Safety vs cornerback

str8up

dial 1900-raekwon
Supporter
Daps
It's a close one but I think corner is harder to play, especially physical

But the best I've ever watched play safety was Bob Sanders and CB probably Woodson or Champ

desjardins

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Mustard Island
Is any one taking into account the impact that body size has on which position is harder? it's less of a issue now with teams going with bigger CBs but traditionally i think there was a specific body type for CB vs. S
i was a 5'11 150lb freshman CB the 1 yr i played in high school and i'd want no parts of stuffing the run as a safety. I got ran over the one time i squared up on a RB coming out of a hole. I'm about 40lbs heavier now and theoretically i would have been at least 180lbs of muscle if i kept playing or played in college but still i think it would have been too much physically for someone with my build to play S even tho i was adequate playing CB

QuintessentialBM

GoldenAgeGamer82 - PSN ID
Daps
Reppin
Gamers Paradise
Safety is the most difficult position in the secondary to play. While I agree, that playing corner is physically demanding, they don't have the responsibilities of the safeties. Here are the points for my argument:

• Safeties are the LAST line of defense. If they don't make the play, it generally results in a TD.
  • Regardless of system, safeties must be proficient in tackling and coverage, especially in open space due to reason #1.
  • Depending on system, safeties are responsible for the coverage calls for the entire secondary.
  • When the LB's or CB's fukk up, the safeties are the clean up men!!!!
There have been many great corners that have been mentioned in this thread, but the list could be equally as long for great safeties.

I've been watching football and have played it for a very long time.... really no position is less important than the other, but a great safety can mask a mediocre, or even shytty corner. A good corner can somewhat mask the deficiencies of a bad safety, but he doesn't have the same responsibilities.

For these reasons, safety is the more difficult position to play.

Last edited:

QuintessentialBM

GoldenAgeGamer82 - PSN ID
Daps
Reppin
Gamers Paradise
CB is the hardest position to play in all of sports, imo.

Every rule is there to make your life harder and you're guessing every play.

I would say goalkeepers/goalie in soccer and in hockey, especially if your defense is terrible. In these days and times, not many teams have a great defense because of the proliferation of quality offensive players.

They singlehandedly can stop teams from winning games.

Not many NFL teams have 2 corners that can lock down a field, and even if they do, those defenses can still be exploited very deep (where safeties are.... this is why they're important) or in the middle of the field where most LB's generally have trouble, especially in coverage.

Codeine Bryant

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW
I would say goalkeepers/goalie in soccer and in hockey, especially if your defense is terrible. In these days and times, not many teams have a great defense because of the proliferation of quality offensive players.

They singlehandedly can stop teams from winning games.
Playing Goalie is hard, no doubt. But they are protected.

You can't screen a soccer goalie. Not even remotely. They will call off the goal.

You can't touch a hockey goalie. You can't even give him an ice shower without his defensemen coming up to you and telling you to fukk off.

You can do whatever you want to a CB. They are afforded no protection. The game has been changed specifically so they can be victimized more often and lead to higher scoring games to attract casual fans.

King Kreole

natural blondie like goku
Daps
PS - Why are there no white corners the same way there aint no black punters? :ohhh::russ:
:usure:
7733340.jpg

hashmander

Hale End
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Arsenal
of course cornerback is more difficult than safety. if you can move from corner to safety after injury or age robs you of some athleticism then obviously the less athletically taxing position is easier.

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
:usure:You must be young cause no way you coulda seen Prime and say this.
I seen Prime in his prime, and I would take Revis.

Revis was better technically although not as fast, he had great close speed.

Deion was more spectacular tho.

MegaTronBomb!

Power is in my hair nikka
Daps
Reppin
From The Westside With Love
fukks no.

Playing corner is the hardest position to play next to quarterback.

This tells me you've never played before,which is fine, but that statement you made is ludicrous.

The skill it takes to jam a receiver, steer him away from a certain route, flip your hips around and stay with this guy like white on rice, then adhering to the 5 yard rule, looking back at the ball before breaking up the pass etc. etc.

Playing corner is rough man, that's why they get paid more than safeties, and that's why old corners can convert to safety, Deangelo Hall converted to safety this year and played well, after playing corner his whole career. You won't see a safety switching to corner at the end of his career, no fukking way.

:yawn:

This tells me that your feelings got hurt and cant read....cause now you're making it seem like safeties aren't DB's and don't line up against receivers.

The fact that you'll never see a CB be the outright leader of a defense, or make sure everyone else is in position is why i said what i said.

You see CB's becoming safeties, cause they got slow... speed is at a premium in the NFL...Not cause safety is easier to play. and then, you'll see most of those converts be poor tacklers and also take awful angles in space

BTW, DeAngelo Hall is out for the season.... and hasnt played in nearly a month.