"Right to repair" Theres more at stake than just Iphones

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
One your post entirely ignores the simmering civil war in the Republican ranks between the establishment and the Trump fans and teapartiers....Cook is somewhat successfully courting the establishment but the teabagger/Trump base will be less enthusiastic about protecting john deeres profits incurring the wrath of the farmers and consumer advocates.

I predict the bill will quite likely get alot of support from Trumps base....if it passes it will likely be in another state and then subsequently be met with a swift legal challenge

:mjlol: You clearly have no idea how regulations actually work...most regulations actually PROTECT established businesses like Apple and John deere at the cost of smaller competitors and consumers

:ehh: As they should ...many of those regulations are barriers of entry for many small businesses and add heavy costs to consumers...not all regulations are bad but the Federal register grew at an alarming rate under Obama

here is a little primer on the subject

1.that you accept republicans will likely vote to support this do you think this is good or bad for the consumer?

2.regarding the topic at hand the existing protections are consumer protections. It's largely irrelevant if some regulations also protect businesses.

3.this law is exactly a barrier for entry for small shops, 3rd party businesses, and will directly remove choice and increase prices for the consumer.

So, we agree republicans are more likely to implement this.

We agree the bill is bad.

We agree that not all regulations are good or bad.

What's your problem?

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
I live in LA

Your join date makes you a fukk nikka
You spend everyday dikk riding Drake, being the punching bag of the coli, crying over butches over IG, you literally have smilies clowning you, you've begged the mods to take down those photos, and get exposed for at least twice a month since I joined.

You are the very definition of a fukk nikka. Just because I'm not posting there doesn't mean I dont see you.

Now go take some pictures with heart shaped photos over your eyes to cover up your skin blemishes or contribute to the post. Your choice fat nikka.:mjgrin:

Kilgore Trout

Banned
Daps
Reppin
Alabama
You spend everyday dikk riding Drake, being the punching bag of the coli, crying over butches over IG, you literally have smilies clowning you, you've begged the mods to take down those photos, and get exposed for at least twice a month since I joined.

You are the very definition of a fukk nikka. Just because I'm not posting there doesn't mean I dont see you.

Now go take some pictures with heart shaped photos over your eyes to cover up your skin blemishes or contribute to the post. Your choice fat nikka.:mjgrin:

Im a famous photographer and you're a nobody on a message board typing paragraphs about someone who doesn't even know who you are. Is this who you thought you would become?

kill yourself

Your join date

:picard:

I should put you on ignore but i hardly know ya

ⒶⓁⒾⒶⓈ

Doctors without Labcoats
Daps
Reppin
Payments accepted Obamacare,paypal and livestock
1.that you accept republicans will likely vote to support this do you think this is good or bad for the consumer?

2.regarding the topic at hand the existing protections are consumer protections. It's largely irrelevant if some regulations also protect businesses.

3.this law is exactly a barrier for entry for small shops, 3rd party businesses, and will directly remove choice and increase prices for the consumer.

So, we agree republicans are more likely to implement this.

We agree the bill is bad.

We agree that not all regulations are good or bad.

What's your problem?
:mjgrin: Of course i support right to repair.......

:picard: you mean all this time you were arguing and didnt have the faintest grasp of the subject??

The "Right to repair" Bills working their way through various state legislatures would FORCE companies like JD and Apple to provide their customers and repair-shops with proprietary parts and software

They are REFUSING to do so at this moment....They are using their EULA agreements to stop 3rd party repairs and modifications...only their techs can fix or upgrade your gear

At this moment if you buy their equipment they still own the software ....but the equipment is useless without the software.....get it now??

Pressure

#PanthersPosse
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
CookoutGang
you mean all this time you were arguing and didnt have the faintest grasp of the subject??

The "Right to repair" Bills working their way through various state legislatures would FORCE companies like JD and Apple to provide their customers and repair-shops with proprietary parts and software

They are REFUSING to do so at this moment....They are using their EULA agreements to stop 3rd party repairs and modifications...only their techs can fix or upgrade your gear

At this moment if you buy their equipment they still own the software ....but the equipment is useless without the software.....get it now??

Don't overreach. I am more than aware of the policy, EULA, and that companies have used the DMCA to justify not providing manuals, parts, etc to stop the little man. That hasn't been the point of contention and you know that.

Where we differ is whether we think apple et all are lobbying democrats or republicans moreso to prevent these types of bills that consumer protections for technology.

I took a step back and looked for more information regarding these bills and surprisingly they were introduced more often by republicans. Voting wise I've seen that these matters, if they go to vote tend to be all or nothing votes across the aisle regardless of it's in favor or against.

Regarding DMCA which is at the heart of the argument against there seems to be two factors at play. The legislature and the librarian of Congress.

Until 2015 Billington, a republican, held that position and was responsible for making it illegal to unlock or jailbreak your personal devices as well as not granting the exemptions that would solve some of these right to repair issues. It's also worth noting that Billington rarely made these decisions and deferred to the copyright office that he was also responsible for picking the head of.

That's all in limbo with a new law being proposed to have this be a presidential appointment with Senate confirmation.

The long short, with a new LOC and a new head head of the copyright office in the pipeline we will likely see where allegiances lie in regard to right to repair and other common sense laws.

Sorry for wrongly saying this law was intended to remove those protections instead of adding them. I simply misspoke. It happens. :yeshrug:

ⒶⓁⒾⒶⓈ

Doctors without Labcoats
Daps
Reppin
Payments accepted Obamacare,paypal and livestock
Don't overreach. I am more than aware of the policy, EULA, and that companies have used the DMCA to justify not providing manuals, parts, etc to stop the little man. That hasn't been the point of contention and you know that.
:usure: If that wasnt your contention you should have been more specific

The crux of Apple and JD opposition is that the software that runs the machines they sell is their property in perpetuity .......which crashes into the self evident logic that the machine is useless without the software.
So if they own a critical component of what they sold you forever and threaten to prosecute you if you fix,upgrade or modify it then have they actually sold it to you? Do you have real title to it? or just overpay to own a hunk of metal and plastic?

Where we differ is whether we think apple et all are lobbying democrats or republicans moreso to prevent these types of bills that consumer protections for technology.
Not really They are lobbying for their profits,they make alot of money from service and a ruling in their favor would be a multi billion dollar protected market

ps "consumer protection" is such a broad and vague term and the govt regulators do so poorly at it as you can tell from all the class action lawsuit ads that come on TV every day.

I took a step back and looked for more information regarding these bills and surprisingly they were introduced more often by republicans. Voting wise I've seen that these matters, if they go to vote tend to be all or nothing votes across the aisle regardless of it's in favor or against.
:sas1: Not surprising Freedom is abundant on the right..you should reconsider your position.

Regarding DMCA which is at the heart of the argument against there seems to be two factors at play. The legislature and the librarian of Congress.

Until 2015 Billington, a republican, held that position and was responsible for making it illegal to unlock or jailbreak your personal devices as well as not granting the exemptions that would solve some of these right to repair issues. It's also worth noting that Billington rarely made these decisions and deferred to the copyright office that he was also responsible for picking the head of.

That's all in limbo with a new law being proposed to have this be a presidential appointment with Senate confirmation.

The long short, with a new LOC and a new head head of the copyright office in the pipeline we will likely see where allegiances lie in regard to right to repair and other common sense laws.

Sorry for wrongly saying this law was intended to remove those protections instead of adding them. I simply misspoke. It happens. :yeshrug:
:obama:That was quite a verbose and unwieldy attempt at backtracking.