Revisiting Japanese Internment on the Anniversary of ‘Korematsu v. United States’

Jimi Swagger

I say whatever I think should be said
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Turtle Island to DXB
On December 18th, 1944 the U.S. Supreme Court in deciding against Fred Korematsu, upheld the constitutionality of President Roosevelt’s Executive Order 9066, issued on February 19th, 1942. The order designated certain areas as military zones from which those of Japanese ancestry could be excluded. The court ruling upholding the constitutionality of the Order did not explicitly address the issue of how the order was implemented—the incarceration of those excluded—but the practical effect was to permit the internments of those targeted by the order. Constitutional scholars now consider the Korematsu decision to be in the category of Dred Scott v. Sanford and Plessy v. Ferguson decisions as examples of egregious Supreme Court judicial errors.

Jimi Swagger

I say whatever I think should be said
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Turtle Island to DXB
The Supreme Court has had its fair share of sickening decisions.

The irony that this internment of Japanese citizens happened during WW2 is just... wow.
Yeah not that long ago. From my understanding, each victim was paid $20K in 1988 about $41K today adjusted for inflation.

Daps
Felix Frankfurter was an all-time shyt-tier justice right along with Roger Taney and half of the current SCOTUS.

There is a great book about SCOTUS during the FDR years called Scorpions that you should read if you're interested in learning more about how this decision was shaped.

The Fukin Prophecy

RIP Champ
Daps
Racism / Race Baiting - "Jap" is a slur
I could honestly careless about Jap treatment during the war...

Those camps were like a Holiday Inn compared to what Chinese, Korean and American POWs went through in Jap death camps...

Look up the rape of Nanking then come back and tell me again how cruel Roosevelt was to these mothafukkas...:martin:

Daps

Those camps were like a Holiday Inn compared to what Chinese, Korean and American POWs went through in Jap death camps...

Look up the rape of Nanking then come back and tell me again how cruel Roosevelt was to these mothafukkas...:martin:

This seems like a red herring. We can agree that Japanese treatment of the Chinese during the Japanese occupation of China is bad and wrong AND that U.S. treatment of Japanese-Americans was also bad and that Korematsu was a decision that goes directly against multiple amendments in the Constitution.

88m3

Fast Money & Foreign Objects
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn
This seems like a red herring. We can agree that Japanese treatment of the Chinese during the Japanese occupation of China is bad and wrong AND that U.S. treatment of Japanese-Americans was also bad and that Korematsu was a decision that goes directly against multiple amendments in the Constitution.

I agree. What if the Japanese had laws that allowed them to do it what they did(I believe they did)?

The Fukin Prophecy

RIP Champ
Daps
Yes the US treatment of ***** was unconstitutional...

Calling the atrocities the **** committed during the war "bad" is grossly negligent...

***** treatment of the Chinese, Koreans and American POW's was downright inhumane and demonic...

I'm not going to spoiler tag these, you ***** apologists need to see them...
nanking-massacre-rape-of-nanking-killing-children.jpg

8029823.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Daps
Yes the US treatment of ***** was unconstitutional...

Calling the atrocities the ***** committed during the war "bad" is grossly negligent...

****** treatment of the Chinese, Koreans and American POW's was downright inhumane and demonic...

I'm not going to spoiler tag these, you ****** apologists need to see them...
nanking-massacre-rape-of-nanking-killing-children.jpg

8029823.jpg

I've seen these before.

You're still not getting it. You ran into this thread to say, "Yeah, Japanese internment was bad, but what the Japanese did to the Chinese during their invasions of China and Korea was worse."

OK, I'll just stipulate that point. But in the context of this thread, so the fukk what? First of all, interned Japanese-Americans =/= the Japanese military. Second of all, it's not "apologizing" for Japanese crimes in China and Korea to point out that Japanese-Americans lost all their shyt and got sent to camps because of the racism of the American government.

In short, you're right about Japanese atrocities in China and Korea during WWII, but that has fukk-all to do with this topic. Stay on topic.

Last edited by a moderator:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether

:why:

Did you just compare how we treat fellow Americans to how another country treats enemy POWs and war crimes in foreign battles? :what:

We should abuse people and fukk up their lives because someone on the other side of the world who vaguely looks like them did something evil? :martin:

These were the ones who LEFT that place. They are Americans. The justifications you just used for that shyt is the pure racist drivel the same white supremacists who pulled it off used to justify it. You didn't see them rounding up Russians and Germans and Italians, did you? :beli:

southpawstyle

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
California
The paper that got me my History degree was a comparison of tone through out the internment process. I looked through newspaper archives for the word "Jap" to see how the conversation evolved into full blown imprisonment. There was a lot of concerns besides American safety. Land and businesses were stolen legally. They labored in the camps (sometimes voluntarily to show support for the war effort) and were dikked when all was said and done. The feds were already rounding up Japanese in California throughout October....before Pearl Harbor and failed negotiations. Yellow Peril was nothing new by the mid 20th century.

1) The Japanese military was ridiculous and people really don't talk about the Bataan Death March or Nanking often enough. That being said, we rounded up our own citizens and put them in camps at the same time the Nazis were. Obviously they weren't extermination camps, but it's still shameful that our democratic nation could manipulate laws in order for such unconstitutional actions.

2) People did argue the camps were to luxurious because they had running water and a "garden"

southpawstyle

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
California
they almost did too :heh:

that's how deep the paranoia was and how upside down shyt got with WW1-2, the white supremacists in the US Govt were willing to cull from their own to hold onto their power
You got a link saying the Italians and Germans were close to imprisonment in America?