Rate this HBCU Day 72: Fayetteville State University

How would you rate Fayetteville State University?

• 1 (If there are no other options...)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5 (it works)

Votes: 1 50.0%

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • 10 (Premier institution of Black Excellence)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
I have never heard anyone speak of the Murk with such high regard, lol. Hell, outside of the black folks that grew up there in the 70s-90s, there’s not much positive said about most of that area. Black Mecca? Wow, lol. I went to E. E. Smith too though, which is almost like an HBCU in Fayetteville. And they’ll always love that school and its history no matter how many times they talk about closing it down.

Hey for better or worse many of our hoods today were the glory of local Black culture in the 20th century so some nostalgia can be warranted.

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
I have never heard anyone speak of the Murk with such high regard, lol. Hell, outside of the black folks that grew up there in the 70s-90s, there’s not much positive said about most of that area. Black Mecca? Wow, lol. I went to E. E. Smith too though, which is almost like an HBCU in Fayetteville. And they’ll always love that school and its history no matter how many times they talk about closing it down.
Long post incoming! 🤣

People who grew up along Murchison speak highly of it. You meet enough older people around the way who tell you it wasn't really until the 90s that Murchison started going downhill. Before then, aside from the projects areas of course, The Murk was mostly the standard for the black middle class in Fayetteville...

I'm 34 in two days, the people who can recount this are all generally my parents ages (who are mid and late 50s) or older, so basically people 50+ or born before '73 and native to Murchison/Ramsey, or lived in the area when it was as they described. I've met enough older people who've said this that I believe it, and I'm sure I've read an Observer article in the past like it, I'm gonna try to find it and link it here!

Now from my own experiences in the city, my introduction to Fayetteville was The Murk at 16 years old. My parents still live in the same house, up the street from that Cole video, that they moved into Fayetteville in, in '05. I've left Fayetteville several times over the last 18 years, and for years my parents have talked about leaving (my mom just mentioned it again earlier this week, she grew up between Western NY near Syracuse, and Memphis; said she wants to go back to Memphis). They've been talking about leaving Fayetteville almost the entire time they've been here 🤣...

I never would have come back to Fayetteville or NC in general had my parents not stayed. We didn't have any ties here, no one is from here, I didn't grow up there or have string enough relationships with anyone that mattered. But my brother did one year of high school at Smith, went to FSU and fell in love with the city, he's 35 and has been in Fayetteville since he was 17, it's his city. And I think the reason my parents have stayed is mostly because of my dad (he's from Little Rock), he took an almost instant liking to the area. My mom, it had to grow on her. He's said numerous times he's open to leaving Fayetteville, but I think he's the reason they've never pulled the trigger...

For me, my parents became the only reason I'd come back. As an adult I've lived in VA twice, GA, NY, Charlotte, and Raleigh (now for the second time), and would come back to visit them, and it would suck me back in, I also moved back to Fayetteville a couple times. Always was ready to leave every time I got back, but it started growing on me too before I realized it---->my two oldest kids' mother grew up between Fayetteville and Raleigh, but I met her in Fayetteville...

My youngest daughter's mother, she grew up in and I met her in Fayetteville. And somewhere in my late 20s, the city started growing on me, I think in part, at some point I subconsciously noted that I'd watched this city grow for over a dozen years, I'd watched it change, every time I left and came back, there wad new changes for the better...

And for a brother like myself, I had an itinerant, transient, upbringing. I'm not "close, close" with my parents, but I'm closer to them now than I felt as a youth, abd I'm closer to them than my biological parents. I never had a home; though I recognize everywhere that I grew up along the way, I didn't have one home or sense of belonging to one specific place, I was a part of everywhere I'd been...

I didn't feel this with Fayetteville either, until 4 or 5 years ago, if that long. I didn't like NC that much nor Fayetteville, hated Raleigh the first time I moved there. It's grown on me too but not particularly enthralled by it now...but Fayetteville grew on me ..

I lived over off Cliffdale for a stretch, and down off Cumberland too. Met a variety of people and relationships, and to toe back into my central point, it's different on other sides of town. Each part of Fayetteville is different, each part of Black Fayetteville has its own twist, but Murchison and Ramsey, you can just tell it's different. It's the oldest part of Black Fayetteville, the university is there, and even longtime Fayettevillians who didn't grow up there, many can tell you that Murchison/Ramsey feels different...

It's the imprint of history in that area. Like you said Smith is damn near an HBCU, it's literally an extension of FSU. It's the only historically black high school, I mean Westover and 71st and Byrd became majority black high schools from the late 90s (Westover), 00s (First), and 10s (Byrd), as demographics shifted and more black people settled the hoods around those areas. But those aren't black areas generationally in Fayetteville. They became black areas. Murchison and Ramsey have ALWAYS been majority black neighborhoods and you can tell just learning the history of Fayetteville, and spending time in other parts of town...

I'm seriously, seriously considering a move back. My youngest daughter lives there, I'm only an hour out so I still see her often. But the move back is more about both cheaper cost of living and Fayetteville's continued growth, and how Fayetteville has resonated with me as sort of a hometown. And besides the immediate Westover area (Yadkin and Morganton), which has become an authentically black area but also has some diversity, the only areas I'll even consider moving to are The Murk or Ramsey----->because it's the black heartbeat of Fayetteville...

What years did you go to Smith and where do you live now? Would you ever live back in Fayetteville?

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
Hey for better or worse many of our hoods today were the glory of local Black culture in the 20th century so some nostalgia can be warranted.
My parents live on a block almost exclusively of old people, older than them. Black homeowners who either grew up in Fayetteville, or are like my parents, came here with the military and stayed. My parents I think are actually the youngest homeowners on their block, there's a house right on the corner of a younger family, the parents appear to be late 30s to early 40s, bunch of kids but the oldest girl goes to Smith; I knew a girl years ago while I went to Smith who lived there, so I'm not sure if they own it...

And a house across the street that I know is a renting family...

But everyone else on that block are OLD, my parents are 55 and 58. They've established relationships with these people over the years, and ive either met some of them at different points, or my parents have just recounted conversations they've had...

These older families all have talked about the area as they've known it. My parents neighbors are all 10+ years older than my parents, some were educators at Smith and FSU, some worked in public services. Everybody can tell you how the area transformed from the standard of the black middle class, to mostly a low income, impoverished, violent area over the years, abd that's the thing, there's still pockets of the black middle class there, like my parents block. You can see vestiges of the history of that, along both Ramsey and Murchison hoods...

Fayetteville obviously isn't a large city nor nationally a tourist draw, there's no "famous" things to really talk of. But locally, this is a highly regarded and historic area, particularly among Black locals. Black youth, somewhat understand this, but typically only I'm the sense of Smith and FSU rather than the communities that house those institutions; Black youth generally see the area as "the real hoods" of Fayetteville. Older black people speak well of the area. Lot of local firsts originate from that area...

Where are you from by the way bro, and where were you educated? Your series on HBCUs is dope and informational, I've read most of them all but I d9nt know anything about you 😆

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
My cousin graduated from there. From my time on campus I must say that lineup of cheerleaders and dancers is an accurate representation of the lack of talent on that campus. :scust:
Nah you tripping, it's some real talent there. But when muhfukkas talk about the NC school with the most talent it's always gonna be A&T first 🤣 but nah there's some real baddies that come thru FSU..

Daps
Long post incoming! 🤣

People who grew up along Murchison speak highly of it. You meet enough older people around the way who tell you it wasn't really until the 90s that Murchison started going downhill. Before then, aside from the projects areas of course, The Murk was mostly the standard for the black middle class in Fayetteville...

I'm 34 in two days, the people who can recount this are all generally my parents ages (who are mid and late 50s) or older, so basically people 50+ or born before '73 and native to Murchison/Ramsey, or lived in the area when it was as they described. I've met enough older people who've said this that I believe it, and I'm sure I've read an Observer article in the past like it, I'm gonna try to find it and link it here!

Now from my own experiences in the city, my introduction to Fayetteville was The Murk at 16 years old. My parents still live in the same house, up the street from that Cole video, that they moved into Fayetteville in, in '05. I've left Fayetteville several times over the last 18 years, and for years my parents have talked about leaving (my mom just mentioned it again earlier this week, she grew up between Western NY near Syracuse, and Memphis; said she wants to go back to Memphis). They've been talking about leaving Fayetteville almost the entire time they've been here 🤣...

I never would have come back to Fayetteville or NC in general had my parents not stayed. We didn't have any ties here, no one is from here, I didn't grow up there or have string enough relationships with anyone that mattered. But my brother did one year of high school at Smith, went to FSU and fell in love with the city, he's 35 and has been in Fayetteville since he was 17, it's his city. And I think the reason my parents have stayed is mostly because of my dad (he's from Little Rock), he took an almost instant liking to the area. My mom, it had to grow on her. He's said numerous times he's open to leaving Fayetteville, but I think he's the reason they've never pulled the trigger...

For me, my parents became the only reason I'd come back. As an adult I've lived in VA twice, GA, NY, Charlotte, and Raleigh (now for the second time), and would come back to visit them, and it would suck me back in, I also moved back to Fayetteville a couple times. Always was ready to leave every time I got back, but it started growing on me too before I realized it---->my two oldest kids' mother grew up between Fayetteville and Raleigh, but I met her in Fayetteville...

My youngest daughter's mother, she grew up in and I met her in Fayetteville. And somewhere in my late 20s, the city started growing on me, I think in part, at some point I subconsciously noted that I'd watched this city grow for over a dozen years, I'd watched it change, every time I left and came back, there wad new changes for the better...

And for a brother like myself, I had an itinerant, transient, upbringing. I'm not "close, close" with my parents, but I'm closer to them now than I felt as a youth, abd I'm closer to them than my biological parents. I never had a home; though I recognize everywhere that I grew up along the way, I didn't have one home or sense of belonging to one specific place, I was a part of everywhere I'd been...

I didn't feel this with Fayetteville either, until 4 or 5 years ago, if that long. I didn't like NC that much nor Fayetteville, hated Raleigh the first time I moved there. It's grown on me too but not particularly enthralled by it now...but Fayetteville grew on me ..

I lived over off Cliffdale for a stretch, and down off Cumberland too. Met a variety of people and relationships, and to toe back into my central point, it's different on other sides of town. Each part of Fayetteville is different, each part of Black Fayetteville has its own twist, but Murchison and Ramsey, you can just tell it's different. It's the oldest part of Black Fayetteville, the university is there, and even longtime Fayettevillians who didn't grow up there, many can tell you that Murchison/Ramsey feels different...

It's the imprint of history in that area. Like you said Smith is damn near an HBCU, it's literally an extension of FSU. It's the only historically black high school, I mean Westover and 71st and Byrd became majority black high schools from the late 90s (Westover), 00s (First), and 10s (Byrd), as demographics shifted and more black people settled the hoods around those areas. But those aren't black areas generationally in Fayetteville. They became black areas. Murchison and Ramsey have ALWAYS been majority black neighborhoods and you can tell just learning the history of Fayetteville, and spending time in other parts of town...

I'm seriously, seriously considering a move back. My youngest daughter lives there, I'm only an hour out so I still see her often. But the move back is more about both cheaper cost of living and Fayetteville's continued growth, and how Fayetteville has resonated with me as sort of a hometown. And besides the immediate Westover area (Yadkin and Morganton), which has become an authentically black area but also has some diversity, the only areas I'll even consider moving to are The Murk or Ramsey----->because it's the black heartbeat of Fayetteville...

What years did you go to Smith and where do you live now? Would you ever live back in Fayetteville?
That’s real.

I lived in Fayetteville practically my whole life, but I live in the Atlanta area now. There was a stint where I moved to Pittsburgh for a year (culture shock) when I was in 4th grade and I initially went to Morehouse (partied too much) but that’s about it. When I came back I finished my degree at FSU. I lived on the same side of Fayetteville the entire time too. I lived in the College Lakes area when I was younger, then the Country Club/Hillendale area when I was older. Cliffdale Road always seemed like another city and was never worth the trip until it was time to go to the club over there that’s had like 20 names by now, lol. I think it was called Carolina Live and Chocolate City when I was actively going.

But I graduated from Smith in 05 and was there all 4 years, so I might have known your brother. The band director there was always talking about the history of Broadell. In fact, during band camp, he specifically made us run our two miles in the morning down Broadell. Me and my homeboys were just talking bout how yoi ain’t really from Fayetteville if you ain’t done certain things. If you never played balled or at least been to Seabrook park, you ain’t really from there, lol. Big ups to Dennis Smith Jr. for the renovation though… but I remember my brother’s friend bringing a gun when we played at night. We were kinda wildin playin ball at Seabrook at Midnight, lol.

Its crazy though, I hadn’t been back to Fayetteville in years, but I went back for my Grandmother’s funeral a couple years back and I could barely recognize some parts. Especially where they expanded 295. Bragg Blvd looks completely different in some places.

Daps
My cousin graduated from there. From my time on campus I must say that lineup of cheerleaders and dancers is an accurate representation of the lack of talent on that campus. :scust:
Nah… the school had some joints. They just weren’t on the cheerleading team or dance team, lol. You really had to scope the sororities for the best ones. The volleyball team stayed with a couple baddies too. Also FSU has a lot of non-traditional students so it’s not as “active” as some other schools and you gotta work harder to find them.

AggiePride336.

getting blitzed.
Daps
Reppin
ATL via Tre 4
That’s real.

I lived in Fayetteville practically my whole life, but I live in the Atlanta area now. There was a stint where I moved to Pittsburgh for a year (culture shock) when I was in 4th grade and I initially went to Morehouse (partied too much) but that’s about it. When I came back I finished my degree at FSU. I lived on the same side of Fayetteville the entire time too. I lived in the College Lakes area when I was younger, then the Country Club/Hillendale area when I was older. Cliffdale Road always seemed like another city and was never worth the trip until it was time to go to the club over there that’s had like 20 names by now, lol. I think it was called Carolina Live and Chocolate City when I was actively going.

But I graduated from Smith in 05 and was there all 4 years, so I might have known your brother. The band director there was always talking about the history of Broadell. In fact, during band camp, he specifically made us run our two miles in the morning down Broadell. Me and my homeboys were just talking bout how yoi ain’t really from Fayetteville if you ain’t done certain things. If you never played balled or at least been to Seabrook park, you ain’t really from there, lol. Big ups to Dennis Smith Jr. for the renovation though… but I remember my brother’s friend bringing a gun when we played at night. We were kinda wildin playin ball at Seabrook at Midnight, lol.

Its crazy though, I hadn’t been back to Fayetteville in years, but I went back for my Grandmother’s funeral a couple years back and I could barely recognize some parts. Especially where they expanded 295. Bragg Blvd looks completely different in some places.
Bragg Blvd and that Fort Bragg area took me by surprise last time I was over there. I usually take 87 from Fayetteville to Greensboro, cutting through Sanford. They built that area up.

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
Bragg Blvd and that Fort Bragg area took me by surprise last time I was over there. I usually take 87 from Fayetteville to Greensboro, cutting through Sanford. They built that area up.
Fayetteville in general has continued to grow like the rest of NC. It's certainly not a "big" city but Fayetteville also isn't some two stoplight, nothing to do town. It's a fairly decent sized city and it's improved in its amenities and appearance for sure...

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
That’s real.

Fayetteville has grown so much over the last 20 years, I've been seeing it over 18 years, that if you're of a certain age you can grow up in Fayetteville and different things resonate with you...

Like Seabrook Park is another staple of black history in the city. It's THE premier park in any black neighborhood in Fayetteville. The difference is if you've grown up in Fayetteville on the last 10-12 years, you've also seen Westover Park develop into a premier park in a black neighborhood. The courts, pools, dog park, soccer fields, all that shyt didn't used to be over at Westover...

So whereas The Brook was the only place like that when you and people your age were growing up, there's multiple options now. And that's the story of Fayetteville's growth, there's now multiple options for citizens for so many different things...

Downtown Fayetteville wasn't even a destination until the 2010s. Now it is one...

Also I think the more of this country I've seen and traveled its helped me appreciate Fayetteville more. Many Ville residents will downtalk the city bit there's so many places that are just unequivocally worse. Like, Asheville and Fayetteville are similar-sized, I'd take Fayetteville over Asheville with zero hesitation. Cities similar in size to Fayetteville I've been to like Vallejo and York PA, I'd take Fayetteville easily. Myrtle and Fayetteville bout the same size, Fayetteville shyts on Myrtle...

Fayetteville and Jackson MS same size, Fayetteville shyts on Jackson. I'd take Fayetteville over Augusta; I really like Harrisburg PA, toss up between it and The Ville...

Winston and Durham are both slightly larger cities than Fayetteville and I'd take Fayetteville over both no hesitation. Syracuse is a toss up for me but I prefer Fayetteville to Little Rock which is a little bit bigger. I could keep going, I guess my point being, Fayetteville is a lot more balanced of a city than some people credit it for...

AggiePride336.

getting blitzed.
Daps
Reppin
ATL via Tre 4
Fayetteville has grown so much over the last 20 years, I've been seeing it over 18 years, that if you're of a certain age you can grow up in Fayetteville and different things resonate with you...

Like Seabrook Park is another staple of black history in the city. It's THE premier park in any black neighborhood in Fayetteville. The difference is if you've grown up in Fayetteville on the last 10-12 years, you've also seen Westover Park develop into a premier park in a black neighborhood. The courts, pools, dog park, soccer fields, all that shyt didn't used to be over at Westover...

So whereas The Brook was the only place like that when you and people your age were growing up, there's multiple options now. And that's the story of Fayetteville's growth, there's now multiple options for citizens for so many different things...

Downtown Fayetteville wasn't even a destination until the 2010s. Now it is one...

Also I think the more of this country I've seen and traveled its helped me appreciate Fayetteville more. Many Ville residents will downtalk the city bit there's so many places that are just unequivocally worse. Like, Asheville and Fayetteville are similar-sized, I'd take Fayetteville over Asheville with zero hesitation. Cities similar in size to Fayetteville I've been to like Vallejo and York PA, I'd take Fayetteville easily. Myrtle and Fayetteville bout the same size, Fayetteville shyts on Myrtle...

Fayetteville and Jackson MS same size, Fayetteville shyts on Jackson. I'd take Fayetteville over Augusta; I really like Harrisburg PA, toss up between it and The Ville...

Winston and Durham are both slightly larger cities than Fayetteville and I'd take Fayetteville over both no hesitation. Syracuse is a toss up for me but I prefer Fayetteville to Little Rock which is a little bit bigger. I could keep going, I guess my point being, Fayetteville is a lot more balanced of a city than some people credit it for...
:gucci: No Winston or Triad slander. I’m even gone defend High Point and Kernersville(where I’m from for real lol), but I get ya. I’ve also spend significant time in Mississippi, and Fayetteville is better than any city in that state, including the Coast where I spend most my time. Def better than Jackson. But yea, we always down where we’re from, but like you, as you get older and spend time away, you grow to have an appreciation for those areas.

Fayetteville is a cool city, and FSU is a decent university. With the city being the major city near Lumberton, I have a love for it. We used to go there when looking for anything to do, because ain’t shyt in Lumberton or Robeson county. I hope they continue to grow and build the city up

murksiderock

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
SMF and LAX to VA and NC
:gucci: No Winston or Triad slander. I’m even gone defend High Point and Kernersville(where I’m from for real lol), but I get ya. I’ve also spend significant time in Mississippi, and Fayetteville is better than any city in that state, including the Coast where I spend most my time. Def better than Jackson. But yea, we always down where we’re from, but like you, as you get older and spend time away, you grow to have an appreciation for those areas.

Fayetteville is a cool city, and FSU is a decent university. With the city being the major city near Lumberton, I have a love for it. We used to go there when looking for anything to do, because ain’t shyt in Lumberton or Robeson county. I hope they continue to grow and build the city up
Winston is not it, bro. What a wack ass city 🤣 Fayetteville just has way more personality and flair. Winston has way too many wiggers for my liking...

We on the same page otherwise though 🤣...