Rate this HBCU Day 8: Johnson C. Smith University

How would you rate Johnson C. Smith University?

• 1 (If there are no other options...)

Votes: 2 18.2%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 9.1%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 5 (It works)

• 10 (Premier institution of Black Excellence)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
@42 Monks
The sad thing is when you peel back the layers, a lot of hbcu alum can show so much dirt on their school, but we wash over it like a battered mate

Dropping mega ton bombs

Sheesh, i knew a guy that went there, from my chiropractic school, cool dude, raved about it, was in the band
experiences may vary :hubie: i will say that the band took care of its people better than the athletic department took care of their own.

JCSU also at one point had a solid sports marketing pathway - but again they couldn't retain those professors and it turned arid as well

Eternally Jaded

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
CT/North-east Caribbean American Crew
@42 Monks

Yeah the HBCU in the middle of the hood thing is mad common. It's just a reality of circumstance.

My freshman year i was at Virginia Union University in Richmond and the only time I got shot at in my life was when I went to a BK that was literally three blocks down from the campus.

Transferred to Bowie State the next year. Nice campus secluded in the sticks but definitely not hood at all.

42 Monks

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Carolina
@42 Monks

Yeah the HBCU in the middle of the hood thing is mad common. It's just a reality of circumstance.

My freshman year i was at Virginia Union University in Richmond and the only time I got shot at in my life was when I went to a BK that was literally three blocks down from the campus.

Transferred to Bowie State the next year. Nice campus secluded in the sticks but definitely not hood at all.
Yeah none of the stories about that are cap. I think I've spoken to @Morose Polymath and @Bryan Danielson about some of my experiences there in the past as well.

To double back on the Charlotte as a city provides opportunities more than the school itself does - the business relations core at JCSU is always going to be a in positive situation because the event center and facilities are so close to the major ones in the city itself. My girl at the time used to regularly get entertainers to stop through on promotion events at no cost simply because repping an HBCU is a checkbox for a lot of media groups.

So you will absolutely have the opportunity to leverage that in your advantage if you've got your shyt together and have a forward thinking mindset there. That's not something that's common at all imo. Even Howard struggles to have a casual, passive relationship with PR squads that are organically coming and going through DC. Its not on the syllabus though and you legit need to come with those communication skills already.

I'll also say I watched one of my boys in the tennis team get literally thrown into the bushes by Vivica A Fox's bodyguards for approaching her too quickly after an autograph session ended :mjlol:

Bryan Danielson

Jmare007 x Bryan Danielson x JLova = King Ghidorah
Daps
Reppin
#We Are The Flash #DOOMSET #LukeCageSet #NEWLWO
Naw let me go off real quick.

This is the worst university I've come across outside of Livingstone. Went here for 2 years and change. Professors openly refer to it as a second chance school for other professors. After my first semester, my english and ethics professors pulled me aside, sat me down, and encouraged me to transfer :mjlol: my dumbass said "No, even though my on-campus living was a condemned building with wiring coming through the roof, even though crackheads regularly stroll on campus, even though campus admin is constantly on the hot seat for embezzling money, even though the number one cause of burnouts for promising students is that they get ran into the ground promoting the university at non-profits because the school can't highlight itself in any other functional way - I want to stay"

Absolute fukking shytshow of a university where they can't even say with certainty their accreditation is safe. Tuition rates make absolutely no sense and are openly predatory for out of state students. Please take note of the washout rates too.

Their most notable majors in computer sciences and business remain outdated and unsupported by third party institutions in comparison to similar schools. They do not have a networking pipeline worth mentioning tied to the school. The only building worth talking about on the entire campus is the library.

Sports? The basketball court doesn't even measure up to a modern high school facility. The football stadium is a cut out :dead: these clowns have the train tracks too close so there's only half a stadium. I'd actually give props to the sports medicine spot on campus - if they weren't known for leaving people high and dry when it was time to revisit athletic scholarships. Jamaican junior olympics and amateurs used to work out with our track team and it was a huge statement towards the campus' commitments internationally - but they fukked that up too with recruiting violations.

I've got stories for days. From a pimp coming to our basketball dorm to cut a player who didn't want to pay his girl, to a party bus full of freshmen getting robbed right after orientation, to personal information being stolen from the campus provided laptops regularly, even to myself not being able to count to ten in spanish but passing spanish I and II because the prof didn't want to draw attention to the fact she was fukking half the class.

The best thing JCSU has going for it is the city of Charlotte. You're walking distance (its a bit safer now at least) to Uptown and all that offers. If you're an ambitious, highly capable, resilient individual from the jump - you will find a way to succeed anywhere. JCSU is not a credit to your success though but a burden you overcame. If anything, they put an unreasonable burden on their best students to overcompensate for the mess they are regarding everything else. It is prohibitively hard to transfer from a school constantly jacked up in one way or another.

And the worst thing is, I didn't even know how jacked up the school was until I started traveling more. The small campus allows everything to be rationalized and compartmentalized.

So about the out-of-state percentage, I believe DC, Maryland, and a few other states get a grant or something which drives down the initial costs the first few years as long as students maintain a certain academic standing. A very attractive offer to people wanting a change of scenery. Its referred to as a trap by many because the acceptance rate is too high or that type of thing - many of those kids end up fukked and require loans to stay enrolled after that. There is no corrective action or support for a school with high professor turnover and a revolving door of students.

Also, the basketball tournament and several football games are held *off* campus. There's an older football stadium not far down the road that's in a great area and the basketball tourney is held where the Hornets play lol.

Good grief man…. Livingstone was something else….. I’ll tell my Livingstone story at another time but coming from A&T to visit friends, living in a city with WSSU.

Visiting plenty of other schools. At the time, I never seen anything as low as Livingstone. Good lawd

Bigblackted4

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Eastcleveland
@42 Monks

So me and my ex where so confused why anybody would go to Virginia Union or VCU. That area is so poverty stricken and run down it’s crazy. The University of Richmond is one of the best college campuses I have ever seen.

Daps
I didn't go to JCSU so I don't have any stories, but I do know that JCSU is located in the oldest Black neighborhood in Charlotte but the area is being gentrified due to its close location to Uptown. So the school is gonna be a HBCU in the middle of a bunch of white people.

Daps
So me and my ex where so confused why anybody would go to Virginia Union or VCU. That area is so poverty stricken and run down it’s crazy. The University of Richmond is one of the best college campuses I have ever seen.

Have you seen VCU recently? It's not run down and has taken over a chunk of downtown Richmond.

skylove4

Veteran
Daps
I used to love stoping at the Bojangles right near the school when I was a kid when visiting my grandmas house. I swear they had the best seasoned fries of any Bojangles on earth:banderas: