"Purple Rain", 1984 rock musical drama film with Prince (R.I.P.)

mr x

Superstar
Daps
Y'all always getting at cats for not seeing movies you've seen :skip:

Daps
Reppin
St louis
wat6rr.jpg

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
Not in sales or public opinion and are we really going to act like history will be kind to him? He'll be forgotten quite easily and that's a tragedy

Every good Prince album has sold very well. His releases in the 90s were very hit or miss so cats stopped checking for new Prince music like that. Add in his distant relationship with his old fans and complete non existence to new audiences and you can see why he hasn't really carried that huge megastar status outside the black audience. For damn near a decade if you didn't just go buy his album straight up you couldn't hear his music (legally) outside the 5 songs they played on the radio. How can you endure the next generation to your product if it's not available for introduction? They guy stopped touring officially and would just do pop up dates that only his hardcore fans and scalpers found out about. And then at some of those shows he wouldn't even play music you wanted to hear, he would play what he wanted to hear.

As great as Prince was he was very distant from his old and new fans. Reading about how he needed drugs to function around people due to anxiety makes a lot of sense now. I mean who has a policy where staff at hotels you are staying in can't look you in the eye. That's some crazy shyt. Prince never did convey that feeling that you were actually there with him and sharing a moment in time that many other mega stars are able to do naturally. Prince kinda just does his thing and then he is gone. You rarely hear of any positive stories told of interactions with Prince and the general public. It's always something that happened with him and his inner circle behind closed doors.

It's as if he was being great solely for proving to himself that he is great, who cares about the general public and their opinions on anything.

Last edited:

R-Typ3

All Star
Daps
Father's Song..

God (Love Theme)

I Would Die 4 U

I never wanted 2 be your weekend lover..i only wanted 2 be some kinda friend yeahh..(Chellos kick in) Baby, I could never steal u from ano-ther..It's such a shame our friendship haad 2 ennd.. :salute:

Spiritual Stratocaster

Jesus is KING
Supporter
Daps
:stylin:♪ My jungle love, yeah (oh we oh we oh)
I think I wanna know ya (know ya)
Jungle love (oh we oh we oh)
Girl, I'd love to show ya (show ya)♪

:whew: This my favorite Prince song off the strength of watching the movie "Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back" so many times.

So that line about "purifying yourself in Lake Mintonka" from the Prince "Chappelle Show" skit came from this movie?
:bryan:

mr x

Superstar
Daps
Yea, prince won't be forgotten....

But be 100 though. How many names are mentioned before prince is and how many should be mentioned before prince?

Prince has the pen of dylan, the riff skills of page, the composition of Q and the vocals of plant....all in one man. He shouldn't be known as no top 10, 15, etc GOAT. He should be top 5 DOA...which I think is what we're getting at.

speaking of dylan...he got a nobel prize :leon:

they gotta give one to nas then. the hitchcock of hip hop since big pop departed