Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • 5 (it works)

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 4 17.4%

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • 10 (Premier institution of Black Excellence)

Votes: 7 30.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BrehWyatt

Let me work.
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
#TSC
Based on the reverence it carries in discussions -- on and off this board -- I feel like it has to be a 10.

-2 for bureaucratic/admin BS that seems to hold back most HBCUs/smaller colleges, though. So 8.

AceMan

Superstar
Daps
Gave it an 8. Should be a 11/10 off the rep and prestige, but Howard has fallen off due to the issues posted above.

I'll add that the Greek fraternities at Howard are some of the worst reps...which is a shame because most fraternities' Alpha chapters (first chapter created in their history) are at Howard. Smh

But, definitely go to a Howard Homecoming if you haven't been. Brehs, DEFINITELY go to any networking event their alumni have. :mjgrin:

Buddy

Keep my name out of it
Daps
4cd5b981d4aa11904022ddb63e19c2ff.gif

Not much to say but repeat the others. 10 in terms of prestige/legacy but currently I'd say maybe 7.

My cousin was planning to go there and wound up visiting at the time they were having the protests :snoop: Students talking with him about it and all.... He took a full ride to USC instead :mjcry:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Forgive me for stating the obvious, but it seems like money (both the lack and the misappropriation) is the main thing that hinders our schools.
If there was a single BLACK-controlled governing body that could regulate & monitor the funding & financials for our HBCUs;.

Have to air out the misappropriators. Former President of Kentucky State was just exposed by a state audit. What's left of the Black press didn't cover the story. Either from "not wanting to put schools/leaders in a bad light", or he was their frat brother, or whatever reason. fukk THAT.
Air him/them out.

Rollie Forbes

Drapetomaniac.
Daps
Have to air out the misappropriators. Former President of Kentucky State was just exposed by a state audit. What's left of the Black press didn't cover the story. Either from "not wanting to put schools/leaders in a bad light", or he was their frat brother, or whatever reason. fukk THAT.
Air him/them out.
This.

Ozymandeas

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Howard University, my old nemesis. :russ: Obviously, those who know, Hampton and Howard had a rivalry as old as time, nonetheless it’s always love. It’s funny because this was the school I wanted to attend first, but their admissions office was trash:francis: all in all, historic university, timeless alumni and in a predominantly black community. I’ll give it a 8 just for the culture of black excellence, even though they got their share of skeletons like any other school. Their Band is trash tho:mjlol:

Administration was super trash. I hated dealing with them but that’s most HBCUs unfortunately.

Enzo

The Great
Daps
Reppin
DMV
Going to Howard Law was an experience like none other. Obviously I didn’t enjoy the fruits of alumni that I would have had I went to Georgetown or GW, but the way I was able to learn and analyze law through the lens of Howard and Charles Hamilton Houston really shaped who I am today. In addition, it’s much easier to get a firm job or a clerkship excelling at Howard because that’s usually where they go for the affirmative action picks. There’s a saying. T14+ Howard. And it’s much harder to stand out at GW or Gtown even with stellar grades because most of the other folks there have legacy family connections, experience, etc.

Howard is the Mecca plain and simple. Does it have its problems? Of course. Wouldn’t it be better if alumni did a better job of giving back. Of course. But they’re so scarred by their past experience they don’t and hence we’re left picking at morsels from Uncle Sugar.

I say all that to say…

HU

you know!

Coco Loco

The Chocolate One with the Gold Cuffs
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Side note, somebody might need to make a GA Ave Day thread one day. :jbhmm:

BAAAAABY :pachaha:

Cutting up on GA ave/U street is a DC right of passage. That was a time. The fact that we blended in with the Howard girls didn't do us any favors. I'm not even gonna talk about the Caribbean Festival. Tropical fukkery

:lolbron:

Stuntone

Louisiana Made, DC PAID!
Daps
Reppin
IT Cert-Gang Mafia, GMB and HOH
Hampton >>>>>>>>

I wouldn't dare send my Daughter to Hampton over Howard. Howard girls get dogged and dugged out. Nothing but a Grambling of the North. DC is a shyt hole with a ton of distractions of a young person.

Howard produces a lot of Professional Foever Single Career Driven women.

Hampton produces Wives.

Ozymandeas

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Went to Howard. One of the best periods of my life. You feel the history the moment you walk on the grounds of the school. And the teachers….they were amazing. I’ll never forget my English professor and a few others. I changed so much from my time there as my eyes were opened from all the things they failed to teach us in high school about our people and our contributions to the world. Washington D.C. is also such an elite city to be in. I’m from the Philly area so it was weird because Philly is much larger than D.C. both in terms of land and population but D.C. felt bigger in terms of being a more cosmopolitan city. I remember my first night at Howard in my room, I had the most perfect view of the Washington Monument. It looked like I was in Rome or something :wow: The administration was trash but you rarely had to deal with them so it was tolerable. I made a lot of friends at the school. I can’t recommend it enough. It really was like living out the TV show A Different Show. I can’t look at stuff about HU too long because I’ll get too nostalgic :mjcry:

Last edited:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Also, on top of the MANY firsts associated with Howard U., the school has notable sports achievements also

The Grandfather of Black basketball was Howard alum and Basketball Hall of Famer E.B Henderson

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Howard is the first and only HBCU to win an NCAA championship.

image001.jpeg

Common is producing a film about this story. They actually won two championships, but the film will cover the controversy.

Howard has had international Black students since 1869 when a Bermudian student enrolled. The soccer club was founded in 1929.

soccer-1932.jpg

Last edited:

Human Torch

Byrd Gang 🦅
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Philly born. PG raised
:blessed: The mecca

The memories
The bytches
The education
The vibes
The history

:francis: the student loans

The crazy thing is growing up in PG, Howard didn’t have nearly the rep it did other places and I kinda stumbled into going there because of athletics but the older I get the more I appreciate it.

Ozymandeas

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I was accepted here for the 2013-14 school year, my age 24 year. Should have gone, decided not to. One of the major regrets of my life...

10/10, I don't know everything about it but I'd say it's probably the quintessential HBCU...

It’s okay breh but you would’ve enjoyed it. I was 21 when I started. Nick Cannon was pushing 40 and went to Howard when I was there. He probably added 2 baby mamas off going there alone smh.

Last edited: