should black history month include entire diaspora or should it be kept strictly African-American?

• Total voters

WaveGang

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Be careful with saying that breh. Pretty soon you'll have dudes on here saying you're not really black if you're born in the UK :troll:

On another note, I literally don't know shyt about African History in Europe. I'm assuming you all had your own version of the Civil Rights Movement and shyt. Is there a UK version of MLK or Malcolm X :lupe:

It's kinda a mad story, there has always been small populations of black people in England since the 15th century numbering from 12-40k. But the first big waves of black immigration happened after WWII.

Hitler was a great man, he weakened European Imperialism. Former colonial powers no longer had the might to control their former colonies. This is what caused the Independence of African/Caribbean countries in the 50s and spawned the likes of Nkrumah, Lumumba, Kenyatta, etc

The British economy was a pile of shyt after WWII, and due to causalities of the war they lacked man power. So they conjured up an idea to import cheap labour to rebuild the country.

They set up a propaganda campaigns in the Caribbean, stating high paying jobs, better living standards. They even went as far as to say the streets of England were paved with gold. Even during the war poor Jamaicans were donating money to help what they refereed to as the "mother" county (Britain) that's what they called it.

immigrants_450x300.jpg

windrush.jpg

This is Jamaican immigrants coming off the Windrush which was the first boat to bring Jamaicans over. As you can see, they're dressed like they're all smartly dressed like they're going to church. Little did they know about the racism and harsh living conditions they'd face.

As for our version of Malcolm X, We had Michael X
which the movie Bank Job is loosely based on. But the British intelligence services won't release the files on him to the public until 2050. So the best you'll get is a couple paragraphs you'll find online. But that's just one man, there's been many of many.

Britains the spiritual home of this white supremacy shyt, we in the belly of the beast :demonic:

Last edited:

Supreme HD

Superstar
Daps
When will you guys realise that there is no such thing as black, when we were moors and ruled Egypt we didn't identity ourselves as black, black is a white mans label and words. There is no such thing as black, we are israelites.

Primetime21

This my city
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lemongrass, cherries, alkaline water
:yeshrug: Afro Latinos been on that "I no black Papi" shyt for so long people don't wanna fukk with them :mjlol:This deserves it's own thread, please someone make it.

Nah its not all of them. The Afro Latinos that do recognize their Blackness you dont hear about them because their own countries wont recognize them and they go through the same things as us. I'm talking Afro Peruvians that were killed by the hundreds and had their homes destroyed in a 8.0 earthquake few years ago and their government left them out to dry same way Bush did Blacks here during Hurricane Katrina, but you dont hear about it. I dont know how or why we let Dominicans be the face of Afro Latinos instead of Brazilians, Colombians, Peruvians, Ecuadorians, etc. but it is what it is.

WaveGang

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Fam, I remember someone on this site telling me that it was only African Americans who really got it bad. I'm sitting there reading the shyt confused as fukk. Millions of Africans were killed by King Leopold in Congo (and god knows how many had limbs cut of and were tortured). Millions were killed in South Africa by the Oppenheimer's, Debeers', and Rhode's. Countless millions were enslaved and tortured in South America. But some of these cats really think only us in the US were the ones suffering :wow:

But on another note when I was younger I used to think the only slave revolt there was, was Nat Turner's revolt. Come to find out they were happening all of the diaspora, and in large Numbers. Gasper Yanga in Mexico, Vincent Oge in Saint Dominique, Samuel Sharp in Jamaica, Jack Gladstone in Guyana, and of course the French Revolution in Haiti. It wasn't until I was in my 20's when I heard about La Amistad.

Growing up I used to think we were just sitting there in chains begging for the white man to free us. Come to find out we were revolting all over the planet

In general about a billion Africans were killed, from West Africa To Australia shyt is wild :wow:

I see you mentioned Sam Sharp :salute:I dig your knowledge. In Brazil they even revolted and set up their own colony called Quilombo. Same was done by the Zanj rebellion literally inside modern day Iran, their colony ran for 15yrs.

In Jamaica witchcraft, what we call Obeah was banned by the British because it was the cause of so many rebellions. Least we forget the Jamaican national hero Nanny of the Maroons who used Obeah to free my people. Whenever you hear people saying Vodoo/Witchcraft/Obeah is bad. Shut them down with that European bullshyt :aicmon:
Quilo

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
@bdizzle you have any comprehensive books on all the slave revolts that you named? Also any books on the plight caused by King Leopold, Openheimmers, Debeers, and Rhodes?

Unfortunately I don't. Supposedly a good book on some of the slave revolts in the US is called American Negro Slave Revolts by Herbert Aptheker. I haven't read it personally but Bobby Seale said it was one of the books that blew his mind as a youngin as it documented 250 slave revolts in the US alone. If you're gonna order the book, hit up @2Quik4UHoes. He works for a black owned book store.

For the rest you'll probably just have to Google to find some links about them. There's probably some documentaries on YouTube as well. Sadly I just started learning about many of them in the last 6 months or so. Here's a list of all the key figures I've been able to find so far:

Gasper Yanga
Benkos Bioho
Juan Garrido
Zumbi dos Palmares
Quamina Gladstone
Jack Gladstone
Sengbe Pieh (Joseph Cinqué)
Cuffy (Kofi) - see Atta, Accara and Accabre
Samuel Sharp - Jamaica
Bussa
Vincent Ogé

And here's some of the revolts.

Demerara rebellion of 1823
Haitian Revolution of 1791
Nat Turner rebellion of 1831
La Amistad Revolt
Jamaican Baptist War
Bussa's Rebellion
Ogé Revolt

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR

33:25 Says Jamaicans hustle far harder than Dominicans there(notice how he raises his voice when he says Dominicans :russ: )

36:20 He basically calls Dominicans hoe ass c00ns that wish they were white. Not all, but collectively of course.

40:00 shyts on Dominicans a little more saying they see themselves as different from other Africans.

:yeshrug: Afro Latinos been on that "I no black Papi" shyt for so long people don't wanna fukk with them :mjlol:This deserves it's own thread, please someone make it.

@7Revo here is that show I was telling you about. I finally found it.

dominican history is running on a different timeline than american history so ya cant really compare. trujillo and his racist ideologies were going on while the civil rights movement was starting out here. so while ya were making moves we still had a racist murderous dictator who required people to put his picture on their wall or be thrown in jail. dude was a madman(backed by the US) so of course some of his stink still exists.

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
It's kinda a mad story, there has always been small populations of black people in England since the 15th century numbering from 12-40k. But the first big waves of black immigration happened after WWII.

Hitler was a great man, he weakened European Imperialism. Former colonial powers no longer had the might to control their former colonies. This is what caused the Independence of African/Caribbean countries in the 50s and spawned the likes of Nkrumah, Lumumba, Kenyatta, etc

The British economy was a pile of shyt after WWII, and due to causalities of the war they lacked man power. So they conjured up an idea to import cheap labour to rebuild the country.

They set up a propaganda campaigns in the Caribbean, stating high paying jobs, better living standards. They even went as far as to say the streets of England were paved with gold. Even during the war poor Jamaicans were donating money to help what they refereed to as the "mother" county (Britain) that's what they called it.

immigrants_450x300.jpg

windrush.jpg

This is Jamaican immigrants coming off the Windrush which was the first boat to bring Jamaicans over. As you can see, they're dressed like they're all smartly dressed like they're going to church. Little did they know about the racism and harsh living conditions they'd face.

As for our version of Malcolm X, We had Michael X
which the movie Bank Job is loosely based on. But the British intelligence services won't release the files on him to the public until 2050. So the best you'll get is a couple paragraphs you'll find online. But that's just one man, there's been many of many.

Britains the spiritual home of this white supremacy shyt, we in the belly of the beast :demonic:

:ohhh:

So hold up, there wasn't a large number of slaves in England :dwillhuh:

EDIT: Hold up it's based off this movie?

BankJob_.jpg

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
Nah its not all of them. The Afro Latinos that do recognize their Blackness you dont hear about them because their own countries wont recognize them and they go through the same things as us. I'm talking Afro Peruvians that were killed by the hundreds and had their homes destroyed in a 8.0 earthquake few years ago and their government left them out to dry same way Bush did Blacks here during Hurricane Katrina, but you dont hear about it. I dont know how or why we let Dominicans be the face of Afro Latinos instead of Brazilians, Colombians, Peruvians, Ecuadorians, etc. but it is what it is.

because despite what that "i no black papi" comedian and zoe saldana says and what sammy sosa does, dominicans are here(on the east coast at least) in large numbers and most of us dont feel like that. but just like any other group, we solely get judged by our worst.

DreadBrown

Feed the children
Daps
When will you guys realise that there is no such thing as black

I been thinking about this more and more lately.

My Grandma will tell you she's not black she's Jamaican, 'black' wasn't a term her generation used. 'Black' isn't a nationality, race or ethnicity none of us come from 'black' and will never visit 'black'. If we are having problems in non 'black' nations we can't go to the 'black' embassy. 'Black' isn't real, that's why we're disposable to other races there's no centralized 'black' authority to defend us.

'Blackness' gives us a sense of unity in the face of western persecution but it's an empty concept, it doesn't mean anything. It's a broad generalization that diminishes the uniqueness of African cultures all over the world.

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
When will you guys realise that there is no such thing as black, when we were moors and ruled Egypt we didn't identity ourselves as black, black is a white mans label and words. There is no such thing as black, we are israelites.

:heh: here we go, round 2. Fight!

Primetime21

This my city
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lemongrass, cherries, alkaline water
I been thinking about this more and more lately.

My Grandma will tell you she's not black she's Jamaican, 'black' wasn't a term her generation used. 'Black' isn't a nationality, race or ethnicity none of us come from 'black' and will never visit 'black'. If we are having problems in non 'black' nations we can't go to the 'black' embassy. 'Black' isn't real, that's why we're disposable to other races there's no centralized 'black' authority to defend us.

'Blackness' gives us a sense of unity in the face of western persecution but it's an empty concept, it doesn't mean anything. It's a broad generalization that diminishes the uniqueness of African cultures all over the world.

Do you know where the name Jamaica comes from?

↓R↑LYB

Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
In general about a billion Africans were killed, from West Africa To Australia shyt is wild :wow:

I see you mentioned Sam Sharp :salute:I dig your knowledge. In Brazil they even revolted and set up their own colony called Quilombo. Same was done by the Zanj rebellion literally inside modern day Iran, their colony ran for 15yrs.

In Jamaica witchcraft, what we call Obeah was banned by the British because it was the cause of so many rebellions. Least we forget the Jamaican national hero Nanny of the Maroons who used Obeah to free my people. Whenever you hear people saying Vodoo/Witchcraft/Obeah is bad. Shut them down with that European bullshyt :aicmon:
Quilo

Breh, I was in the Kevin Gates Voodoo thread trying to explain to nikkas Vodoo isn't a bad thing. It's an African based spiritual system that was the motivation behind numerous slave revolts. I'm not even gonna front, growing up my moms worked some obeah on us to protect us from some negative shyt that was going on at that time. I remember her giving me a bath and lighting candles and pouring oil on us. My pops gave me and my 3 brothers this red bag with a blue ribbon on it which was supposed to protect us from bad spirits. Back when I was a Christian, I was convinced I was cursed because my family "practiced witchcraft" on me as a kid and now the sins of the father (my dad) is gonna pass to his sons (me) :beli:

Cacs had me so fukked up at one point, I was denying my own heritage and culture and replacing it with their white God :camby:

_Anghellic_

Tia Mowry Bandwagon
Daps
Reppin
The Dirty South
dominican history is running on a different timeline than american history so ya cant really compare. trujillo and his racist ideologies were going on while the civil rights movement was starting out here. so while ya were making moves we still had a racist murderous dictator who required people to put his picture on their wall or be thrown in jail. dude was a madman(backed by the US) so of course some of his stink still exists.
Well when you have a prominent Dominican person like Sammy Sosa bleach himself to pasty white, who is darker than me might I add. I'm a caramel Tupac or Kerry Washington skin tone nikka. A man bleaching himself is sort of unheard of. Whether that's here in America, Africa, Jamaica, or Haiti men do not bleach themselves, women of course, but not men. It's just a bad look. Even Charles Barkley with his c00n ass shytted on Sammy Sosa and sorta threw shade at Afro-Latinos for that.

What are people suppose to think when we see a man of African descent bleach himself? It's just wild unheard of shyt.

WaveGang

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
:ohhh:

So hold up, there wasn't a large number of slaves in England :dwillhuh:

EDIT: Hold up it's based off this movie?

BankJob_.jpg

Na not large. There were slaves, but it was more to do with servant work for high society folk etc. Mass labour wasn't necessary due to England not being fertile to grow crops, spices etc. They had colonies all over the world for mass labour

Yea thats the film, never seen it myself.

Michael X is a secondary character in The Bank Job (2008), a dramatisation of a real-life bank robbery in 1971. The film claims that Michael X was in possession of indecent photographs of Princess Margaret and used them to avoid criminal prosecution by threatening to publish them. He was played by Peter de Jersey.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_X

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baker_Street_robbery

Here's John Lennon donating a lock of his hair to the UK Black Panthers HQ, also looks like a pair of Muhammad Ali shorts too

beanz

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
DR
Well when you have a prominent Dominican person like Sammy Sosa bleach himself to pasty white, who is darker than me might I add. I'm a caramel Tupac or Kerry Washington skin tone nikka. A man bleaching himself is sort of unheard of. Whether that's here in America, Africa, Jamaica, or Haiti men do not bleach themselves, women of course, but not men. It's just a bad look. Even Charles Barkley with his c00n ass shytted on Sammy Sosa for that.

bro fukk sammy sosa. prominent? he's a washed up ex baseball player. what he does with his life does not represent an entire group of people. sammy is a joke in DR and isn't taken serious by anybody.

u mentioned barkley. what if west africans judged the entire group of african americans by charles barkley's c00n ass and his statements? a retired old dumb ass basketball player? pretty stupid right?