Rate this HBCU Day 74: Central State University (OH)

How would you rate Central State University?

• 1 (If there are no other options...)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5 (it works)

Votes: 2 40.0%

Votes: 1 20.0%

• 10 (Premier institution of Black Excellence)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
I didn’t realize Central was only 53% Black, I’ve never met a white person from that school.

It’s one of the universities that has really taken a hit from Ohio’s drop in public university funding about a decade ago - they also need some capital injection from alumni base to update the campus.

I like it as a school, but they’re not great at recruiting - I don’t even think I got a letter from them as a Black cleveland metropolitan school district student with a high GPA/ACT/SAT - but the PWIs flooded me with info
Trying to recruit you wouldn't have been the best use of their (limited) recruiting budget.
You likely got packages from the top schools in OH, top schools in the region, and from the selective schools that have national applicants.
And they had the resources to 'show you the money' in terms of scholarships and aid packages.

Their best bet for recruitment of top in-state students would be to have Summer enrichment programs for high school students.

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Trying to recruit you wouldn't have been the best use of their (limited) recruiting budget.
You likely got packages from the top schools in OH, top schools in the region, and from the selective schools that have national applicants.
And they had the resources to 'show you the money' in terms of scholarships and aid packages.

Their best bet for recruitment of top in-state students would be to have Summer enrichment programs for high school students.
I mean moreso that I didn’t even get an invite to visit campus or to apply to the school via email.

I was waiting on NYU to send me my aid package update when I probably would have strongly considered Central.

todd1

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
Portage, Indiana
1994 Grad.......I owe everything to Central. It made me who I am. The low African American population is a recent change...as it was all Black when I went there. They hooked me up when FAMU pulled the rug out from under me 2 weeks before school started. I can't imagine going anywhere else. Yes, its in the middle of nowhere, but it was a real family vibe back then. If you want a real backstory...try to research the Ohio state law barring two state supported institutions from residing in the same county. Then figure out how Ohio built PWI Wright State University in the same county as Central in the 80s...talk about starved for resources. More alumni:
Hugh Douglas (NFL Lottery Pick NYJ)
Erik Williams (Super Bowl Champion Dallas)
Nancy Wilson
Roger Troutman
Barry Hankerson (Blackground Records)
Leontine Price

Cakebatter

All Star
Daps
During the 90s in Detroit, we looked at Central State as an HCBU, but it was notorious for being a party school. I don't know any graduates, but know a guy who went there for 2 years. He says he loved it there, but he may not be referring to the education, but the social life.

NYC Rebel

...on the otherside of the pond
Daps
1994 Grad.......I owe everything to Central. It made me who I am. The low African American population is a recent change...as it was all Black when I went there. They hooked me up when FAMU pulled the rug out from under me 2 weeks before school started. I can't imagine going anywhere else. Yes, its in the middle of nowhere, but it was a real family vibe back then. If you want a real backstory...try to research the Ohio state law barring two state supported institutions from residing in the same county. Then figure out how Ohio built PWI Wright State University in the same county as Central in the 80s...talk about starved for resources. More alumni:
Nancy Wilson
Roger Troutman
Leontine Price
You likely knew my boy Sheron from Brooklyn who played left tackle there for a short spell. Erik Williams loved him. He should have gone to the league but I think dropped out.

Was the best football player Ive ever played with in my life, OU, semi-pro, the best.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

Ann Arbor college highlights transfer program with Historically Black universities​

hbcu-pathway.png

The HBCU Pathway is designed to assist students in preparing to transition seamlessly from high school to an Historically Black College & University (HBCU) upon completion of their associate degree at Washtenaw Community College

Our primary goal is to keep college tuition affordable for students and families while providing an opportunity that ensures a sense of belonging. Pairing WCC's low-cost tuition rates with an affordable HBCU tuition will help minimize the overall cost for students completing college.

More than 19,000 students enroll at WCC annually to receive one of the best overall values in higher education. Whether you're interested in online or in-person courses, we have the educational resources and renowned faculty to provide everyone a high-quality, impactful education.

Interested in discovering more, complete the form that best fits your interest:

"WCC prepared me for Morehouse College by offering rigorous courses and practical student leadership opportunities. A person who has been educated at WCC and an HBCU is destined to make a positive impact on the world."
- DeVaughn Swanson

Program Benefits:

• Guaranteed admission into most partner schools
  • Access to in-state tuition & scholarships at several partner schools
  • HBCU campus tour(s) & peer activities
  • Completion and acceptance of general education requirements upon transfer

Eligibility Requirements:

1. Must be enrolled or admitted at WCC
  2. Submit complete HBCU Pathway interest form
  3. Participate in program events and activities

Partner Schools:

StarClout

Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Broncos/LWO/NYY/NYR/ALA
Nancy Wilson
Roger Troutman
Leontine Price
2015 grad here. I feel the same way about Central. Pledged there and everything :wow:

todd1

Rookie
Daps
Reppin
Portage, Indiana
Nancy Wilson
Roger Troutman
You likely knew my boy Sheron from Brooklyn who played left tackle there for a short spell. Erik Williams loved him. He should have gone to the league but I think dropped out.

Was the best football player Ive ever played with in my life, OU, semi-pro, the best.
Yep....I knew a lot of those guys because I was a Student Ambassador and we showed up to school early every year...during football and band camp

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

Akron Law and Central State University establish 3+3 J.D. program​

09/21/2023

Akron Law

Barbara DiGiacomo, Akron Law associate dean for administration and enrollment management, and Sidney Williams, Central State director of graduate school preparation programs, display the agreement following the signing.

The University of Akron School of Law (Akron Law) and Central State University today announced a degree partnership to create a seamless, sequential system for students to obtain both a bachelor‘s degree from Central State and a Juris Doctor (J.D.) from Akron Law in just six years instead of the usual seven.
The partnership, commonly referred to as a three plus three (3+3) degree program, offers an exceptional educational opportunity for qualifying students. Central State becomes the sixth college to have a 3+3 program with Akron Law and the first historically black college or university (HBCU) in Ohio to have a 3+3 partnership with any law school.
Pursuant to the agreement, eligible Central State students can apply the first year of law school courses at Akron Law to satisfy the graduation and degree requirements at Central State, and concurrently apply the first year of Akron Law courses toward a J.D. degree granted by The University of Akron.
“We are delighted to begin this new 3+3 partnership with Central State University,” Akron Law Dean Emily Janoski-Haehlen said. “For eligible students, the program can be a game-changer. The students complete both baccalaureate and J.D. degrees on an accelerated schedule at a substantial cost savings and are able to enter the job market a year earlier than their undergraduate peers.”
“Central State University is thrilled to make this opportunity with Akron Law available to our students,” said Sidney Williams, director of graduate school preparation programs. “Students who are committed to pursuing a law degree will be able to get a one-year head start on their J.D. after completing three years of a baccalaureate degree.”

DropTopDoc

20/20 Vision With my Buffs On
Daps
Reppin
South Side Chicago to Nola

Akron Law and Central State University establish 3+3 J.D. program​

09/21/2023

Akron Law

Barbara DiGiacomo, Akron Law associate dean for administration and enrollment management, and Sidney Williams, Central State director of graduate school preparation programs, display the agreement following the signing.

The University of Akron School of Law (Akron Law) and Central State University today announced a degree partnership to create a seamless, sequential system for students to obtain both a bachelor‘s degree from Central State and a Juris Doctor (J.D.) from Akron Law in just six years instead of the usual seven.
The partnership, commonly referred to as a three plus three (3+3) degree program, offers an exceptional educational opportunity for qualifying students. Central State becomes the sixth college to have a 3+3 program with Akron Law and the first historically black college or university (HBCU) in Ohio to have a 3+3 partnership with any law school.
Pursuant to the agreement, eligible Central State students can apply the first year of law school courses at Akron Law to satisfy the graduation and degree requirements at Central State, and concurrently apply the first year of Akron Law courses toward a J.D. degree granted by The University of Akron.
“We are delighted to begin this new 3+3 partnership with Central State University,” Akron Law Dean Emily Janoski-Haehlen said. “For eligible students, the program can be a game-changer. The students complete both baccalaureate and J.D. degrees on an accelerated schedule at a substantial cost savings and are able to enter the job market a year earlier than their undergraduate peers.”
“Central State University is thrilled to make this opportunity with Akron Law available to our students,” said Sidney Williams, director of graduate school preparation programs. “Students who are committed to pursuing a law degree will be able to get a one-year head start on their J.D. after completing three years of a baccalaureate degree.”

That’s dope af

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.

Central State University Foundation announces $175,000 gift to clear graduates’ Institutional debt​

May 21 2024

central state university graduates react to a surprise $175,000 gift from the central state university foundation

Above: Central State University graduates celebrate with roaring applause after the Central State University Foundation announced a $175,000 gift to clear their Institutional debt.
At the Commencement Ceremony on May 11, the Central State University Foundation made a groundbreaking announcement that thrilled the assembly of graduates and their families, leading to roaring applause at William Patrick McPherson Memorial Stadium.
In an extraordinary act of generosity, the foundation declared a donation of $175,000 to eliminate all outstanding Institutional debt for this year's traditional graduating class.

judge michael nelson announces surprise gift to clear central state university students' institutional debt

Judge Michael Nelson of the Central State University Foundation Board of Trustees announces the elimination of Institutional debt for graduates in the Class of 2024.
“The support from the Foundation will benefit many graduates who strived for an education, but continually faced economic hardship,” Interim Central State University President Dr. Alex Johnson said. “This burden is now lifted, in part, due to the generosity of individuals who have assembled to support Central State University and its students.”
The unprecedented gift ensures that each graduate will leave Central State University without owing any balance to the Institution. The initiative targets debt held directly by Central State, thus allowing graduates to commence their post-collegiate journey with a cleaner financial slate. The relief does not extend to federal student aid debts.
Dr. Derek Anderson, president of the CSU Foundation Board of Trustees, expressed his pride in the board's decision.
"We believe in the immense potential of our graduates and are thrilled to provide them with this foundation as they embark on their next chapters," he said.
Although unable to attend the ceremony, his sentiments were warmly conveyed by Judge Michael Nelson, who presented the award on behalf of the foundation.
Nelson, addressing the graduates, highlighted the significance of this gift: "Today marks not just the culmination of your hard work and dedication, but also the beginning of a promising new phase. The foundation is honored to play a part in ensuring you step into this phase unencumbered by Institutional debt."
Central State President-elect Dr. Morakinyo Kuti said students will use their career opportunities to improve their lives.
“The Foundation’s generosity allows the latest Centralians to grow their wealth by reducing debt from their investment portfolios,” he said.

students react to the announcement of a donation clearing their institutional debt

Graduates react with gratitude to the Central State University Foundation.
The Central State University Foundation's contribution underscores its commitment to supporting students not only academically but also financially. By alleviating the burden of debt, the foundation aims to empower graduates to pursue further education, career advancement, and personal growth without the immediate financial pressures that come with Institutional debt