should black history month include entire diaspora or should it be kept strictly African-American?

• Total voters

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
In one of your excerpts it said negro history since 1830 something. Inferring it was focusing on AA history. The culture that we created around black history month in America was to focus on American history

I know if you know this about AA's. But whenever we say something is "black" its always inferred that we mean African American

No he didn't breh. Here's a link to the the 1st 8 Volumes of the Journal of Negro History.

http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/webbin/gutbook/serial?name=The Journal of Negro History

In the very first volume he talks about the Haitian Revolution, Kingdoms of Songhai and Mali, and black churches in Jamaica.

I swear some of you dudes just love to wallow in ignorance :snoop:

This idea that the guy who created the celebration only wanted to talk about one aspect of our history is just as insane as nikkas saying MLK was a scared c00n who wanted to appease white people :wow:

And here's a direct quote from Carter G. Woodson himself:

Those who have no record of what their forebears have accomplished lose the inspiration which comes from the teaching of biography and history

Last edited:

Elle Driver

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
At the beginning of mean streets
Other Blacks feel the need to come into AA spaces for everything else so why not. As an AA with ethnic pride, I focus on AA history.

Makes sense why nikkas always wanna accept biracials and shyt into the fold. :dry:

But whatever, I always think it's great to include all black history in this sense, though I completely understand where you are coming from.

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY
No he didn't breh. Here's a link to the the 1st 8 Volumes of the Journal of Negro History.

http://onlinebooks.library.upenn.edu/webbin/gutbook/serial?name=The Journal of Negro History

In the very first volume he talks about the Haitian Revolution, Kingdoms of Songhai and Mali, and black churches in Jamaica.

I swear some of you dudes just love to wallow in ignorance :snoop:

This idea that the guy who created the celebration only wanted to talk about one aspect of our history is just as insane as nikkas saying MLK was a scared c00n who wanted to appease white people :wow:

And here's a direct quote from Carter G. Woodson himself:

Obviously the definition of what black history month has changed since the early 1900's. Cats barely know American history let alone all the other stuff. When AA celebrate black history month we traditionally concentrate on AA history, period

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Obviously the definition of what black history month has changed since the early 1900's. Cats barely know American history let alone all the other stuff. When AA celebrate black history month we traditionally concentrate on AA history, period

No it hasn't, the hell you talkin bout :dahell:. The only thing that's changed is people who are completely ignorant of what it was supposed to stand for trying to freestyle the shyt into whatever they want. It's why you get people saying dumb shyt like "white people gave us black history month in February because it was the shortest month of the year."

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
My nikka, read King Leopolds Ghost. That man was truly a devil in human form. :wow:

Real talk good look on that thread. I learned a lot of information in there that I didn't know. It made me go look up something new to contribute and come to find out, a black man invented the ice cream scoop :krs:

You know what might be real dope, we do some research and from February 12-20 we recreate Negro History Week like they did back in the day. Like day 1 (feb12) be blacks in technology where we list all the black people who created technological shyt. Day 2 (Feb 12) is blacks in business. Day 3 (Feb 13) blacks in Education, Day 4 (Feb 14) blacks in the military, etc.

What you think breh :lupe:

Superstar
Daps
AA need to know their own history, but their own history does not have as many positives as black history in general & people need positives to feel proud about themselves. i'll teach my kids general black history with a significant amount of african american history

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY
No it hasn't, the hell you talkin bout :dahell:. The only thing that's changed is people who are completely ignorant of what it was supposed to stand for trying to freestyle the shyt into whatever they want. It's why you get people saying dumb shyt like "white people gave us black history month in February because it was the shortest month of the year."

Breh the shyt was created to honor black American history:beli:. Most real black americans do just that. Obviously black americans are going to touch on our ancestors in west Africa as well. But overall what it is today is a celebration of African American culture breh

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Breh the shyt was created to honor black American history:beli:. Most real black americans do just that. Obviously black americans are going to touch on our ancestors in west Africa as well. But overall what it is today is a celebration of African American culture breh

:snoop: you got it breh.

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
is it strictly a african-american thing? or can the entire diaspora be celebrated?

reason i ask is im reading an article and the writer ended it mentioning how his friend's son picked Roberto Clemente as a subject for a black history month, but was told Roberto Clemente wasn't black.

how do ya feel? should it be strictly about AAs? i respect however ya feel i just wanted to spark a discussion.
I had a pair of Diadora indoor soccer shoes. They were aight. :manny:

havoc

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Live your own life
African Americans are the center-piece of Black History Month. It has been that way since its inception. Black foreigners are not the problem of why people isn't learning enough about the Black American History, since that's how ya want to name it, the issues lie in the restriction of the history. It is confined to the Civil Right era and slavery. The fanaticism of MLK and Malcolm X has not inspired many blacks to learn more of their heritage and accomplishment. Whenever the "Black American History" comes up for a discussion (since ya want to call it that ), the civil rights movement is the first thing that comes into many minds. There are many blacks who don't know Elaine Brown, Charles Drew, Barbara Jordan, etc. It is futile to reduce Black history to AA history when it already has been confined to a few popular African American icons.

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
It is what it is. They have an African heritage month and Caribbean heritage month .An AA's have our black history month

Do you think it would be appropriate to bring somebody up like MLK during those months. C'mon breh

What more do you want breh, I said you got it :what:

Oceanicpuppy

Superstar
Daps
Just African American, because it specifically focuses on AA history and culture.
The others can celebrate within their respective country on different times that are relevant to there history and culture.

Bawon Samedi

Good bye Coli
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Good bye Coli(2014-2020)
If Black History Month should only include AA history(which I disagree), then it should at least include AA history beyond the same cliche slavery, Tuskegee airmen and civil rights. How about we talk about discuss about REAL STUFF like the Gullah Wars or even better AA sailors assisting Haitians in raiding slave ships! To me black history month has been cliche.