Republican Governor of Mississippi Proclaims April ‘Confederate Heritage Month’

3rdWorld

Veteran
Daps
I honestly cannot fathom life as a Black person in the deep south..I know couldn't handle it.
I hate people thinking they better than me and can boss me around.
As someone already stated, this is terrorism and must be treated as such.

3rdWorld

Veteran
Daps
We went thru generations of slavery and are told to get over it from muhfukkas who can't let FOUR YEARS of the Confederacy go.

My people went thru 400 years to your FOUR :hhh:

Let's see if this move gets the same energy as John Boyega in the Dr. Pepper commercial tho :unimpressed:

Any cac bold enough to tell me to get over my history will cry.
They need to tell the Jews to get over the holocaust as well..

NoMoreWhiteWoman2020

RIP Kobe, the best
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CTE
Disgusting and disrespectful AF.

Please call, email and/or fax his office and go off -- and request for this to be voided.

Tate Reeves / Governor of the State of Mississippi
550 High Street, Sillers Building, 19th Floor
Jackson, MS 39201
Governor of Mississippi | MS.GOV
Just left a message with the receptionist. I know it won’t amount to much but that shyt is disgusting.

Ya' Cousin Cleon

OG COUCH CORNER HUSTLA
Daps
Reppin
Harvey World to Dallas, TX

Black Haven

We will find another road to glory!!!
Daps
How does a state that is half black have a racist republican cac governor?

Black voters sue Mississippi over Jim Crow-era laws that benefit white candidates
The plaintiffs are being represented by former U.S. attorney general Eric Holder's group tasked with helping re-envision the U.S. electoral map
DANIELLE MCLEANMAY 31, 2019, 5:47 PM

• JACKSON, MS - JANUARY 10: THE MISSISSIPPI STATE CAPITOL DOME IS VISIBLE IN THE DISTANCE AS THE FLAG OF THE STATE OF MISSISSIPPI FLIES NEARBY IN JACKSON, MS ON JANUARY 10, 2019. (PHOTO BY BRANDON DILL FOR THE WASHINGTON POST VIA GETTY IMAGES)
    filed a lawsuit with the U.S. District Court of Southern Mississippi on Thursday, challenging the state’s 1890 Constitution that set racist election rules.

In Mississippi, winners of statewide office have to clear two hurdles. They not only have to win a majority of the state’s popular vote, but a majority of House districts as well. Lawmakers get to pick a winner if a candidate fails to satisfy both criteria.

federal court recently forced the state to redraw one of its most egregious districts.

Under the current system, Mississippi’s ability to pack African Americans into several small state legislative districts gives its white population much more power when electing candidates to statewide office.

As the lawsuit states, “the vast majority of the House districts have a majority-white population that can easily outvote the smaller number of highly concentrated African- American majority districts.”

Mississippi’s history of preventing black Americans from vying for elective office dates back to the post-Civil War Reconstruction era, when Jim Crow was the law of the land in several Southern states.

At the time Mississippi’s election laws were created, black Americans represented the majority of the state’s population, with African Americans holding several statewide seats, according to the lawsuit. Today, about 38% of the state’s population is African American, the highest percentage of any state in the country. But since the 1890 Constitution was enacted, no African American has ever been elected to a statewide office.

“For more than a century, African Americans in Mississippi have been forced to vote in an electoral system that was intentionally created to dilute their voting power,” Holder said in a statement.

“Mississippi’s long, sordid history of racial discrimination and politicians who exploit racial divisions only perpetuate this broken system in which African American interests are woefully underrepresented in the state government,” he said. “This lawsuit seeks to level the playing field so that African American voters are finally able to exercise their right to elect the candidates of their choice to lead Mississippi.”

According to the lawsuit, Mississippi’s electoral system violated the 14th and 15th Amendments of the U.S. Constitution that gave black Americans the right to citizenship and the right to vote, as well as the Voting Rights Act that banned discriminatory voting laws.

In fact, stopping black people from voting was the very basis of Mississippi’s laws, the lawsuit stated. The 1890 Constitution also rolled out several other Jim Crow laws that have since been struck down by the Supreme Court and the Voting Rights Act, including poll taxes and literacy tests — along with a clause that exempted most white people from being subjected to either.

Just two years after the state’s Constitution was enacted, only 9,000 black Americansremained on the state’s voter rolls and one of its local newspapers trumpeted the fact that Mississippi’s political map no longer contained a “black belt.”

Over the past decade, a number of Mississippi’s elected officials also broadcasted their racism when running for office in subtle and not-so-subtle ways, the lawsuit mentions.

For instance, in 2010 former Governor Haley Barbour (R) said he did not remember Jim Crow laws as being “that bad.” In 2017, state House member Karl Oliver (R) wrote on Facebook that people who want to remove Confederate statues should be “lynched.”

And last year, U.S. Sen. Cindy Hyde-Smith (R), when running against African American political opponent Mike Espy (D), told one of her supporters that if they “invited me to a public hanging, I’d be on the front row

Last edited:

Afro

Student of life
Supporter
Daps
The Confederacy was a terrorist organization that planned on stealing land from The United States of America in the hopes of starting their own country

They were defeated in a war that cost hundreds of thousands of American lives in the bloodiest time on American soil

:mjpls:

But they won’t here me tho :francis:

It's legit treason man, wtf.

This is terrorism and treason. The Confederacy committed treason against the United States. Are the black sons of Mississippi going to allow their governor to venerate a treasonous organization that committed terrorism against their own people? This is where the hammer of black southerners need to come out in full force and be laid down. White southerners should not be getting these notions that they can flaunt this terroristic and treasonous organization in our face any longer. This shyt needs to be dealt with. It need to be understood that to flaunt a Confederate flag means that you are waging war against black Americans and that means we have every right to retaliate based off of that act alone.

Exactly, enough said. I was thinking auto jail time, because holy shyt, this is textbook treason!

You want to fight against the United states for your "beliefs".

Take em off welfare and all social programs. You fly that flag? Ten years for domestic terrorism.

But they can't lock up their own family :wow: