Rate this HBCU Day 72: Fayetteville State University

How would you rate Fayetteville State University?

• 1 (If there are no other options...)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5 (it works)

Votes: 1 50.0%

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • 10 (Premier institution of Black Excellence)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
Fayetteville_State_University_seal.png
Fayetteville_State_University_logo.png

We last covered South Carolina State University which received an average score of 6.3.

See the updated leaderboard here

Today we head to another North Carolina public HBCU, Fayetteville State University. It is the smallest of the public NC HBCUs but one of the oldest dating to the end of the Civil War.

Freed slaves in North Carolina founded several small independent schools in the area that were merged in 1867 to form the Howard School. The 'Howard' here was the same namesake for Howard University, the Freedman Bureau chief General Oliver O. Howard. For many years it was one of the best Black schools in NC and received a state charter to train teachers in 1877 becoming the State Colored Normal School and later the Fayetteville State Teachers College.

Fayetteville State has grown and actually become a lead HBCU producer of nurses. It produces the second largest number of nursing graduates annually, only behind its fellow NC HBCU Winston Salem State Univeristy. It also has a unique fire science department training firefighters and fire inspection personnel that has amongst the highest starting salaries for HBCU grads.

Founded: 1867

City, State: Fayetteville, NC

Type: 4-Year Public

Nickname: Broncos

Enrollment and percent Black enrollment: 6,748 (5,557 undergraduate), 69% Black

Part-time student percentage: 34%

First Generation Student Percentage: 41%

Percentage of students from households under $30k/over $100k: 59% / 3%

Out of State Percentage: 7% (Top States: Washington D.C., South Carolina, Maryland, Virginia)

Student-to-Faculty Ratio: 15:1

Admissions Acceptance Rate: 82%

4-yr/6-yr graduation rates: 23% / 37%

Transfer out rate: 31%

Male/Female percentages (Female:Male Ratio): 30% male/ 70% female (2.3:1 ratio)

Tuition: In-state: $4k, Out-of-state: $8k

Median Federal Debt After Graduation: $23k

Median Parent PLUS Loans After Graduation: $7k

Median Earning 10-Years after 10 years from freshman year: $38k

Median Earnings for specific majors after 3 years after graduation:
Fire Protection: $78k, Registered Nursing: $75k, Computer Science: $48k, Finance: $46k, Accounting: $43k

Top Majors by Degrees:
Registered Nursing, Business Administration, Criminal Justice, Fire Science, Psychology

Endowment: ~$32M

Alumni Engagement: N/A

Athletic Conference: CIAA (NCAA Div II)

Mascot: Bronco

Bronco-Spirit%20Mark-PMS293.jpg

Notable Alumni:
Nicholas Perkins - food business entrepreneur; Fudruckers owner
Nicholas-Perkins_200.jpg

Ed “The Pitmaster” Mitchell – American Royal Barbecue Hall of Fame inductee
ed_mitchell.jpg

Dr. Sylvia Johnson - board member of the U.S. Chemical Safety and Hazard Investigation Board (CSB)
alumni_Sylvia_Johnson_300.jpg

Main Campus

fsu_aerial.jpg

Fayetteville%20State%20University%20campus

Science and Technology Center
040380004_1.jpg

Luther Nick Jeralds Stadium
BroncoCountry_6.jpg

Gym
FSU10-8bfecd845056a34_8bfece6d-5056-a348-3abc649ba6c0eb41.jpg

Marching Bronco Xpress
IMG_1652-e1541784707136.jpg

0d50493ea1ed5b6450c279ab0c743408--marching-bands-college.jpg

Cheerleaders
2939396.jpeg

259948972_96d96edfb4_b.jpg

eXpressions dancers
Fayetteville-State-eXpressions-2019.jpg

259982015_4e7b6edc52_b.jpg

Miss Fayetteville State
ghows-NC-17b96553-77d0-4079-86c9-02e2f856b1cd-f786fc8a.jpeg

Rachel%20Townsend%20300x438.jpg

@norfwestdc @young3000 @murksiderock @Yagirlcheatinonus @JordanwiththeWiz @Sankofa Alwayz @datnigDASTARDLY @Wiseborn
@invalid @Originalman @#1 pick @Ziggiy @SupaVillain @Tug life @Idaeo @get these nets @MostReal @Bryan Danielson @Rollie Forbes @Sonic Boom of the South @staticshock @Charlie Hustle @BigAggieLean. @Optimus Prime @How Sway? @DropTopDoc @Anerdyblackguy

AggiePride336.

Black American. The Sipp/Carolina.
Daps
Reppin
ATL via Tre 4
Damn, Fayetteville State is only 69% black? Kinda surprised.

Anyways, this is a university I keep up with due to my fam on my moms side being from the area (Lumberton). Another HBCU, we (NC) the HBCU kings! This is one of the HBCUs that provide great bang for your buck, as it’s not too expensive to go to school there; especially if you’re from NC. They produce a lot of nurses, and that fire protection program is interesting. Getting in that program is a great way to set yourself up for decent future living.

And since the topic of culture came up in a previous thread, I’ll point out, this is culture. Speaking to the hoteps that say we have no culture lol. HBCUs, overall, are a part of our great culture.

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC

Anyways, this is a university I keep up with due to my fam on my moms side being from the area (Lumberton). Another HBCU, we (NC) the HBCU kings! This is one of the HBCUs that provide great bang for your buck, as it’s not too expensive to go to school there; especially if you’re from NC. They produce a lot of nurses, and that fire protection program is interesting. Getting in that program is a great way to set yourself up for decent future living.

And since the topic of culture came up in a previous thread, I’ll point out, this is culture. Speaking to the hoteps that say we have no culture lol. HBCUs, overall, are a part of our great culture.

Probably Lumbees.

I imagine a lot of the white boys and girls out there in fort Bragg take classes at Fayetteville State. Probably worked out something with the base.
Not just the soldiers, though. Because of Fayetteville's location deep in The Sandhills, the only schools of note in the area are the two universities in The Ville, Campbell, and UNCP...

So I wouldn't call The Sandhills an education-starved region, necessarily. But the four universities are all spread out from each other; MU and FSU, incidentally, are both in North Fayetteville just 5 miles apart though 🤣 but Campbell is a half hour drive north of Methodist, and UNCP is 40 miles south of FSU...

So there aren't a "ton" of higher education options in the region, and I believe FSU is the cheapest. All Sandhills universities offer benefits to soldiers and family of soldiers, that isn't unique to the Fayetteville schools, but FSU draws because of its cost. And area native muhfukkas from the surrounding counties also try FSU for the same reason...

I know a white bytch who just graduated last week from FSU. She isn't military affiliated, chick from Rockingham/Richmond County. Moved to Fayetteville after high school, because Fayetteville is "the city" in The Sandhills, got turnt hanging round black folk, and finally graduated this year..

FSU. My brother is a graduate, I believe the class of 2011(?). And my (step)mother, is also a graduate, either last year or the year before. FSU is kinda the family school 😆 yall know nome of my people, not my biological nor stepfamily, are from Carolina. They migrated there 18 years ago, made a home there, and here we are, we've adopted NC as our home and FSU is our school...

FSU has grown alot. Some time back they were trying to shut down the nursing or some other program, can't remember why, and then kinda out the blue the nursing program emerged as the elite program of the institution. I don't know enough about the history or the leadership to speak on that. But FSU is beloved in the city of Fayetteville, it's the flagship institution of the city, and though not esteemed on a statewide or certainly not a national scale, it's highly respected throughout The Sandhills, in part as you covered, it's an old school. We're talking 155+ years of educating black people. There's a lot of history here...

Never went but I have great love for it myself. Just to give you a bead on its influence in Fayetteville, FSU is intrinsically connected to the premier black public high school in the city, EE Smith, which is about a half-mile north. Smith has long offered a variety of courses at/with FSU, and when I moved here at the age of 16 in '05, the 2005-06 school year, there were FSU classes back then, people were walking to and from FSU for some courses...

I used to skip school and hit the cafeteria there, used to be a Subway shop in the cafeteria, and go holla at girls...

FSU/Smith is located in the Black Mecca of Fayetteville, the historic center of black culture in the city and the region. Think of it like, if Harlem is the historic black heartbeat of NY, North Fayetteville is that to Fayetteville. Or think of what the historic black center is wherever you're from, that's what this is in Fayetteville...

In Sacramento, that's Oak Park. In Los Angeles, historically it was the East Side neighborhoods of South Central but South Central in general too. In Richmond it was The Ward/Carver...

In Fayetteville it's The Murk specifically, and the greater Murchison-Ramsey area of the Northside in general. This is the historic black heartbeat of Fayetteville. FSU is along Murchison but about a half-mile off Ramsey. So much local black history in the area. Black Fayetteville originated in Murchison/Ramsey. The slang, style, swag of Fayetteville, pretty much all has its roots in Northside neighborhoods surrounding The Murk and Ramsey. Everybody else around the city just copied and pasted and later put they own spin on Fayetteville culture, but it started here...

So it's no small thing, that FSU is located in this area, as FSU is and always has been, a huge cultural engine of the city and region at large...

It's a special area locally. The blackest part of Fayetteville both demographically and culturally...

Small school, not a lot of truly famous alumni, but there are a number of mid-level athletes who went here. And everyone's favorite rapper Blueface went here too, though he didn't graduate 😂 like I said it became kind of our adopted family school, in our adopted state of Carolina. I have a lot of love and emotion for FSU!

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC

This video shows Cole riding up Corinna, turning left on Topeka, which turns into Jasper which is a prominent block in the neighborhood, and ending at the car wash on the corner of Jasper and Murchison...

You can Google map to see how close this is to FSU, but just to drive the point home, this route is barely a mile from campus, if that. At the 2:15 mark of the video, if the truck turned left that's Seabrook, another prominent Murk block, you would hit that black high school I mentioned earlier (Smith), and if you take Seabrook maybe a mile down you run right smack into FSU...

Another fun fact, at the 0:27 second mark of the video where the truck turns left on Topeka, if that truck keeps straight for a block and makes the next left, you end up on the block my parents been living on since they came to Fayetteville in 2005...

Cole got the jersey on and being from the city he knows what FSU means to Black Fayetteville, he not from The Murk but he is from North Fayetteville not too far from Murchison. I remember when this video dropped, it was dope watching him pay homage to the school and the set...

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
I absolutely love Fayvetville state University because they gave my cousin Da a chance to turn his life around. I’m not going to get into his past but Fayvetville accepted him when he was going to go to the military and that degree and environment was transformed him. I really wish my cousin Jovan could have had this same chance. I’m giving this school a 9 because I’ve seen it change lives personally

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

Good stuff

Hoteps tend to be dudes who start learning about themselves in their 20s and 30s. Weren't taught about where they're from and who they are from their families. As a result, they don't have any context for the information they get as adults. Just end up repeating the thoughts and views of their thought leaders. Like parrots.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Great profile.
With recognized Nursing and Fire Prevention programs, I wonder how many out of state, region private companies and govts. recruit their students. Racial healthcare disparities seem to be getting addressed seriously in this era.

Wiseborn

Superstar
Daps
Fayetteville_State_University_seal.png
Fayetteville_State_University_logo.png

We last covered South Carolina State University which received an average score of 6.3.

See the updated leaderboard here

Today we head to another North Carolina public HBCU, Fayetteville State University. It is the smallest of the public NC HBCUs but one of the oldest dating to the end of the Civil War.

Freed slaves in North Carolina founded several small independent schools in the area that were merged in 1867 to form the Howard School. The 'Howard' here was the same namesake for Howard University, the Freedman Bureau chief General Oliver O. Howard. For many years it was one of the best Black schools in NC and received a state charter to train teachers in 1877 becoming the State Colored Normal School and later the Fayetteville State Teachers College.

Fayetteville State has grown and actually become a lead HBCU producer of nurses. It produces the second largest number of nursing graduates annually, only behind its fellow NC HBCU Winston Salem State Univeristy. It also has a unique fire science department training firefighters and fire inspection personnel that has amongst the highest starting salaries for HBCU grads.

Founded: 1867

City, State: Fayetteville, NC

Type: 4-Year Public

Nickname: Broncos

Enrollment and percent Black enrollment: 6,748 (5,557 undergraduate), 69% Black

Part-time student percentage: 34%

First Generation Student Percentage: 41%

Percentage of students from households under $30k/over $100k: 59% / 3%

Out of State Percentage: 7% (Top States: Washington D.C., South Carolina, Maryland, Virginia)

Student-to-Faculty Ratio: 15:1

Admissions Acceptance Rate: 82%

4-yr/6-yr graduation rates: 23% / 37%

Transfer out rate: 31%

Male/Female percentages (Female:Male Ratio): 30% male/ 70% female (2.3:1 ratio)

Tuition: In-state: $4k, Out-of-state: $8k

Median Federal Debt After Graduation: $23k

Median Parent PLUS Loans After Graduation: $7k

Median Earning 10-Years after 10 years from freshman year: $38k

Median Earnings for specific majors after 3 years after graduation:
Fire Protection: $78k, Registered Nursing: $75k, Computer Science: $48k, Finance: $46k, Accounting: $43k

Top Majors by Degrees:
Registered Nursing, Business Administration, Criminal Justice, Fire Science, Psychology

Endowment: ~$32M

Alumni Engagement: N/A

Athletic Conference: CIAA (NCAA Div II)

Mascot: Bronco

Bronco-Spirit%20Mark-PMS293.jpg

Notable Alumni:
Nicholas Perkins - food business entrepreneur; Fudruckers owner
Nicholas-Perkins_200.jpg

Ed “The Pitmaster” Mitchell – American Royal Barbecue Hall of Fame inductee
ed_mitchell.jpg

Dr. Sylvia Johnson - board member of the U.S. Chemical Safety and Hazard Investigation Board (CSB)
alumni_Sylvia_Johnson_300.jpg

Main Campus

fsu_aerial.jpg

Fayetteville%20State%20University%20campus

Science and Technology Center
040380004_1.jpg

Luther Nick Jeralds Stadium
BroncoCountry_6.jpg

Gym
FSU10-8bfecd845056a34_8bfece6d-5056-a348-3abc649ba6c0eb41.jpg

Marching Bronco Xpress
IMG_1652-e1541784707136.jpg

0d50493ea1ed5b6450c279ab0c743408--marching-bands-college.jpg

Cheerleaders
2939396.jpeg

259948972_96d96edfb4_b.jpg

eXpressions dancers
Fayetteville-State-eXpressions-2019.jpg

259982015_4e7b6edc52_b.jpg

Miss Fayetteville State
ghows-NC-17b96553-77d0-4079-86c9-02e2f856b1cd-f786fc8a.jpeg

Rachel%20Townsend%20300x438.jpg

@norfwestdc @young3000 @murksiderock @Yagirlcheatinonus @JordanwiththeWiz @Sankofa Alwayz @datnigDASTARDLY @Wiseborn
@invalid @Originalman @#1 pick @Ziggiy @SupaVillain @Tug life @Idaeo @get these nets @MostReal @Bryan Danielson @Rollie Forbes @Sonic Boom of the South @staticshock @Charlie Hustle @BigAggieLean. @Optimus Prime @How Sway? @DropTopDoc @Anerdyblackguy

He obviously didn't graduate but how could you forget notable alum Blueface?

Daps
Not just the soldiers, though. Because of Fayetteville's location deep in The Sandhills, the only schools of note in the area are the two universities in The Ville, Campbell, and UNCP...

So I wouldn't call The Sandhills an education-starved region, necessarily. But the four universities are all spread out from each other; MU and FSU, incidentally, are both in North Fayetteville just 5 miles apart though 🤣 but Campbell is a half hour drive north of Methodist, and UNCP is 40 miles south of FSU...

So there aren't a "ton" of higher education options in the region, and I believe FSU is the cheapest. All Sandhills universities offer benefits to soldiers and family of soldiers, that isn't unique to the Fayetteville schools, but FSU draws because of its cost. And area native muhfukkas from the surrounding counties also try FSU for the same reason...

I know a white bytch who just graduated last week from FSU. She isn't military affiliated, chick from Rockingham/Richmond County. Moved to Fayetteville after high school, because Fayetteville is "the city" in The Sandhills, got turnt hanging round black folk, and finally graduated this year..

FSU. My brother is a graduate, I believe the class of 2011(?). And my (step)mother, is also a graduate, either last year or the year before. FSU is kinda the family school 😆 yall know nome of my people, not my biological nor stepfamily, are from Carolina. They migrated there 18 years ago, made a home there, and here we are, we've adopted NC as our home and FSU is our school...

FSU has grown alot. Some time back they were trying to shut down the nursing or some other program, can't remember why, and then kinda out the blue the nursing program emerged as the elite program of the institution. I don't know enough about the history or the leadership to speak on that. But FSU is beloved in the city of Fayetteville, it's the flagship institution of the city, and though not esteemed on a statewide or certainly not a national scale, it's highly respected throughout The Sandhills, in part as you covered, it's an old school. We're talking 155+ years of educating black people. There's a lot of history here...

Never went but I have great love for it myself. Just to give you a bead on its influence in Fayetteville, FSU is intrinsically connected to the premier black public high school in the city, EE Smith, which is about a half-mile north. Smith has long offered a variety of courses at/with FSU, and when I moved here at the age of 16 in '05, the 2005-06 school year, there were FSU classes back then, people were walking to and from FSU for some courses...

I used to skip school and hit the cafeteria there, used to be a Subway shop in the cafeteria, and go holla at girls...

FSU/Smith is located in the Black Mecca of Fayetteville, the historic center of black culture in the city and the region. Think of it like, if Harlem is the historic black heartbeat of NY, North Fayetteville is that to Fayetteville. Or think of what the historic black center is wherever you're from, that's what this is in Fayetteville...

In Sacramento, that's Oak Park. In Los Angeles, historically it was the East Side neighborhoods of South Central but South Central in general too. In Richmond it was The Ward/Carver...

In Fayetteville it's The Murk specifically, and the greater Murchison-Ramsey area of the Northside in general. This is the historic black heartbeat of Fayetteville. FSU is along Murchison but about a half-mile off Ramsey. So much local black history in the area. Black Fayetteville originated in Murchison/Ramsey. The slang, style, swag of Fayetteville, pretty much all has its roots in Northside neighborhoods surrounding The Murk and Ramsey. Everybody else around the city just copied and pasted and later put they own spin on Fayetteville culture, but it started here...

So it's no small thing, that FSU is located in this area, as FSU is and always has been, a huge cultural engine of the city and region at large...

It's a special area locally. The blackest part of Fayetteville both demographically and culturally...

Small school, not a lot of truly famous alumni, but there are a number of mid-level athletes who went here. And everyone's favorite rapper Blueface went here too, though he didn't graduate 😂 like I said it became kind of our adopted family school, in our adopted state of Carolina. I have a lot of love and emotion for FSU!
I have never heard anyone speak of the Murk with such high regard, lol. Hell, outside of the black folks that grew up there in the 70s-90s, there’s not much positive said about most of that area. Black Mecca? Wow, lol. I went to E. E. Smith too though, which is almost like an HBCU in Fayetteville. And they’ll always love that school and its history no matter how many times they talk about closing it down.