Votes: 1 6.3%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5 (it works)

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • 10 (Premier institution of Black Excellence)

Votes: 9 56.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DropTopDoc

20/20 Vision With my Buffs On
Daps
Reppin
South Side Chicago to Nola
Yea, we do have a bit of a PR problem when it comes to people thinking we are stuck-up and classist. My wife surprises a lot of people when they find out she went to Spelman. She seems so down to earth, compared to what their image of what a Spelman woman would be like.

It is kind of hilarious when they say a bunch of negative stuff about how stuck-up they think we are, not knowing they are talking to some. My wife normally just pulls out her Spelman keychain and smile.
My home girl from chiropractic school is a spellman grad cool peeps

Memorial Stadium Piru

WE BYKE BABY
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Big Red
This was my dream school since I was 6 years old. It was the black Harvard in my mind. I got accepted my senior year of high school & literally started crying.....

Then I found out they gave me $0 in financial aid & the cost of attendance was damn near 60 racks a year :why:

I ended up going to an in-state PWI

Pegasus Jackson

Trump's Amerikkka
Daps
Reppin
ATLANTA ZONE 6
Wait, what years were you down there? I was there from 89-93'. I remember Clark and Morehouse having a beef then, though I do not remember what it was about. I do remember walking right up on the Clark brothers with my Morehouse sweatshirt on, and one of them saying "Naw, that brother is cool." Did not see who said it, but was probably some brother that was in NROTC with me since it had students from all of the undergrad campuses in the AUC.

College beef. :mjlol:

God, I remember walking from Morehouse to the Morris Brown "Towers" (if you know you know) trying to start shyt and a few times it actually cracked off and people were bloodied. In retrospect, it was lame as Hell.

Charlie Hustle

Light Bringer
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Sin City
I give it a ten..historic school, very notable alumni, great tradition, great academics..only thing they’re lacking on is the band

I don’t think I would have gotten in if I applied in high school :pachaha:
Knowing what I know now, I definitely would have applied & applied myself more to meet their standards. A lot of us were ignorant in high school..we said we weren’t going to apply because we didn’t want to go to an all boys school & we thought it was gay. 17 year old me didn’t know Morehouse has a ton of black people in power in Atlanta. No matter what field a breh works in, he’s almost guaranteed to get hired anywhere because they look out for their own.

Probably my 3rd favorite school behind the GOAT Alabama State & Southern University

We played Morehouse in 99 at Alcorn. The had a small band but they gave us a great battle in the 5th quarter. They came with a solid book and sounded good. They didn't try to overblow, and played to fit their size. That 5th quarter lasted around 2 hours and is one of my most memorible 5ths.

RealCrownHeights

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Bucktown
My Alma Matter. Was waiting till I got home to do this.

I give it a 10 based off prestige, experience, and the doors it's opened for me. Every job I've had, and most job interviews, my school was a tremendous selling point to them and a point of interest.

Olive Branch
:ahh:

Hump Wednesday 's

40 Griffin
Someone gave me $20 while I was walking down the street when I had a hoodie on one time.

Most if not all my friends are successful are on their way, 2 and tier 10 MBA schools, 1 lawyer, a few doctors and engineers.

My regret's are that I didn't network more , didn't pick the right major, have a car, take my Freshmen year seriously or study abroad.

Alot of :dame: but that actually works in your favor as Spelman is there and Clark is like 65-70% women. Alot of bougie folks and weirdo's but surprisingly some hood adjacent people too. During orientation, they asked us why we picked Morehouse, and mans from Baltimore who stayed upstairs said " Well I saw Boyz in the Hood ant my life was like that, and at the end he went to Morehouse so I said why not?

3 Piece suits for no reason, any season literally.

I think I can say without a shadow of a doubt, if a young black man attends this institution and does the right thing, you have an 80% chance of being successful.

Another thing, going there then reading "Our Kind of People" opened my eyes. My roommate freshman and sophomore year was 3'rd generation Morehouse, one of my homie's godfather's is a famous comedian. It was really important to see affluent and successful black families and student's and that really motivated me.

Last edited:

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
I don’t know how the apartments work, but CAU only had one male dorm, Brawley Hall. And back when Stegalls Wings was still open, we had to walk the Promenade to get there and to the Library. So it was always some shyt, and I remember at the CAU-Morehouse game we had a huge brawl on the promenade shyt was fun and crazy as hell.

It wasn’t all bad though, we used to smoke major blunts on top of Brawley Hall, sometimes we had like 20-25 blunts all going at once.

I was there when they had the major drug and gun bust, I think like 50 folks got hemmed up. Glad I wasn’t part of that.

Man I wish Morris Brown had accreditation when I graduated high school. I woulda been up there with y’all in my purple :myman:

S/o to all the Morehouse alum..my future son will only be allowed to apply to Alabama State, Morehouse or Georgia Tech :wow:

AggiePride336.

Black American. The Sipp/Carolina.
Daps
Reppin
ATL via Tre 4
My daughters Godfather is a Morehouse grad, and two brothers I consider brothers graduated from there. Did the dual degree program at Morehouse and A&T. They brought me out to their homecoming, Spelhouse, and I had the time of my life. All pretty successful, and say nothing but good things about their time at the university. They came down from California, and spoke on how their time at Morehouse made them never want to go back out west, and they now live down south.

Gotta homie I worked with at the airlines, graduated from there, and was able to use his connections to help me get on with another company when I was laid off. Nothing but good things to say on my end about the university. If I had a son, I’d want him to attend that school.

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
vs Howard? which is better?

I would say Morehouse overall is the more elite institution--smaller and more selective. Howard is great but is the biggest HBCU and has a lot wider variation of people. However, though Morehouse is better in the liberal arts sense, Howard has more breadth of majors. Certain Howard majors (business, supply chain, engineering/IT) will put you at the top of HBCU graduate earnings. Howard drama grads are some of the top young Blacks in Hollywood.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

Moraine Valley Community College creating pathways for students to continue education at HBCUs​

: Nov 27, 2023

A student walks on campus at Moraine Valley Community College in Palos Hills. The college recently signed agreements with two historically Black colleges and universities that can help students further their studies at HBCUs.

A student walks on campus at Moraine Valley Community College in Palos Hills. The college recently signed agreements with two historically Black colleges and universities that can help students further their studies at HBCUs. (MVCC)

Officials at Moraine Valley Community College are make it easier for students to transfer to historically Black colleges and universities after concluding their studies at the school in Palos Hills.

A transfer agreement MVCC recently inked with Morehouse College in Atlanta, Georgia, comes on the heels of an articulation agreement signed in August with Voorhees University in Denmark, South Carolina.

The latest agreement means Moraine Valley students who are in good standing with at least a 2.7 GPA and an associate degree will accepted as juniors at Morehouse, a men’s college. They also are eligible for reduced tuition, dual admission and the possibility of being accepted into honors programs. Morehouse is a member of the Atlanta University Center Consortium, which includes nearby all-female Spelman College and Clark Atlanta University. It’s also where Martin Luther King Jr. received his bachelor’s degree in sociology in 1948.

A Morehouse graduate has a Morehouse Man logo on his cap during a graduation ceremony in 2022 at the college in Atlanta. Moraine Valley Community College recently signed a transfer agreement with the historically Black college.

A Morehouse graduate has a Morehouse Man logo on his cap during a graduation ceremony in 2022 at the college in Atlanta. Moraine Valley Community College recently signed a transfer agreement with the historically Black college. (Curtis Compton/The Atlanta Journal-Constitution/TNS)
“For us, it’s about saying not only do we have confidence you can be successful here, but you have a pathway to one of the greatest HBCUs in the country,” said Rory Dean Smith, executive director MVCC’s office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion. “The other really great thing about this opportunity is that Morehouse really takes this unique sense of pride in their students and helps to create leaders in this world.”

Smith said two of his nephews and a brother-in-law graduated from Morehouse, “so I can say with great confidence that students would have a terrific experience there.” He added the opportunity is open to students of any race.

“There’s this uniqueness about HBCUs in that they consider their students part of their family and part of their legacy and that kind of connection, belonging and welcoming is transformative,” Smith said.

Black students make up about 9% of Moraine’s student population, and Smith said the college is looking for ways to attract more Black students, including creating these pathways to further studies at HBCUs. Moraine Valley also has invited representatives from HBCUs to campus to recruit prospective students.

With a student population that is also about 27% Hispanic, the agreements are a way to foster opportunities for students from traditionally underserved populations, MVCC officials said.

“Having transfer agreements with HSIs (Hispanic serving institutions) and HBCUs helps bring awareness to our students about the opportunities these institutions can offer and the unique benefits they can provide,” Tina Carney-Simon, the school’s transfer coordinator, said in a news release announcing the latest agreement.

Scott Friedman, MVCC’s dean of Student Engagement, said staff from his school and Morehouse are working together on marketing and Morehouse was offering students preenrollment academic adviser services.

“Even before they are accepted, if students are interested, we’ll help them get connected to Morehouse,” Friedman said. “Obviously there’s a lot of questions advisers and admissions staff can answer in advance.”

Friedman said MVCC had tried to set up transfer agreements with HBCUs in the past, but the physical distance of the schools, based mainly in the southern United States, from Palos Hills made it difficult.

“This opens a lot of doors to our students who are interested in an HBCU because now we have two really solid direct transfer routes for our students,” Friedman said.

Not all the efforts are directed at channeling students to far away schools. MVCC’s local transfer agreements include one with Governors State University, an MSI — minority serving institution — with a 50% minority student population.

Kevin Brookins a trustee at Governors State University, who graduated from Howard University in Washington, D.C., said he had a wonderful experience “being around so many intelligent, ambitious and ultimately successful people from backgrounds similar to mine.

“The classrooms tend to be smaller and therefore more supportive to students. The cost of these HBCUs tend to be less than predominantly white institutions. They also usually have access to better financial aid,” Brookins said