Charlie Hustle

Light Bringer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sin City

Owners fined after 11 people broke backs at trampoline park​

5013785daa717322b2fe7c229d9e5117

David Shuttleworth and Matthew Melling are the cacs that ran a trampoline park where scores were injured, some seriously - UNPIXS

Eleven people broke their backs at a trampoline park and hundreds more were injured, it emerged as its owners were fined and ordered to do community service.

David Elliot Shuttleworth, 34, and Matthew Melling, 33, were the directors of Flip Out Chester, where a customer was injured the day after it opened and 270 more were hurt before it closed down two months later.

Between the day of opening until Feb 3 2017, 270 members of the public suffered injuries using the Tower Jump, 11 suffering spinal injuries, four requiring surgery, with 123 injured by knee to face contact along with various other injuries including broken ribs and sprained wrists.

Some suffered “life-changing” spinal injuries and the number of people taken to A&E at the local hospital led to a delegation of medics visiting the site to see what was going on, Chester Crown Court heard.

Customers, including many children, were injured after using the Tower Jump, where people landed in a foam pit.

4b680cd1fbc054d79f4f1d3f883a56fb

There was a “cavalier” approach to safety, the court heard, despite multiple people being injured on a daily basis.

The worst injured suffered damaged vertebrae, some resulting in life-long health problems, while many others suffered “knee to face” injuries causing dental and facial injuries.

Shuttleworth, of Stoke on Trent, and Melling, of Spinningfields, Manchester, both pleaded guilty at an earlier hearing to a single count of negligence under health and safety law between December 2016 and February 2017.

Judge Michael Leeming said that he was passing sentence on the basis the defendants were negligent rather than committing deliberate acts or cost-cutting at the expense of safety, and that he was constrained by the sentencing guidelines and the law.

He said: “There’s no evidence the company took any steps at all, including reasonably practical ones, to reduce or eliminate those risks.

“Common sense says investigating why an accident has happened reduces the risk of further accidents.

“The sentence will be less than many people hoped for and many people think you deserve.”

Shuttleworth was fined £6,500 and Melling £6,300, with each ordered to complete 250 hours of unpaid community service.

Shuttleworth was also ordered to pay £50,000 costs and Melling £10,000 costs, to go towards the £250,000 prosecution costs and council investigation.

:dame:

Tetris v2.0

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
My best friend had a backyard trampoline growing up. Eventually I could back flip, front flip, barrel roll you name it on there. I was a beast! We were doing Hardy Boys style flips off ladders onto it lol

I'd always end up hurting my back at the beginning of the summer then after a week or so it was fine.

These things are dangerous as hell tho and to give access to the general retarded public seems like a really bad idea

DaSk8D00D

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Phoenix, AZ
They just had to totally not give a fukk about safety or not even flinch at any of the injuries happening there

There’s whole ass franchises where I live with trampoline parks, skateparks with mega ramps, and ninja courses all in one facility and they don’t have kids breaking vertebrae on a regular basis