SCOTUS rules that gerrymandering can't be resolved by federal courts

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI
Dumb decision, but this is what you come to expect from John Roberts.

Mentioned it in the other thread, but the only way forward is to deal with it at the state level by getting anti-gerrymandering proposals on the ballot like we did in Michigan -

Michigan's anti-gerrymandering proposal is approved. Now what?
I haven't looked in this MI law, but the problem with these referendums like the one in Ohio is that they place partisans on a "independent" commission.

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Dumb decision, but this is what you come to expect from John Roberts.

I haven't looked in this MI law, but the problem with these referendums like the one in Ohio is that they place partisans on a "independent" commission.

Yeah, I can definitely see that being an issue. :francis:

Ours is supposed to be 4 Democrats, 4 Republicans, and 5 "non-partisans".

The initiative will amend Michigan's constitution to create a 13-member independent citizens' redistricting commission, composed of four Republicans, four Democrats and five people who don't identify with either party.

When and how will the commission be put together?

No later than Jan. 1, 2020, the Secretary of State's Office must circulate applications to be filled out by those who want to become redistricting commissioners. Applications will be accepted until June 1, 2020, and the 13 members are to be selected by Sept. 1, 2020, through a process that includes random drawings, efforts to ensure the makeup of the commission represents the state geographically and demographically, and a process by which the four state legislative leaders from the two parties are able to strike from consideration up to five applicants each.

We'll have to see how well it works in practice, but at least we have Democratic Secretary of State as of last election. :lolbron:

Maybe I should apply to be a redistricting commissioner? :ohhh:

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
This becomes a fixture of permanence.

Legislatures, particularly Republican legislatures, once in power, will continue to gerrymander, and with margins like South Carolina, there will be no way to reign them in by sheer voting power.

With support from a legislative machine, and with state courts largely mirroring the ideological composition of the legislature, nothing will be done to check this.