should black history month include entire diaspora or should it be kept strictly African-American?

• Total voters

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
It was just an opinion man. People can celebrate whoever they. I just think that the focus should be on us. So im not sure if thats what youre disagreeing with.

I do agree that it shouldnt be limited to just one month of the year though. But thats on black people to make sure their kids know about our accomplishments all year round. So if thats the you were trying to make then Im with you on that.

You gotta realize when Carter G. Woodson created Negro History Week this was 1930's America. Jim Crow was in full effect and black people in America knew absolutely NOTHING about our history. We were segregated, oppressed, misused, mistreated, and being fed a stead of diet of our supposed inferiority. This was the time period when black face was the predominate form of entertainment by whites and the only image we had of ourselves were caricatures. If you read the Miseducation of the Negro he talks about how black people at the time were so miseducated that we believe we were canibals and heathens with zero contributions to the world.

So this celebration was created in an attempt to combat that. It was thanks to people like Dr Woodson as well as J. A. Rogers who started pushing the idea that our history is not just about slavery. It's why books like World's Greatest Men of Color was created, one of the 1st books to finally tell the history of African people to in America who didn't know who we were or what we did. Carter Woodson didn't even believe in the idea that black history should be separated. He said if you teach history accurately and truthfully, our history will be just as great, if not greater than the history of anyone else on the planet. And to say that history starts with slavery is a humongous disservice to our legacy.

AntiVenom

Bedwench & Armchair Militant Killer
Daps
Reppin
NULL
You gotta realize when Carter G. Woodson created Negro History Week this was 1930's America. Jim Crow was in full effect and black people in America knew absolutely NOTHING about our history. We were segregated, oppressed, misused, mistreated, and being fed a stead of diet of our supposed inferiority. This was the time period when black face was the predominate form of entertainment by whites and the only image we had of ourselves were caricatures. If you read the Miseducation of the Negro he talks about how black people at the time were so miseducated that we believe we were canibals and heathens with zero contributions to the world.

So this celebration was created in an attempt to combat that. It was thanks to people like Dr Woodson as well as J. A. Rogers who started pushing the idea that our history is not just about slavery. It's why books like World's Greatest Men of Color was created, one of the 1st books to finally tell the history of African people to in America who didn't know who we were or what we did. Carter Woodson didn't even believe in the idea that black history should be separated. He said if you teach history accurately and truthfully, our history will be just as great, if not greater than the history of anyone else on the planet. And to say that history starts with slavery is a humongous disservice to our legacy.

I hear you man. Even so I still think that the emphasis should be on us. But I can respect how you feel.

Primetime21

This my city
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lemongrass, cherries, alkaline water
Are you insinuating that BLACK HISTORY month should be restricted to AA ? :dwillhuh:

From my viewpoint Black History month is a holiday/tradition/whatever you want to call it, common only to the United States. There's a lot of countries that have weeks or days of Black recognition and its about the history of that particular countries' African people not the entire diaspora. I dont necessarily have a problem with including the entire diaspora I just think you leave it open for it to be hijacked.

J-Nice

A genius is the one most like himself
Supporter
Daps
@beanz I made the thread for all of Black history to be on display as it was intended. It just so happens that I had a vested interest in highlighting African Americans and expecting other people to follow suit and post other heroes throughout the diaspora. I've posted quite a few African Americans that I felt people didn't know enough about or not even know at all. I was waiting for the latino brothas and sistas to post their heroes in the thread because I didn't want to be accused of giving yall an identity that yall didn't ask for by calling you black or African and having my thread turned into a flame war over some color shyt.

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
@beanz I made the thread for all of Black history to be on display as it was intended. It just so happens that I had a vested interest in highlighting African Americans and expecting other people to follow suit and post other heroes throughout the diaspora. I've posted quite a few African Americans that I felt people didn't know enough about or not even know at all. I was waiting for the latino brothas and sistas to post their heroes in the thread because I didn't want to be accused of giving yall an identity that yall didn't ask for by calling you black or African and having my thread turned into a flame war over some color shyt.

i appreciate that breh. i didnt think your intentions were anything other than what u stated i just know how the coli gets about latinos. i was gonna post a few but i had second thoughts and then when i read the bit about roberto clemente i thought id ask for what the general feeling was. not just about latinos but all members of the diaspora that are not american.

J-Nice

A genius is the one most like himself
Supporter
Daps
i appreciate that breh. i didnt think your intentions were anything other than what u stated i just know how the coli gets about latinos. i was gonna post a few but i had second thoughts and then when i read the bit about roberto clemente i thought id ask for what the general feeling was. not just about latinos but all members of the diaspora that are not american.

I feel you. I just didn't think it was my place to put a certain group of people into categories that they don't see themselves in which was why I left that for the latinos on the board to decide for themselves if they were gonna participate. I've traveled to two Latin American countries and have been around Latinos all my life and some don't feel they are African or part of the diaspora while others do. So I came to the conclusion to let them decide for themselves and not push my notions of race and identity on them that they don't understand..

_Anghellic_

Tia Mowry Bandwagon
Daps
Reppin
The Dirty South
Absolutely not true breh, at least not in Jamaica. There's been a bleaching epidemic going on there for at least a few decades. It's so bad there was even songs written about it

This was recorded in the early 90's breh. Plus one of the biggest reggae artists Vybz Kartel bleached his skin

Vybz-Kartel-Before-And-After.jpg

Well I meant pasty white of course. Bleaching to lightskin, yea but pasty white is some other shyt.

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
Other Blacks feel the need to come into AA spaces for everything else so why not. As an AA with ethnic pride, I focus on AA history.

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY
The absolute biggest crock of shyt I've ever read :russ:

The man who created it didn't intend for it to be used that way breh :snoop:

Black History Month was created to be a celebration breh. A month long celebration where we talk about our history. It wasn't supposed to just be "let's learn about black people during 1 month." Matter fact Carter G. Woodson even cancelled Negro History Week a few times because people only wanted to teach black history during that time instead of the entire year. He was so disgusted that he said if you're not gonna teach our people's history throughout the year, then you can't celebrate it in February.

Breh you keep using "WE". Your not AA last time I checked. AA is not simply someone of African descent that happened to live /be born in America.

People seem to have a problem with black americans recognizing shyt as black American. Dudes be having a your culture is our culture-Our culture is OUR culture dynamic when it comes to us. Let black americans try to appropriate Nigerian,jamaican etc culture and we'll see how that works out for them:mjlol:

People can be Nigerian. People can be Jamaican. Why cant people be black American:dahell:

And why cant black American shyt be black american:dahell:

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
Breh you keep using "WE". Your not AA last time I checked. AA is not simply someone of African descent that happened to live /be born in America.

People seem to have a problem with black americans recognizing shyt as black American. Dudes be having a your culture is our culture-Our culture is OUR culture dynamic when it comes to us. Let black americans try to appropriate Nigerian,jamaican etc culture and we'll see how that works out for them:mjlol:

People can be Nigerian. People can be Jamaican. Why cant people be black American:dahell:

And why cant black American shyt be black american:dahell:

Breh...the guy who created Negro History Week, Carter G. Woodson. didn't intend for it to be created that way. That's the whole point :russ:

Like I keep saying, you got nikkas who don't even understand the reason the it was created trying make the shyt into something it's not. Go read any of the works of Carter G. Woodson and see what he says about African history and African American history, then come back and tell me what it was created for.

I'll wait :sas2:

Matter fact here's a link to one of the issues of the journal of negro history, which Carter G. Woodson edited.

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/13642/13642-h/13642-h.htm#a1-3

Surprise, he's talking about the history of black people in Africa :krs:

K.O.N.Y

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NEW YORK CITY
Breh...the guy who created Negro History Week, Carter G. Woodson. didn't intend for it to be created that way. That's the whole point :russ:

Like I keep saying, you got nikkas who don't even understand the reason the it was created trying make the shyt into something it's not. Go read any of the works of Carter G. Woodson and see what he says about African history and African American history, then come back and tell me what it was created for.

I'll wait :sas2:

In one of your excerpts it said negro history since 1830 something. Inferring it was focusing on AA history. The culture that we created around black history month in America was to focus on American history

I know if you know this about AA's. But whenever we say something is "black" its always inferred that we mean African American