SCOTUS rules that gerrymandering can't be resolved by federal courts

FAH1223

Go Wizards, Go Terps, Go Packers!
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
WASHINGTON, DC
bu bu but the coli told me hillary was just as bad as trump. she would have picked the same judges because shes a horrible candidate right :snoop:

Funny thing is if Hillary won, she probably doesn't get to nominate a judge and the court stays 4-4 :wow:

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
To echo @Call Me James , VOTE.

I wonder how this affects the NC decision, "surgical precision" gerrymandering.

Had Obama put up a black women as SC justice, instead of Garland, would that have changed anything?

You think this will create another blue wave?

Will this decision make it onto the debate tonight?

TheHonorableOmarSharif

HOLGang President U.N.I.T. Representative
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Charlotte by way of Chucktown What
Some thoughts:

I think Roberts (how ever you feel about him) played it down the middle with the dual rulings announced today. Low-key he played a Mueller, in a way.

Why Do Redistricting?
Redistricting is the redrawing of legislative districts. By federal law, redistricting must occur following a census for two reasons. First, new districts must be drawn when a state gains or loses congressional districts as a result of the apportionment of congressional districts to the states. Second, even if the number of districts does not change, governments must redraw districts so that the districts have equal populations.

The admin wanted both rulings in their favor, because the census + redestricting is a way to buy time, while remaining in power.

45 wanting to delay the Census, shows what was more important to the GOP...and reaffirms a fact that has been lost: all politics are local.

I'm in the South, so there's no reason why we shouldn't capitalize on that. The gameplan is to galvanize, mobilize, and capitalize on our numbers to influence state houses, where the redistricting is done.

We need to, in majority Black or Brown localities, stack the decks.. Be it city council, county gov, or state seats.

Clear folks figured that out! Why, can't we take equal advantage? Mostly black communities in SC have a clear (white) county comissioner or State rep. That's illogical.

If we get a plan, these rulings actually (for certain states) change shyt for a decade.

Tuning in for the debate. But, that's the wedge we can win on. Win local, and work up.

Respectfully,

O

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Roberts has some sort of mental weakness where he tells himself he's being fair at the exact moment that he is being a weak, pandering, lapdog of oppression. It's pathetic to watch.

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
Roberts has some sort of mental weakness where he tells himself he's being fair at the exact moment that he is being a weak, pandering, lapdog of oppression. It's pathetic to watch.

Robert's is more worried about keeping the S.C. from being a partisan tool than being fair. The results of course are a mixed bag.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Robert's is more worried about keeping the S.C. from being a partisan tool than being fair. The results of course are a mixed bag.
That can only occur from the cognitive dissonance of pretending that the Electoral College, Senate seat selection, and state distribution isn't already heavily weighted to favor rural White Republicans over everyone else. Every time he abdicates the Supreme Court's federal responsibility, it ensures that the imbalanced # of states with Republican majorities will allow them to control the presidency, Senate, state legislatures, via gerrymandering the House, and through all that the judiciary. A 35% minority of the country now has power over every branch of government at the state and federal level.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Demo states need to make their maps like Maryland

I don't like disenfranchising people and I'm not sure it does anything in the long game. I mean, just look at 2016, the attempts by the DNC to play dirty in the primary likely had a substantial impact on their failure in the general.

The dems control fewer states than the republicans, and they can't change their disadvantages in the senate. So the more they commit to playing dirty, the more they're digging their own grave. The republicans have all the advantages there. Democrats really do need to appeal to the law and to people's better nature. History shows that doing otherwise virtually always puts power in the hands of the worst people possible.