Votes: 1 6.3%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5 (it works)

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • 10 (Premier institution of Black Excellence)

Votes: 9 56.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
240px-Morehouse_college_seal.svg.png
Morehouse_College_Logo.jpg

We last covered H. Councill Trenholm State Community College which received an average score of 6.

See the updated leaderboard here

Morehouse College needs little introduction. Part of the big three of the HBCUs including Spelman College (Day 33) and Howard University (Day 50), Morehouse College is the only all-male HBCU and one of the most outstanding by all measures. It has one of the top five largest endowments, following only Howard, Spelman, Hampton, and Meharry Medical College, one of the highest graduation rates, and some of the highest starting salaries, especially for liberal arts majors. Its traditions are renowned, its alumni include powerhouses unmatched elsewhere such as MLK, and it is the poster child for exemplary leadership in its formative years.

Morehouse College is in Atlanta and part of the Atlanta University Center but it was not always so. When it was founded in 1867 to educate Baptist clergy and teachers for freed slaves, it was founded in Augusta, Georgia as the Augusta Institute. The two men instrumental in its founding were Richard Coulter, an escaped slave from Augusta who fled to DC and then Philadelphia during the Civil War and was trained as a Baptist minister and Rev. William J. White, a White Baptist who helped Coulter obtain help, funds, and the first teachers. It was not until 1879 that the school was moved to Atlanta by then President Joseph Thomas Robert and renamed the Atlanta Baptist Seminary. However, the location was not ideal since it was located next to the train switching yard and a lumber mill and had no room to expand for dormitories. In 1890, Morehouse moved within Atlanta to its current location in the West End and in 1897 it became a college being renamed the Atlanta Baptist College. The same year it also completed its first large building, now known as Graves Hall after President Samuel Graves who oversaw its construction. In 1913, it would receive a new charter from the State of Georgia and name itself Morehouse College after the White philanthropist Rev. Henry Lyman Morehouse, the Corresponding Secretary of the American Baptist Home Mission Society. Like Spelman, one of its primary benefactors funding its growth and expansion was John D. Rockefeller (whose wife's maiden name was Spelman).

Morehouse then began its gradual strengthening as a liberal arts institution and diversification away from a reliance on theology studies. It would retain Baptist theological studies until the founding of the Interdenominational Theological Center which absorbed its theology department. Morehouse was blessed by many visionary and strong leaders such as John Hope, who founded and organized the Atlanta University Center, and Benjamin Mays, who solidified Morehouse's standing as not only a top HBCU but a top center of higher education. He would also change the world with his mentoring of many prominent Morehouse grads such as Martin Luther King Jr. Benjamin Mays also oversaw the creation of the Interdenominational Theological Center to centralize the many Black seminaries of various denominations in the area.

The title a "Morehouse Man" is one of the most prestigious and well-known accolades in the Black community not just in the US, but globally. Morehouse alumni have risen to top positions in science, politics, and entertainment. What many people do not know is that Morehouse is influential in that it is the top feeder of Black men to the top business and law schools in the country such as Harvard, etc. Therefore, graduation statistics alone underestimate the role Morehouse plays in creating the Black elite class.

With continued good leadership and the decline and fall of affirmative action in US higher education, Morehouse, like other top HBCUs, may yet continue its current success and even rise to greater heights in the 21st century.

Morehouse as the Augusta Institute
morehouse-augusta.png

Morehouse's first home in Atlanta
Morehouse-atlanta.png

Founded
: 1867

City, State: Atlanta, GA

Type: 4-Year Private

Nickname: Tigers

Enrollment and percent Black enrollment: 2,554 (all undergraduate), 98% Black

Part-time student percentage: 14%

First Generation Student Percentage: 20%

Percentage of students from households under $30k/over $100k: 39% / 18%

Out of State Percentage: 72% (Top States: Georgia, New York, Illinois, California, Maryland, Texas, North Carolina, Pennsylvania)

Student-to-Faculty Ratio: 12:1

Admissions Acceptance Rate: 65%

4-yr/6-yr graduation rates: 33% / 54%

Transfer out rate: 31%

Male/Female percentages (Female:Male Ratio): 100% male/ 0% female

Tuition: $30k

Median Federal Debt After Graduation: $25k

Median Parent PLUS Loans After Graduation: $87k

Median Earning 10-Years after 10 years from freshman year: $52k

Median Earnings for specific majors after 3 years after graduation:
Economics: $84k, Biology: $72k, Business Administration: $62k, English: $52k, Political Science: $52k

Top Majors by Degrees:
Business Administration, Biology, Visual & Performing Arts, Political Science, Sociology, Economics

Endowment: ~$280M (including $20M from MacKenzie Scott)

Alumni Engagement: 17% of alumni give back

Athletic Conference: SIAC, NCAA Div II

Mascot: Maroon Tigers

morehouse.gif

Main Campus

Graves Hall

layer-24-2560x1440.png

morehouse-college_001.jpg

AX37_009.0000146F.jpg

Thomas Kilgore Jr. Campus Center
Kilgore_Campus_Center%2C_Morehouse_College%2C_2016.jpg

Harvey Stadium
Stadium-Reno-1.JPG

Forbes Arena
1995_MH_Gym_2.jpeg

House of Funk Marching Band
15065883868_7a5ca9a82b_b.jpg

TuskegeeMorehouseParadeSP051.jpg

Morehouse College Glee Club
Founded in 1911 and world famous
ev_MCGC-2-05ea44a9bd.jpg

morehouse-glee-club.JPG

Miss Maroon & White (Spelman and CAU women)

maxresdefault.jpg

@Uachet @Peachstate @RealCrownHeights @Smoke @getmoney310cpt @Pegasus Jackson @NoMoreWhiteWoman2020
@ab.aspectus @Originalman @#1 pick @Ziggiy @SupaVillain @Tug life @Idaeo @get these nets @MostReal @Bryan Danielson @Rollie Forbes @Sonic Boom of the South @staticshock @Charlie Hustle @BigAggieLean. @Optimus Prime @How Sway? @DropTopDoc @Johnny seawolf

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
Notable Alumni:

Go here too. I can't do the full list justice.

Martin Luther King Jr. - theologian, preacher, GOAT civil rights leader
636506861281833620-XXX-MLK-MOREHOUSE-COLLEGE-GRADUATION-96319291.JPG

Julian Bond - civil rights activist and SNCC co-founder
200px-Julian_Bond_%2848591893556%29.jpg

John Wesley Dobbs - prominent Black community leader in pre-Civil Rights Atlanta
John_Wesley_Dobbs.jpg

James Compton - former Chicago Urban League CEO and board member Ariel Investments
1641793368-picture-11096-1415894750.jpg

Walter E. Massey - physicist, former Morehouse president and public servant
204px-Jimmy_Carter_at_the_lab_with_Argonne_director_Walter_E._Massey.jpg

John H. Hopps - nuclear physicist and engineer, director at MIT Draper lab, deputy Undersecretary of Defense
john-hopps-the-scientist.jpg

Dr. David Satcher - former US Surgeon General
164px-David_Satcher_official_photo_portrait.jpg

Lerone Bennett - long time executive editor of Ebony and author of Before the Mayflower
LeroneBennettPipe1973.jpg

Spike Lee - iconic director
169px-Spike_Lee_Cannes_2018.jpg

Samuel L. Jackson - an actor goddamnit
160px-SamuelLJackson.jpg

John David Washington - actor (Black Kkklansman, Tenet) and former football player
160px-JohnDavidWashington.jpg

Guru (Keith Elam) - rapper and Gang Starr founder
167px-Guru_%28rapper%29.jpg

Jeh Johnson - former Secretary of Homeland Security
192px-Jeh_Johnson_official_DHS_portrait.jpg

Herman Cain - Godfather's Pizza CEO, prominent Black Republican and former presidential candidate
196px-Herman_Cain_by_Gage_Skidmore_4.jpg

Raphael Warnock - senator from Georgia and former pastor at Ebenezer Baptist Church
192px-Raphael_Warnock_official_photo.jpg

Last edited:

Rollie Forbes

Drapetomaniac.
Daps
Being blessed to have a college tour of Morehouse is the reason that I decided to attend an HBCU.
You're right, @DrBanneker, you'd run out of room if you tried to list all of Morehouse's notable alums. You would need a good amount of space just to list the Spike Lee-affiliated actors who attended Morehouse (R.I.P. Bill Nunn).

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
I give it a ten..historic school, very notable alumni, great tradition, great academics..only thing they’re lacking on is the band

I don’t think I would have gotten in if I applied in high school :pachaha:
Knowing what I know now, I definitely would have applied & applied myself more to meet their standards. A lot of us were ignorant in high school..we said we weren’t going to apply because we didn’t want to go to an all boys school & we thought it was gay. 17 year old me didn’t know Morehouse has a ton of black people in power in Atlanta. No matter what field a breh works in, he’s almost guaranteed to get hired anywhere because they look out for their own.

Probably my 3rd favorite school behind the GOAT Alabama State & Southern University

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Great profile. Notable alumni list is exceptional, outside of Denzel's son. hehehehe
We posted a recent story about Morehouse , among a set of schools working under a UNCF program to boost retention and graduation numbers.

New initiative aims to boost graduation rates at historically Black colleges​

PBS NewsHour
May 2, 2023
As we enter another graduation season, historically Black colleges and universities are working hard to increase the number of students who walk across their stages in the years to come. One program is doing that by focusing on reenrollment and giving students access to one-on-one educational support. Hari Sreenivasan reports from Atlanta for our series, Rethinking College

Definitely a step in the right direction.

The thing is, they have the history, and resources of the top tier HBCUs, and technically are drawing from the same pool of students, but the graduation numbers are not in step with those other schools.

NoMoreWhiteWoman2020

RIP Kobe, the best
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CTE
I attended, and my dad is one of the oldest graduates from there, he graduated at age 56. He was the Residence Director of the West End Apartments and later White Hall. I grew up there during the 90s and that experience changed my life.

I stayed in White Hall while John David Washington was there. I stayed fighting the Clark Atlanta boys, and overall it was just the best.

11/10

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
I attended, and my dad is one of the oldest graduates from there, he graduated at age 56. He was the Residence Director of the West End Apartments and later White Hall. I grew up there during the 90s and that experience changed my life.

I stayed in White Hall while John David Washington was there. I stayed fighting the Clark Atlanta boys, and overall it was just the best.

11/10

Do y’all share dorms with CAU?

NoMoreWhiteWoman2020

RIP Kobe, the best
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CTE
Do y’all share dorms with CAU?
I don’t know how the apartments work, but CAU only had one male dorm, Brawley Hall. And back when Stegalls Wings was still open, we had to walk the Promenade to get there and to the Library. So it was always some shyt, and I remember at the CAU-Morehouse game we had a huge brawl on the promenade shyt was fun and crazy as hell.

It wasn’t all bad though, we used to smoke major blunts on top of Brawley Hall, sometimes we had like 20-25 blunts all going at once.

I was there when they had the major drug and gun bust, I think like 50 folks got hemmed up. Glad I wasn’t part of that.