Rate this HBCU Day 74: Central State University (OH)

How would you rate Central State University?

• 1 (If there are no other options...)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5 (it works)

Votes: 2 40.0%

Votes: 1 20.0%

• 10 (Premier institution of Black Excellence)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
240px-Central_State_University_seal.svg.png
129px-Central_State_University_logo.svg.png

We last covered Florida Memorial University which received an average score of 5.

See the updated leaderboard here

We previously covered Wilberforce University of Ohio which was once one of the largest HBCUs in the country by enrollment in the late 19th/early 20th century. What is also not well-known is that Wilberforce University is one of the few HBCUs to ever successfully carry out a split into two separate institutions.

Central State University (Ohio) was formally created in 1947 when the Normal & Industrial education (teachers and trades) school was formally split off from Wilberforce to form the College of Education and Industrial Arts at Wilberforce, Ohio. It became Central State University in 1965. The normal and industrial department had been created in 1887 by an act of the Ohio legislature and was publicly funded and had a separate board. It grew during the liberal arts vs. vocational education of DuBois and Washington. The split left Wilberforce as a private liberal arts school and the future Central State as a publicly supported institution which it remains.

One of its most well known groups is its Chorus which has performed at the White House and was nominated for a Grammy in 1993.

In a story sadly repeated in many states, in 1981 United States Department of Education’s (US DOE) Office for Civil Rights found the state of Ohio had starved Central State University (the only public HBCU in Ohio) of funds compared to its PWI peers. However, it is not clear if this has led to parity in funding over time. What has occurred is increasing integration as Black students are now only a slim majority of the student population. Similar in demographic and financial profile to Lincoln University of Missouri, it seems to need leadership to elevate the school and its programs.

Founded: 1887

City, State: Wilberforce, OH

Type: 4-year, Public

Nickname: Marauders and Lady Marauders

Enrollment and percent Black enrollment: 6,044 (6,035 undergraduate), 53% Black

Part-time student percentage: 47%

First Generation Student Percentage: 40%

Percentage of students from households under $30k/over $100k: 59% / 4%

Out of State Percentage: 47%, (Top States: Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin)

Student-to-Faculty Ratio: 25:1

Admissions Acceptance Rate: 59%

4-yr/6-yr graduation rates: 8% / 23%

Transfer out rate: 13%

Male/Female percentages (Female:Male Ratio): 29% male/ 71% female (2.4:1 ratio)

Tuition: In-state: $8k, Out-of-state: $10k

Median Federal Debt After Graduation: $31k

Median Parent PLUS Loans After Graduation: $15k

Median Earning 10-Years after 10 years from freshman year: $33k

Median Earnings for specific majors after 3 years after graduation:
Criminal Justice: $38k, Psychology: $35k, Education :$35k, Business: $34k

Top Majors by Degrees:
Buiness/Commerce, Criminal Justice, Education, Psychology

Endowment: $2.1M

Alumni Engagement: N/A

Athletic Conference: SIAC (NCAA Div II)

Mascot: Marauders

fit

Notable Alumni:
Omarosa Manigault-Newman - Apprentice contestant, Trump administration official
169px-Omarosa_Manigault_by_Gage_Skidmore.jpg

Joyce Beatty - Ohio congresswoman
175px-Joyce_Beatty_congressional_portrait_114th_Congress.jpg

Wayne Cauthen - former city manager of Kansas City

Main Campus:

Central%20State%20campus%20aerial-10_resized_0.jpg

USC-Walkers.jpg

Central-State-University-Exterior-Street.jpg

Stadium
6UBZM7VPN5A23GKYWDFGHMG35M.jpg

Gym
maxresdefault.jpg

Invincible Marching Marauders
i-2jLGbVn-X3.jpg

participant_1035.jpg

Central State University Chorus
IMG_9093.jpg

Cheerleaders
crop

SIAC_Cheer_Champs_2018.jpg

Dancing Belles
64e6b2aedffc6f45b427bdfeeebb49a9.jpg

dancers.JPG

Miss Central State University

Doniska-2-large.jpg

@NYC Rebel @bigrodthe1 @EndDomination
@invalid @Originalman @#1 pick @Ziggiy @SupaVillain @Tug life @Idaeo @get these nets @MostReal @Bryan Danielson @Rollie Forbes @Sonic Boom of the South @staticshock @Charlie Hustle @BigAggieLean. @Optimus Prime @How Sway? @DropTopDoc @Anerdyblackguy

InGodWeTrust

Tall & Handsome in ATL
Daps
Toured the campus and Wilberforce when scouting for colleges back in the day.

Wasn’t feeling it. Plus it was in the middle of nowhere

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
Great post. This school has one of the most unique backstories and profiles in the series.
Split from an older university, slightly less than half out-of-state students, slightly more than half Black , slightly less than half part time students.

Also interesting that the backstory of the split went back to the creation of the different depts and mirrored the Washington vs Dubois debate.

I mentioned in the Wilberforce profile that the first time I'd heard of that school was reading the AutoBio of Malcolm X. His brother Wilfred attended, and he would have been enrolled in the courses/concentration that was under the future Central State.

DropTopDoc

20/20 Vision With my Buffs On
Daps
Reppin
South Side Chicago to Nola
Doesn’t get talked about enough, you can still get the hbcu experience in the Midwest i wish i had known about it, may have took a look at them

Know a chick that went to chiropractic school with me, she’s an alum, funny never asked her experience, but she never spoke down on it

Bigblackted4

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Eastcleveland
Doesn’t get talked about enough, you can still get the hbcu experience in the Midwest i wish i had known about it, may have took a look at them

Know a chick that went to chiropractic school with me, she’s an alum, funny never asked her experience, but she never spoke down on it
Yeah I kinda wish I went here instead of Bowling Green even though I had a great experience

DropTopDoc

20/20 Vision With my Buffs On
Daps
Reppin
South Side Chicago to Nola
Yeah.............until you get a taste of a Midwest Winter .

*just jokes
Well i think that was for my fellow midwestern folks, i know plenty of folks did the down south hbcu thing for college and brought they ass right back to the chi so if central was smart they’d recruit Ohio/Illinois/Michigan/Minnesota, and I’d recruit Kentucky maybe Tennessee as you want to experience something different come to the midwest

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
240px-Central_State_University_seal.svg.png
129px-Central_State_University_logo.svg.png

We last covered Florida Memorial University which received an average score of 5.

See the updated leaderboard here

We previously covered Wilberforce University of Ohio which was once one of the largest HBCUs in the country by enrollment in the late 19th/early 20th century. What is also not well-known is that Wilberforce University is one of the few HBCUs to ever successfully carry out a split into two separate institutions.

Central State University (Ohio) was formally created in 1947 when the Normal & Industrial education (teachers and trades) school was formally split off from Wilberforce to form the College of Education and Industrial Arts at Wilberforce, Ohio. It became Central State University in 1965. The normal and industrial department had been created in 1887 by an act of the Ohio legislature and was publicly funded and had a separate board. It grew during the liberal arts vs. vocational education of DuBois and Washington. The split left Wilberforce as a private liberal arts school and the future Central State as a publicly supported institution which it remains.

One of its most well known groups is its Chorus which has performed at the White House and was nominated for a Grammy in 1993.

In a story sadly repeated in many states, in 1981 United States Department of Education’s (US DOE) Office for Civil Rights found the state of Ohio had starved Central State University (the only public HBCU in Ohio) of funds compared to its PWI peers. However, it is not clear if this has led to parity in funding over time. What has occurred is increasing integration as Black students are now only a slim majority of the student population. Similar in demographic and financial profile to Lincoln University of Missouri, it seems to need leadership to elevate the school and its programs.

Founded: 1887

City, State: Wilberforce, OH

Type: 4-year, Public

Nickname: Marauders and Lady Marauders

Enrollment and percent Black enrollment: 6,044 (6,035 undergraduate), 53% Black

Part-time student percentage: 47%

First Generation Student Percentage: 40%

Percentage of students from households under $30k/over $100k: 59% / 4%

Out of State Percentage: 47%, (Top States: Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin)

Student-to-Faculty Ratio: 25:1

Admissions Acceptance Rate: 59%

4-yr/6-yr graduation rates: 8% / 23%

Transfer out rate: 13%

Male/Female percentages (Female:Male Ratio): 29% male/ 71% female (2.4:1 ratio)

Tuition: In-state: $8k, Out-of-state: $10k

Median Federal Debt After Graduation: $31k

Median Parent PLUS Loans After Graduation: $15k

Median Earning 10-Years after 10 years from freshman year: $33k

Median Earnings for specific majors after 3 years after graduation:
Criminal Justice: $38k, Psychology: $35k, Education :$35k, Business: $34k

Top Majors by Degrees:
Buiness/Commerce, Criminal Justice, Education, Psychology

Endowment: $2.1M

Alumni Engagement: N/A

Athletic Conference: SIAC (NCAA Div II)

Mascot: Marauders

fit

Notable Alumni:
Omarosa Manigault-Newman - Apprentice contestant, Trump administration official
169px-Omarosa_Manigault_by_Gage_Skidmore.jpg

Joyce Beatty - Ohio congresswoman
175px-Joyce_Beatty_congressional_portrait_114th_Congress.jpg

Wayne Cauthen - former city manager of Kansas City

Main Campus:

Central%20State%20campus%20aerial-10_resized_0.jpg

USC-Walkers.jpg

Central-State-University-Exterior-Street.jpg

Stadium
6UBZM7VPN5A23GKYWDFGHMG35M.jpg

Gym
maxresdefault.jpg

Invincible Marching Marauders
i-2jLGbVn-X3.jpg

participant_1035.jpg

Central State University Chorus
IMG_9093.jpg

Cheerleaders
crop

SIAC_Cheer_Champs_2018.jpg

Dancing Belles
64e6b2aedffc6f45b427bdfeeebb49a9.jpg

dancers.JPG

Miss Central State University

Doniska-2-large.jpg

@NYC Rebel @bigrodthe1 @EndDomination
@invalid @Originalman @#1 pick @Ziggiy @SupaVillain @Tug life @Idaeo @get these nets @MostReal @Bryan Danielson @Rollie Forbes @Sonic Boom of the South @staticshock @Charlie Hustle @BigAggieLean. @Optimus Prime @How Sway? @DropTopDoc @Anerdyblackguy

This school took in my dad from Nigeria. I owe them everything

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
Also interesting that the backstory of the split went back to the creation of the different depts and mirrored the Washington vs Dubois debate.

Yeah the whole fact the state stepped in and established the vocational school with a separate board is probably a story in itself though I unfortunately could not find many details online.

NatiboyB

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
What did most alumni end up doing?

I have a few that are lawyers one is even a judge. A couple are Engineers and IT types and a few are teachers and entrepreneurs (whole family full). They spread out all over the country but most seem to be in Atlanta Houston and Charlotte. But that’s just the folks I recall or talk to from Cincinnati.

The facilities are below the quality of the militaries but that’s understandable.

MostReal

Bandage Hand Steph
Daps
interesting profile
You don't hear much from Central State, didn't know they were that large size wise and the demographics are surprising (wondering how that occurred). :francis:

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I didn’t realize Central was only 53% Black, I’ve never met a white person from that school.

It’s one of the universities that has really taken a hit from Ohio’s drop in public university funding about a decade ago - they also need some capital injection from alumni base to update the campus.

I like it as a school, but they’re not great at recruiting - I don’t even think I got a letter from them as a Black cleveland metropolitan school district student with a high GPA/ACT/SAT - but the PWIs flooded me with info