryders anthem really set the tone for not just dmx but along with puffy's lazy but danceable samples? all of new york hip hop as a whole

and hey, i'm not saying it's better per say. i do think it is easier to trojan horse less talented rappers into danceable as opposed to head nod androcentric so it ain't like i don't have my criticisms as a hip hop head.... but for questlove to even be confused as to why deathrow, bad boy, and southern beats got more love than extra p & illmatic really shows just how delusional north eastern culture hip hop heads really are. nas saw what happened and said, "biggie nasty and can show his lyricism over THOSE kinds of beats and really get the love, fukk it get me in touch with trackmasters i'm bout to do the same shyt. nah buckwild & the beatnuts i ain't listen to yall submissions for my sophomore i'm gucci lol..."
:salute:

KillKenny

Pro
Daps

I still believe in the existence of "true/pure/real hiphop" but i ain't mad about anything you wrote. It's true...:ehh: