Remote work could cut the value of office buildings by $800 billion by 2030 — with San Francisco facing a 'dire outlook,' McKinsey predicts

daemonova

hit it, & I didn't go Erykah Badu crazy, #yallmad
Daps
Seems to me that it would make sense to get rid of some of these unnecessary office buildings and build affordable housing since there's such a shortage.

But I'm sure zoning laws or some bullshyt gets in the way of that.
They not knocking down perfectly good skyscrapers unless to build another skyscraper

The_Sheff

A Thick Sauce N*gga
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL to MEM
Sounds like to me a good problem to have since homelessness is on the rise.

These building are sitting on real estate downtown, close to public transportation, near entertainment venues, tons of restaurants, great window views of the city, etc….. and you think they gonna spend the money to retrofit them for homeless housing? :dahell:

Whoever flips them buildings are gonna make a ton by converting them to expensive condos.

MegaTronBomb!

Power is in my hair nikka
Daps
Reppin
From The Westside With Love
Seems to me that it would make sense to get rid of some of these unnecessary office buildings and build affordable housing since there's such a shortage.

But I'm sure zoning laws or some bullshyt gets in the way of that.

Breh, it's downtown SF. it isn't THAT much space. Plus the logistics of tearing down skyscrapers to build apartments....or to convert office space into apartments is just not a practical solution for the amount of money that's been invested into these buildings.

More and more of these buildings are defaulting on loans are nearing default.

MegaTronBomb!

Power is in my hair nikka
Daps
Reppin
From The Westside With Love
If the city did a census to figure out the median income in each particular neighborhood/district... and then calculated what rent should be rolled back to in order to make the housing "affordable" would benefit residents a whole lot more than trying to create another Hunters Point.

there no way they're going to be able to do a hard reset after 40 years of unchecked housing increases though.

OperationNumbNutts

Superstar
Daps
Interesting. We talk about global warming and climate change, surely working from helps reduce that. You have to ask yourself who owns these buildings, and who benefits from people coming into the office.

Add to that money lost from not travelling into work, gas, coffee shops etc. The deeper down the rabbit hole you go, the more sense it makes and why there’s such resistance to remote working. :sas2:
It's the game being played. Each time there's an economic shift, people are told to adjust when they are impacted. When it impacts companies, they require more change from people than themselves.

IIVI

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
LA
I'm never going back into an office unless you x10 my salary and make it hybrid.

Remote work saves people $6k per year on average and over an hour in commute each day:

Not to mention all the winding up/winding down time after a commute.

Some CEO who makes $1 Billion in a single year means someone making $100k will have to work 1,000 years to earn that, not even counting the next year the CEO makes another $1 Billion.

Sorry, I don't feel bad.

Last edited: