REDDIT users talking about the worsening race relations in America.

Calmye

Cali born Cali bred
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
So. Cal
There's another possibility you haven't mentioned here. The increasing popularity of YouTube combined with the near-universal proliferation of smartphones with quality video cameras have increased the public's ability to make sure that others see these abuses when they happen.

In my experience, it has long been argued that the police in America are biased against minorities, but it is only recently that we are starting to see an abundance of examples of this that are difficult to refute, which in turn makes the populace much more receptive to accusations of bias even in situations where there wasn't a video account of what happened.

The Rodney King incident, which started riots, could have been argued away as an isolated incident with a limited few "bad apples". But it's harder to argue away a systemic problem when YouTube is flooded with evidence of it.

This. I remember when I was a kid and listened to Dave Chapelle's Killin' Them Softly, and laughed at his jokes about police violence. I (being a white kid) thought that police violence against blacks was just that, a joke. After all, I grew up in a black neighborhood and none of my friends had been beaten by the cops.

Fast forward to my mid-twenties and I find out it's not a joke, I see the news stories and YouTube clips, and I ask my black friends, "Is this what it's actually like for you guys?" And they respond, "Yes, what's it like for you?"

Now I understand all of the frustration and anger, they've been screaming at the top of their lungs for decades that they're being profiled / abused, and only now are the media and white majority starting to say, "Oh shyt, you guys were serious about that?"

I remember I watched a Chapelle Show sketch where the premise was that a white collar crook (this was around the same time as the ENRON and WorldCom scandals were happening) was being treated like a black crack dealer, and visa-versa. One thing that stuck out to me was a bit where the cops shoot the guy's dog while they're raiding him. I thought that was a really bizarre bit, because there was no way a cop would just shoot a barking dog. It seemed like the show had left the realm of exaggerating reality for comedy to just making up weird things. Turns out, I was naive as hell because cops apparently shoot dogs all the time.

I listen to news from all sources and the one time I really became upset with something was on just this. In the Atlanta area, a report came out stating that the number of dogs shot during unlawful police raids as well as "routine patrols" had risen significantly.

A conservative radio host spent 40 minutes - yes, forty straight minutes -dedicated to this topic. He claimed the real explanation is that it was the Black cops that were shooting peoples' dogs because they were not raised in households that could afford dogs, and were afraid of dogs and shooting them.

Multiple people called in to add that "black people in the hood always have multiple mean dogs like pit bulls, because that's part of their mentality, and the good cops have to protect themselves."

Person after misguided/hateful person called in to weigh in on the matter. Every theory contradicted each other, and every person was still in agreement that it came down to blacks being lesser individuals. I was so frustrated I had to pull over.

For what it's worth, I now live in Harlem and the most popular dog is not a pit bull, but small dogs like chihuahuas and corgis.

:beli: these cacs finally noticing we aren't lying about them.

Pifferry

blegh
Daps
Where does this myth about me loving reddit come from when one of the first threads I actively posted in on here was attacking the racism found on internet sites in which I posted like two big lists of thread full of racism from Reddit?
Is it because I mentioned that I read a few subs, look at some threads, and occasionally post in them like two posts a week at most?
Or is it because I mentioned that Reddit isn't a monolith?

Drones

Visions of $
Daps
Some cacs are able to identify the injustices they know to be true and speak about them, especially online. When you come to grips with the fact that your people are responsible for centuries of ongoing mistreatment and terrorizing another group, that guilt can be a beast to deal with. They sometimes become keenly aware and feel guilty of the fact that they benefit from a system of blatant and overt oppression.

mrken12

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Maryland
Finally that white acknowledgement I've been looking for :blessed:

:comeon: :laff:

We made it.
s6ud5y.png