Rate this HBCU Day 8: Johnson C. Smith University

How would you rate Johnson C. Smith University?

• 1 (If there are no other options...)

Votes: 2 18.2%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 9.1%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5 (It works)

• 10 (Premier institution of Black Excellence)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
JCSU_seal.png
JCSU%20logo.jpg

Our last report was on Huston-Tillotson University, a small private school in Austin, TX which received a voting average of 5.7.

Today we visit Charlotte, North Carolina's only HBCU, Johnson C. Smith University. Another Reconstruction era university, it was originally founded as the Biddle Memorial Institute due to a $1,400 starter donation from Mary Biddle a White benefactor, who was from a prominent Philadelphia family. It was later renamed Biddle University and finally Johnson C. Smith University in 1923 when Jane Berry Smith, the widow of noted Pittsburgh businessman Johnson C. Smith, donated a large sum to the school. Another large source of funds came from the Duke Endowment, the same source of funding for Duke University. The endowment requires 4% of the money go to JCSU each year which helps explain the relatively large endowment for its size for a HBCU. It has one of the more striking pieces of HBCU architecture, Biddle Memorial Hall, which is the center of campus. It has a recent new STEM building, in part due to its close relationships with Bank of America and Wells Fargo (which absorbed local bank Wachovia in 2008), which will hopefully help elevate one or more of the sciences at what has traditionally been a small liberal arts school.

Basic data (all data 2021 unless otherwise noted)
Founded: 1867
City, State: Charlotte, NC
Type: 4-Year Private not-for-profit
Nickname: Golden Bulls
Enrollment and percent Black enrollment: 1,166 (1,122 undergraduate) 72% (but 24% show race unknown)
Out of State Percentage: 57%
Part-time student percentage: 5%
First Generation Student Percentage: 36%
Percentage of students from households under $30k/over $100k: 54% / 7%
Student-to-Faculty Ratio: 9:1

Admissions Acceptance Rate: 84%
4-yr/6-yr graduation rates: 27% / 39% (but 49% before COVID)
Transfer out rate: 10%
Male/Female percentages (Female:Male Ratio): 43% male / 57% female (1.3:1)
Tuition: $18,944
Median Federal Debt After Graduation: $31k
Median Parent PLUS Loans After Graduation: $30k
Median Earning 10-Years after 10 years from freshman year: $37,073
Median Earnings for specific majors after 3 years after graduation:
Computer and Information Sciences: $39,905, Social Work: $36,337, Business Administration: $33,945

Top Majors by Degrees:
Business Administration, Biology, Criminology, Communications

Endowment: $66.5M (Duke Endowment is substantial)
Alumni Engagement: 16% of alumni donate
Athletic Conference: Central Intercollegiate Athletic Association (NCAA Div II)

Mascot: Golden Bull
logo.svg

Prominent Alumni:

Frederick C. Branch, First African American officer in the United States Marine Corps
BranchFrederickC_USMC_2ndLt.jpg

Sadye Curry, First African-American woman to become a gastroenterologist in the United States.
75.jpg

Edward R. Dudley, First African-American to hold the rank of Ambassador of the United States, serving as ambassador to Liberia (where he had been serving with the rank of minister) from 1949 through 1953.
Ambassador_Edward_R_Dudley.jpg

Henry Aaron Hill, Fluorocarbon chemist who became the first African-American president of the American Chemical Society (ACS).
Henry_Aaron_Hill.jpg

Main Campus

Biddle_Memorial_Hall_Johnson_C_Smith_University_Charlotte_February_12_2011.jpg

Biddle Memorial Hall
JCSU-Biddle-Hall-1.jpeg

Student Union
524bb1a8f22684ea70a327fdf406bd38.jpg

STEM Center

DSC03584_Final.jpg

Irwin Belk Stadium
JCSU_Commencement_2015.jpg

GV9A0305_N1viY.JPG

Luv-A-Bulls Cheerleaders
fans_4503.jpg

Leroy_Harden_of_Life_N_Pictures_Productions_5822.jpg

jcsu-homecoming-parade.jpg

JCSU-Homecoming-2021.jpg

jcsmith-mr-and-miss-2019-500.jpg

Rules:

1. Thecoli will be rating most of the 101 Historically Black Colleges and Universities during the first half of 2023.

2. You can rate the HBCU on several factors including academics, the administration, school experience, athletics, post-grad success, and the "talent"

3. You do not have to be an alum/alumna or have attended the HBCU to vote

3. You can rate each HBCU anywhere on a scale of 1-10.

4. The results of the poll will be displayed publicly.

6. This is not a scientific poll, don't take a high or low rating of a HBCU as the full measure of the "worth" of the school, whether someone should attend, etc.

7. The polls will be open for 96 hours

8. Rep and dap as many people as you like and don’t forget to 5 star this thread.
Charlotte peeps can chime in: @42 Monks @Responsible Allen Iverson @The M.I.C. @No Sleep @Pressure @Jparker @LordDeathwatch

@SupaVillain @Tug life @Idaeo @Get These Giants @Smokee Robinson @MostReal @Tee @Bryan Danielson @Rollie Forbes @Willie Lump Lump @staticshock @Charlie Hustle @Karume @BigAggieLean. @Optimus Prime @How Sway? @DropTopDoc @TheKongoEmpire @Son_Of_God @Theolodius_Black @mson @xoxodede @Anerdyblackguy @EndDomination @ab.aspectus @Peachstate @Gloxina @HarlemHottie @Originalman

Last edited:

AggiePride336.

Black American. The Sipp/Carolina.
Daps
Reppin
ATL via Tre 4
My aunt went to school here. Don’t know much about the school, but she does rave about it. All my aunts and uncles went to HBCUs throughout NC, so when we all get together, it’s some trash talk taking place.

Go to Charlotte often, but I still haven’t checked this campus out. Will have to do that at some point.

Eternally Jaded

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CT/North-east Caribbean American Crew
My godbrother went there back in what, 2007 I think.

He loved it, was part of the student union.

It's funny, he's the nephew of my other godfather who's a millionaire and after he graduated from Johneon C Smith, he tapped him for a hookup and now he's working in DC in some attorneys office clearing around 100k with a social work degree.

Great guy who's the original pass port breh. Dubai, South Africa, Amsterdam, Catalonia, Brazil, etc.

But he's not tricking(cuz is cheap, know him from boyhood) and he's the definition of 6 ft, 6 certs, handsome gang. Dude just wants to see the world.

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin

staticshock

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta
My neighbor’s son went there & he used to tell me that he loved the school. I’ve never been but I know they’re in the CIAA & they hold a legendary basketball tournament every year that I need to go to.

A 57% out of state student percentage is crazy to me. I’d like to see what states they come from..I didn’t think they were that well known tbh

Eternally Jaded

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CT/North-east Caribbean American Crew
My neighbor’s son went there & he used to tell me that he loved the school. I’ve never been but I know they’re in the CIAA & they hold a legendary basketball tournament every year that I need to go to.

A 57% out of state student percentage is crazy to me. I’d like to see what states they come from..I didn’t think they were that well known tbh
Well me and my godbrother I mentioned before are both from CT.

I actually got accepted to Johnson C Smith in 04 but decided to stay closer to home.

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin

JCSU doesn't break it down anywhere I see but the top alumni chapters are in NC, SC, GA, and DMV so that is probably a good indication.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
Naw let me go off real quick.

This is the worst university I've come across outside of Livingstone. Went here for 2 years and change. Professors openly refer to it as a second chance school for other professors. After my first semester, my english and ethics professors pulled me aside, sat me down, and encouraged me to transfer :mjlol: my dumbass said "No, even though my on-campus living was a condemned building with wiring coming through the roof, even though crackheads regularly stroll on campus, even though campus admin is constantly on the hot seat for embezzling money, even though the number one cause of burnouts for promising students is that they get ran into the ground promoting the university at non-profits because the school can't highlight itself in any other functional way - I want to stay"

Absolute fukking shytshow of a university where they can't even say with certainty their accreditation is safe. Tuition rates make absolutely no sense and are openly predatory for out of state students. Please take note of the washout rates too.

Their most notable majors in computer sciences and business remain outdated and unsupported by third party institutions in comparison to similar schools. They do not have a networking pipeline worth mentioning tied to the school. The only building worth talking about on the entire campus is the library.

Sports? The basketball court doesn't even measure up to a modern high school facility. The football stadium is a cut out :dead: these clowns have the train tracks too close so there's only half a stadium. I'd actually give props to the sports medicine spot on campus - if they weren't known for leaving people high and dry when it was time to revisit athletic scholarships. Jamaican junior olympics and amateurs used to work out with our track team and it was a huge statement towards the campus' commitments internationally - but they fukked that up too with recruiting violations.

I've got stories for days. From a pimp coming to our basketball dorm to cut a player who didn't want to pay his girl, to a party bus full of freshmen getting robbed right after orientation, to personal information being stolen from the campus provided laptops regularly, even to myself not being able to count to ten in spanish but passing spanish I and II because the prof didn't want to draw attention to the fact she was fukking half the class.

The best thing JCSU has going for it is the city of Charlotte. You're walking distance (its a bit safer now at least) to Uptown and all that offers. If you're an ambitious, highly capable, resilient individual from the jump - you will find a way to succeed anywhere. JCSU is not a credit to your success though but a burden you overcame. If anything, they put an unreasonable burden on their best students to overcompensate for the mess they are regarding everything else. It is prohibitively hard to transfer from a school constantly jacked up in one way or another.

And the worst thing is, I didn't even know how jacked up the school was until I started traveling more. The small campus allows everything to be rationalized and compartmentalized.

So about the out-of-state percentage, I believe DC, Maryland, and a few other states get a grant or something which drives down the initial costs the first few years as long as students maintain a certain academic standing. A very attractive offer to people wanting a change of scenery. Its referred to as a trap by many because the acceptance rate is too high or that type of thing - many of those kids end up fukked and require loans to stay enrolled after that. There is no corrective action or support for a school with high professor turnover and a revolving door of students.

Also, the basketball tournament and several football games are held *off* campus. There's an older football stadium not far down the road that's in a great area and the basketball tourney is held where the Hornets play lol.