Prepping For The Next January Embarrassment: Official Green Bay Packers 2021 Offseason Thread

Will Brian Gutekunst get 12 some help?

• YES

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • NO, HE'S GONNA SAY FUKK 12

Votes: 13 86.7%

• Total voters

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
Alright brehs, its been a few days since the Bucs celebrated the NFC Title on the Frozen Tundra. And the NFC Championship keeps being the road block for a 2nd title in the Rodgers era. We shoulda won that damn game and talking about how the Chiefs would embarass Mike Pettine's defensive calls.

Oh well.

Can the Packers improve? We still have the MVP. One of the best WRs in the game. Some foundational pieces on defense and a solid left side of the offensive line.

However, we may not be able to keep our best RB. One of the best Cs in the NFL is a free agent. Our 2nd best CB who got embarrassed in the NFCCG is a free agent as well.

With the salary cap being a big unknown, many Packers fans are envisioning the worst case scenario of the cap going down to $175-$180M from its current $198M. However, many in the league are expecting a drop to $190-$195M which would be a bit more manageable.

If the cap is at $178M, we are currently $41M over :damn:

IF the cap settles in at $195M, we'd be $24M over. Though in that scenario we could create $30M in room.

Salary Cap Cheat Sheet. "How much will we save if..."

DTOXBfal.png

So, You can get cap savings of $56.45M by doing the following:

Cut Lowry ($3.3M)
Cut Wagner ($4.25M)
Cut Kirksey ($5.6M)
Cut/Trade Preston ($8M)
Restructure Z ($7.4M)
Restructure Aaron ($13.6M)
Restructure DBak ($8.3M)
Extend Davante ($6M)

We could keep Preston of course and restructure his deal. But he was invisible for like 70% of the season. I'd rather Gary get those snaps and draft another edge rusher or sign one on the cheap. :yeshrug:

Fukk Kirksey :camby: Undrafted ILBs in Barnes and Martin played much better than him. Barnes really came on in the 2nd half of the season. So, ILB isn't as dire as we thought. I'd still hop on finding a blue chip prospect who runs. Seeing how TB's LBs just fly around the field makes me jealous. We need team speed at LB.

We also need speed at WR. Besides MVS, no one else can get deep. Davante can cause of his magnificent route running. But we need more speed inside the slot.

Our free agents:
Unrestricted Free Agents (14)
To be a UFA, a player must have four or more accrued seasons. These players are free to sign with any team as of the start of the 2021 league year at 4:00 PM Eastern on March 17. They may also begin negotiating contracts with any team during the so-called “legal tampering” period, which begins two days earlier on March 15.

The gain or loss of unrestricted free agents in the 2021 offseason will determine what compensatory draft picks will be assigned for the 2022 NFL Draft.

Here is the list of the Packers’ 14 unrestricted free agents heading into the 2021 offseason:

• DL Montravius Adams
  • WR Tavon Austin
  • ILB James Burgess
  • RB Tyler Ervin
  • DL Damon Harrison
  • RB Aaron Jones
  • CB Kevin King
  • TE Marcedes Lewis
  • C Corey Linsley
  • S Will Redmond
  • G Lane Taylor
  • OT Jared Veldheer
  • RB Jamaal Williams
  • DL Billy Winn
Restricted Free Agents (6)
A restricted free agent has exactly three accrued seasons of NFL experience. Teams may submit a qualifying contract tender to RFAs before the start of the league year; the name of the tender specifies what type of draft pick another team must send to the previous team as compensation if signing an RFA, with the options being first-round, second-round, or “original-round” tenders. Each tender is equivalent to a one-year contract worth a different base salary, decreasing as the value of the draft pick compensation decreases. The value of the tenders will be finalized when the salary cap is finalized for 2021; with the cap likely to decrease, the 2021 values will likely be a bit lower than those for 2020 shown below

First-round: $4.873 million
Second-round: $3.422 million
Original round: $2.24 million

Players who receive a tender are allowed to negotiate contracts with other teams and if they come to an agreement, they may sign an offer sheet, which is effectively a proposed contract. The Packers would then have the opportunity to match that offer sheet or allow the player to sign with the other team; Green Bay would then receive the draft pick compensation from that team as specified by the type of tender he had received.

Five of the Packers’ six RFAs this year were not drafted, which would mean that the original-round tender only gives the team the right to match an offer sheet the player receives from another team; Green Bay would not receive any draft compensation if they chose not to match offer sheets for those players.

• QB Tim Boyle (undrafted)
  • S Raven Greene (undrafted)
  • DL Tyler Lancaster (undrafted)
  • CB Parry Nickerson (6th round pick)
  • CB Chandon Sullivan (undrafted)
  • TE Robert Tonyan (undrafted)
Exclusive-Rights Free Agents (5)
To fall into this group, players must have fewer than three accrued seasons of experience. The Packers may extend to any of these players a qualifying tender at the league minimum salary for that player’s experience level. If the team does so, it retains sole negotiating rights with the player moving forward. The two sides could still work on a longer-term contract extension once that tender is in place, or the player can sign the tender and play under the one-year contract.

• CB Kabion Ento
  • WR Allen Lazard
  • OT Yosh Nijman
  • OLB Randy Ramsey
  • WR Malik Taylor

We will have a new DC. All I care about is a defense that can go beyond vanilla and actually keep good to great QBs off balance. For a decade we have not been able to thwart great QBs. Even with talented teams.

Going into the draft, our biggest needs are CB, DL, OT, Slot WR with speed, EDGE RUSHER, ILB, KR/PR, P...

@FloorGeneral
@ThaRebel
@Tical
@Upshall
@Darealtwo1
@Don De Dieu
@CJ14
@bsmooth
@Stelio Kontos
@Monster
@SHAQAVELLI
@ThiefyPoo
@Only On Camera
@MushroomX
@Scaaar
@Abuchunky

Last edited:

FAH1223

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
at least you fied pettine?!?! although it was 2 years 2 late

His contract expired.
7zbB6vN.png
LaFleur is going to do a full search. I hope he gets Kris Richard (cc @South Paw )

GB would transition to a four-man front. The front office would have to shake off their disinterest in the linebacker position. And we would expect plenty of single-high safety looks with Cover-3 the base look.

South Paw

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CML
His contract expired.
7zbB6vN.png
LaFleur is going to do a full search. I hope he gets Kris Richard (cc @South Paw )

GB would transition to a four-man front. The front office would have to shake off their disinterest in the linebacker position. And we would expect plenty of single-high safety looks with Cover-3 the base look.
Richard is decent
Was a great db coach, he was just ok as a dc. Improvement over pettine I think tho

FAH1223

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
Richard is decent
Was a great db coach, he was just ok as a dc. Improvement over pettine I think tho

I want a young guy like we have with LaFleur. Richard has ambitions to be a HC. And from what I've read connects to players and inspires them.

We haven't had a DC like that in GB in like... 15 years

MushroomX

Packers Stockholder
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wisconsin
:jbhmm: Honestly its going to be hard to digest all this pre-offseason stuff, mainly because:
  1. We first need a Coordinator
  2. Once we get a Coordinator we need to explore who is victimized by the NFL COVID-19-reduced Salary Cap
  3. Then we need to Draft and Sign free agents.

FAH1223

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
:jbhmm: Honestly its going to be hard to digest all this pre-offseason stuff, mainly because:
  2. Once we get a Coordinator we need to explore who is victimized by the NFL COVID-19-reduced Salary Cap
:snoop:

My expectations are low.

I hated the 2020 draft but am pleasantly surprised by AJ, Kamal, Barnes, etc. Our 2019 draft class will look great if Gary continues his trajectory with more snaps. Have nothing bad to say about Keke... maybe Sternberger is decent..

I thought 2020 would be a struggle to win 10 games.

Still, I have no faith in Gutekunst or the front office. Director of College Scouting Matt Malaspin is a disaster. Our drafts haven't been that good especially 2018. Plus, the Packers didn't draft particularly well when Gute was the director of college scouting. His front office is filled with buddies and undistinguished talent evaluators.

Sure, he's hit on a a couple of picks... and yeah he had to go into free agency to get competent starters on defense cause of TT's bad drafts since 2011... but really this front office has been subpar since 2010. At least with TT, he was surrounded by some of the best young talent evaluators in the business when he was hired. Wolf handed him John Schneider, Reggie McKenzie, and John Dorsey.

Conversely, TT handed Gutekunst a bunch of guys who will never be GMs. Jon Eric-Sullivan, Milt Hendrickson, John Wojciechowski, and Matt Malaspina aren't even getting any looks by other teams despite two straight 13-3 seasons.

Unless we hit on Love, we better pray Aaron plays a few more years cause this ship will sink to irrelevance very fast IMO.

Bboystyle

Bang Bang Packers gang!
Daps
Reppin
So. Cal
fukk this choking ass team and fukk this smoke and mirrors ass offense.

This the last time they suck me into their bullshyt thinking they are contenders. I will not take them serious until we field a top 5 defense in scoring and sacks and we win the NFC ship game.

fukk getting excited about making the playoffs. Save that shyt for Bears or Browns fans. If u aint gonna make the SB, i aint gonna give two shyts any more.

They pulled me back in for the last time

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI
Packers need an identity that doesn't live or die with Rodgers.

The D Coordinator pick will be a franchise defining decision.

with that said, I fully expect it to be a mediocre white guy

FAH1223

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC

Barry Hired As Defensive Coordinator – PACKERS NOTES
bannerfans_2388-5.jpg

Written by Michael Rodney, 02/06/2021
Less than 24 hours after Jim Leonhard turned the job down, Matt LaFleur named Joe Barry the Packers’ new defensive coordinator. The 50-year-old will replace Mike Pettine, who’s contract expired last month. Barry spent the past four seasons as assistant head coach/linebackers with the Rams and just 10 days ago agreed to join the Chargers as linebackers coach and passing game coordinator.

Barry has been a defensive coordinator twice before. LaFleur must be hoping the third time is the charm because his prior stops were unmitigated disasters. Detroit finished last in yards allowed in both of Barry’s seasons, and Washington finished 28th in yards allowed in both of his seasons. To be fair, neither team was blessed with an abundance of talent. The best player on those Lions’ defenses was probably defensive end Cliff Avril. The talent was slightly better with The Football Team, but he still had to rely on the likes of defensive linemen Chris Baker, Jason Hatcher, and Ricky Jean Francois, linebacker Keenan Robinson, and defensive backs Bashaud Breeland, Kyshoen Jarrett, and Will Blackmon. Needless to say, he’ll have a lot more talent to work with in Green Bay.

Since taking over as GM in 2018, Brian Gutekunst has spent over $200 million in free agency on defensive players and three of his four first-round draft picks have been spent on that side of the ball. The Packers had two All-Pros on defense (corner Jaire Alexander and outside linebacker Za’Darius Smith) this season, and nose tackle Kenny Clark played in the Pro Bowl a year ago. Add in one of the better safety tandems in the league (Adrian Amos and Darnell Savage) and an ascending pass rusher (Rashan Gary), and a lack of talent shouldn’t be an issue for Barry this time around. The real issue is simple – is he the right man for the job?

That question can’t be answered now. While it’s impossible to be excited about hiring a coordinator whose four defenses ranged from historically bad to just plain awful, it should be pointed out that Barry is held in high esteem around the league. Not only did Sean McVay hire him to be his assistant head coach, but he was the only Rams’ assistant Brandon Staley took with him to the Chargers. It says something when two of the brightest young minds in the game want you around. Then again, neither wanted him to be their defensive coordinator (hey, I tried). But seriously, working under Staley and Wade Phillips the past four seasons has to have made a positive impact on Barry. Plus, besides Leonhard, who on the long list of candidates would’ve been a clearly better choice? Ejiro Eviro, Ryan Nielsen, Chris Harris, and Chris Kiffin are unknown commodities, and would you be any more excited about fellow retreads Jerry Gray and Bob Sutton?

As for his style of play, Barry liberally mixed the 4-3 with the 3-4 in his prior two stops, but he’ll likely stick more with the 3-4 as his base defense in Green Bay. That’s what Phillips and Staley used the past four seasons in Los Angeles, and it’s the scheme the Packers employed with Pettine. That said, it wouldn’t be a surprise to see Gary with his hand on the ground more often. There are plenty of scouts who thought he was better suited for defensive end than outside linebacker in the NFL. Another player whose fate could be affected by this hiring is Preston Smith, who played under Barry in Washington. It’ll be very interesting to see if that makes Gutekunst more likely to restructure the veteran’s contract as opposed to releasing him.

Look, it’s hard to argue that the Packers made an upgrade by going from Pettine to Barry. The former had a much better resume when he was hired by Mike McCarthy in 2018, and despite all the criticism he took this season, his defense did finish ninth in yards allowed and 13th in points allowed. But this was never solely about getting a better coordinator. It was also about getting a better fit. LaFleur was forced to keep Pettine when he took the job 25 months ago, and the two never felt like a good match. In fact, I can’t remember a head coach of the Packers ever being so openly critical of his defensive coordinator. Simply put, this was an arranged marriage, and like most arranged marriages in pro sports, it didn’t work. Think back to when Ted Thompson was forced to keep Mike Sherman, or when Gutekunst was forced to keep McCarthy?

It’s fair to be disappointed in this hire. In fact, you’d be crazy not to be. That said, there are some things to like about Barry. He’s considered a good teacher, and he’ll bring an energy to the practice field and to the sidelines that was missing under Pettine. My guess is that the defense will do a lot more swarming and a lot less standing around next season. And while that’ll be great to see, it doesn’t mean he’ll be able to match wits with quality quarterbacks – something he better be able to do with Matthew Stafford, Lamar Jackson, Baker Mayfield, Ben Roethlisberger, Russell Wilson, and Kyler Murray all on the schedule next season.

LaFleur just made either the smartest or the stupidest decision of his professional career. We’ll soon find out which, but for right now, you at least have to give him kudos for the size of his cojones. Of all the candidates, Barry was the one that absolutely nobody outside of the Barry household wanted him to hire. Still, there is something to be said for not making the obvious choice. In fact, legendary poet Robert Frost wrote these words over 100 years ago: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I/ I took the one less traveled by/And that has made all the difference. Let’s hope that road doesn’t eventually lead to the unemployment line.

@FloorGeneral
@ThaRebel
@Tical
@Upshall
@Darealtwo1
@Don De Dieu
@CJ14
@bsmooth
@Stelio Kontos
@Monster
@SHAQAVELLI
@ThiefyPoo