Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • 5 (it works)

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 4 17.4%

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • 10 (Premier institution of Black Excellence)

Votes: 7 30.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
did they fix those dorms :scust:

I remember the students camping out at the Blackburn Center in protest. With that MacKenzie Scott money they better have

211115-Howard-University-protest-al-1327-d07cd6.jpg

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
I walked around the campus a few years ago. Didn’t look great. Also, the money/dorm issues are concerning.

That’s an impressive alumni group though

Yeah they need an infrastructure upgrade program for the dorms and some class buildings (minus the historic ones). They are revamping the dining annex at Bethune but maybe they need to do the whole living area over. Some of their labs (like for CS) are pretty nice on the inside though.

Honestly, Howard seems to have less "new" buildings it seems than some other peer HBCUs, even smaller ones. I might check out their capital budget to see what they are doing.

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Let’s be for real this is the best HBCU (no disrespect to Spelman). First off it’s a university so you can go to Howard and end up as a Doctor, lawyer, Dentist, Pharmacist or get your MBA. That alone gets you high marks. Going to a university >> going to a college.

The only reason I’m not giving it a ten is because they sent me my acceptance letter in August. Like nikka da fukk I already paid Stonybrook deposits and everything.

I wanted to attend first, but their admissions office was trash:francis:

I walked around the campus a few years ago. Didn’t look great. Also, the money/dorm issues are concerning.

Honestly, I think a bunch of powerful HBCU alumni and donors need to get together and create an independent audit organization of HBCUs finance and administrations and force them to publish metrics on handling time for student complaints, financial aid, applications etc. The donors would listen to the audit committee and pressure schools to improve accordingly. Yes the audit committee would be Black, HBCU alum, and paid from a special fund the schools must collectively contribute to. They audit committee would also run a private ombudsman to receive student complaints.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind if they contracted out the back office of many HBCUs with professional people with no school affiliation. There are Black owned contract employee companies for the government that could easily handle this. There is no good reason for this fukkery in the 21st century.

Coco Loco

The Chocolate One with the Gold Cuffs
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
This is my husband's alma mater. If they can get their financial issues together they'd be the GOAT HBCU. Growing up in DC it felt like I went there, so when it came time to pick a college I didn't even consider it. With that said, I'm always at homecoming like I did though lol

If you've never been to an HU homecoming you're missing out. In high school we used to stay our fast tails on GA ave homecoming weekend

King Poetic

The D.O.G.( Disciple Of God)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bottom of the Lake
I rated it a 6

Great school, but I been hearing and reading about students complaining about dorm conditions and other facilities being fukked up over the past several years and administration isn’t doing anything about it..

But didn’t Bezos ex wife donated millions to them and others

YaThreadFloppedB!

The Patron Saint of Threads
Daps
Reppin
The Bushes
HU!!!

we bringing baseball back to The Mecca too
:blessed:

all honestly though admin can be way better and i’m tired of hearing the “well that’s all HBCUs” excuse. there is no incentive for better if we are content with the status quo.

also the car break ins are a concern. in the past two weeks one of my homegirls had her window busted and the airbag stolen, the other had her car stolen…broad daylight too.

Howard needs to buy and rebuild all the way from Halfsmoke up GA ave. That whole street can be vibrant.

Lastly, I’m in the bio, chem, and physics building heavy. Those buildings do not compare to the Political Science and Business buildings. Which is weird because Howard boasts of all the black doctors they push thru. The community college I transferred from had better pipettes and other lab equipment than Howard does. I’m in Physics II having to wait for other students to finish their lab so I can use their equipment. Unsat.

Still love my school 🦬

Last edited:

Rollie Forbes

Drapetomaniac.
Daps
This is my husband's alma mater. If they can get their financial issues together they'd be the GOAT HBCU. Growing up in DC it felt like I went there, so when it came time to pick a college I didn't even consider it. With that said, I'm always at homecoming like I did though lol

If you've never been to an HU homecoming you're missing out. In high school we used to stay our fast tails on GA ave homecoming weekend
Side note, somebody might need to make a GA Ave Day thread one day. :jbhmm:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Honestly, I think a bunch of powerful HBCU alumni and donors need to get together and create an independent audit organization of HBCUs finance and administrations and force them to publish metrics on handling time for student complaints, financial aid, applications etc. The donors would listen to the audit committee and pressure schools to improve accordingly. Yes the audit committee would be Black, HBCU alum, and paid from a special fund the schools must collectively contribute to. They audit committee would also run a private ombudsman to receive student complaints.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind if they contracted out the back office of many HBCUs with professional people with no school affiliation. There are Black owned contract employee companies for the government that could easily handle this. There is no good reason for this fukkery in the 21st century.
The shenanigans are what kept me from scoring them a 10.

Also, have to keep thanking you for this series. We can start having informed conversations about HBCU related topics on these forums once the series is complete. Gigglers and googlers will have no excuse to not be able to keep up in those discussions.

King Poetic

The D.O.G.( Disciple Of God)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Bottom of the Lake
HU!!!

we bringing baseball back to The Mecca too
:blessed:

all honestly though admin can be way better and i’m tired of hearing the “well that’s all HBCUs” excuse. there is no incentive for better if we are content with the status quo.

also the car break ins are a concern. in the past two weeks one of my homegirls had her window busted and the airbag stolen, the other had her car stolen…broad daylight too.

Howard needs to buy and rebuild all the way from Halfsmoke up GA ave. That whole street can be vibrant.

:what: nikkas stealing airbags

Rollie Forbes

Drapetomaniac.
Daps

Forgive me for stating the obvious, but it seems like money (both the lack and the misappropriation) is the main thing that hinders our schools.
If there was a single BLACK-controlled governing body that could regulate & monitor the funding & financials for our HBCUs; then there's no doubt in my mind that our schools would lose their second-tier stigma, and could beat PWIs in several categories.