Remote work could cut the value of office buildings by $800 billion by 2030 — with San Francisco facing a 'dire outlook,' McKinsey predicts

Geek Nasty

Brain Knowledgeably Whizzy
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
South Kakalaka
I heard that the cost of turning these buildings into housing isn’t as bad as people say. They just can’t get as much money in rent per square foot is all.

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
Maybe take some of that energy developing bullshyt AI tech no one wants and putting into how to convert commercial buildings into residential.

But its not as easy as it sounds for anything built after 1970-ish. Commercial real estate makes a ton of money for cities. So if all that dries up then you're in a situation where the buck gets passed to single-family home owners in the form of city taxes. Which people DO NOT want.

It's imperative municipalities figure this out. Residential is the only option.

Batsute

The Lion Choker
Daps
Reppin
#Hololive
good, turn these shyts into homes

These real estate developers/investor/speculators are fukking so many aspects of this country up.

Fixed that for you breh, land lords are a symptom not the disease.

once these old foggies retire, wfh will be normal

Nepotism, those foggies’ b*stards have vested interests to maintain the status quo. It’s vicious circle. :francis:

Blessed Koala

Climbing the Pulpit
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Koalabama
Well stuff those buildings with people that need homes, small businesses, and educational purposes :manny:

Simple as pie, but of course this country and slave driving employers hate the fact that they can't crack the whip in person :francis:

WaveWhisperer

Stainless Steel
Daps
Reppin
Steel
They can fukk off. All those profit years since covid , they can take some of that and convert these buildings to apartments. Id love to live in the city when my lease is up

WIA20XX

Superstar
Daps

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
I heard that the cost of turning these buildings into housing isn’t as bad as people say. They just can’t get as much money in rent per square foot is all.

It's expensive. The way you run plumbing, electrical and ventilation is totally different for offices than it is for apartments. In older buildings, they kinda built shyt all the same and it didn't have HVACs so it's much easier to install all that stuff after the fact. But in modern buildings your gotta either tear all that out or add so much more to it that the cost goes through the roof.

But in places like San Fran they may not have a choice.

At30wecashout

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Question for the WFH folks here:

Have you been eating healthier than when you were in-office?
I haven't been WFH in 2 years since I got my current position, but it was a yes for me. Being able to start a meeting AND a meal at the same time was a damn blessing. There was zero reason to eat out (save for the occasional Harold's chicken run) and not having to drive also meant I just got more food. I was eating 3 lean pork chops a day or cooking 4 chicken thighs when they were 12 for $4(those days are long fukking gone). Even eating Salmon every day. Bruh I miss the vegetable soups and pho I would cook up cause I just always had the time to do it.

Batsute

The Lion Choker
Daps
Reppin
#Hololive
Question for the WFH folks here:

Have you been eating healthier than when you were in-office?

I have well back to it, it’s impossible to eat healthy at work cause everybody always want ramen or happy hour.

At home I can just bust out my prepped meals and keep count. Can’t do that with tonkotsu. is broth counted in calories, how many calories are in this pork belly?

MegaTronBomb!

Power is in my hair nikka
Daps
Reppin
From The Westside With Love

At the same time, would you move into a building knowing that the developers are likely to default on the loans they took out....just cause it's affordable?