Single parenthood & the military

Commish

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I'm curious in knowing from you all what your thoughts on some young adults joining the military..

Do you think that some young adults should join the military?

As far as single parenthood goes, should some single parents encourage a grown young adult child who may regressing in life to join the military in order to gain discipline as well as learn a skill, earn some money, travel and have little to no overhead(room/board/food)?

There is a backstory to my questions that I don't wanna get too much in depth with not to mention in the past I was on some Furious Styles iish when it came to Black ppl joining the military, but now I believe that some ppl may need to go that route in order to get their iish together and get back on track with life...

What say you??

Last edited:

Ezekiel 25:17

Veteran
Daps
What kind of question is this?

I've never been in the military, but from what I understand, you get in what you put in.

It can provide all sorts of benefits as long as you take advantage of this. If a young adult is living check to check with no career in sight, the military can be a good option. It will pay for your college degree with the GI Bill, it give you the VA loan, it will allow you to save, you can get into Navy Federal, etc.

I don't know how blacks are treated in the military before or now. I do know of two black folks who retired from the military. One was in his 60s, the other was my aunt. If you're talking about joining the military in the 1940s and 50s you might have a point. But blacks will face racism in every aspect of life, avoiding the military won't fix that.

WaveWhisperer

Stainless Steel
Daps
Reppin
Steel
Yes

5 years ago i joined to get a good job when i got out. While i was in a took a job that gave me me skills that i could use in the real world.

Get in
Get a job that translate to the outside world,lucratively
Stay outta trouble
Dont get married
Dont smoke weed
Create and keep up to date with your resume
No babies
No babies
No babies
You’ll be just fine after that

Last edited:

AtomicUse

Superstar
Daps
I just made a thread about this.

Being in the armed forces, or some government agency is basically the only way a black person will lead a decent life and retire comfortably.

Wish I’d have gone to the service sometimes honestly. I paid for my own education like a sucker. :laugh:

Marc Spector

the 4'11 Cuban
Daps
Reppin
The Milky Way
I'm curious in knowing from you all what your thoughts on some young adults joining the military..

As far as single parenthood goes, should some single parents encourage a grown young adult child who may regressing in life to join the military in order to gain discipline as well as learn a skill, earn some money, travel and have little to no overhead(room/board/food)?

There is a backstory to my questions that I don't wanna get too much in depth with not to mention in the past I was on some Furious Styles iish when it came to Black ppl joining the military, but now I believe that some ppl may need to go that route in order to get their iish together and get back on track with life...

What say you??

some should, some shouldnt. Depends on your circumstances and your attitude more than anything.

Sure. These are all pretty decent reasons for joining.

Overall, the "Furious Styles no black should ever serve" mentality has always been dumb to me. The military can pay huge dividends and in 2024, the racism within the organization is pretty on par with every other company in America. But i am biased as ive been in for 10+ years myself and my father was a 20 year miltary man with a pension. :yeshrug:

Veteran
Daps

Being in the armed forces, or some government agency is basically the only way a black person will lead a decent life and retire comfortably.

Wish I’d have gone to the service honestly.

Go in at 18, retire at 48

Most folks don't retire till their 60s.:wow:

Commish

Superstar
Supporter
Daps

some should, some shouldnt. Depends on your circumstances and your attitude more than anything.

Sure. These are all pretty decent reasons for joining.

Overall, the "Furious Styles no black should ever serve" mentality has always been dumb to me. The military can pay huge dividends and in 2024, the racism within the organization is pretty on par with every other company in America. But i am biased as ive been in for 10+ years myself and my father was a 20 year miltary man with a pension. :yeshrug:

I appreciate your perspective..

I will share this...

My lady is in a pickle with her grown sons who live with her. Yesterday, while we were talking on the phone, her sons got a lil out of pocket with her because they are having some issues with each other. The older one feel that the younger one isn't pulling his weight as far as contributing to the household expenses as well as feel that my lady is coddling the younger grown son. The younger grown son feel the the older son is trying to G check him and my lady isn't trying hard enough to resolve it..

Now, both of them have valid points, but both of them are out of pocket for the way that they talk to their mother...

I think they the younger grown son should consider joining the military because he don't wanna go to school nor go to trade school. He also doesn't have reliable transportation and isn't making much money.

If he doesn't get his iish together then he is gonna have a rough life. Unskilled labor with a HS education and little work experience isn't gonna cut it!

I told my lady that she can't have disharmony in her household and that she should never put up with disrespect being the sole breadwinner, but like many single parents, they wanna handle it on their own. Only problem is that she is overwhelmed and struggling handling the conflict in HER house...

Now, she acting funny style with me a lil, but I think it is self induced because she refuses to put her foot down..

I figured I would share this with ya to give some context to my query...

Commish

Superstar
Supporter
Daps

Wish I’d have gone to the service sometimes honestly. I paid for my own education like a sucker. :laugh:

I missed your thread. Sorry about that..

I'm just trying to get some varying perspective because I wanna help my lady come up with some solutions to her problem. I'm concerned about her as well as one of her kids who may need to join the military to get in track. I don't think that he wan a go that route but to be honest, it may be his only option if he isn't gonna go to college or trade school.

Veteran
Daps
I missed your thread. Sorry about that..

I'm just trying to get some varying perspective because I wanna help my lady come up with some solutions to her problem. I'm concerned about her as well as one of her kids who may need to join the military to get in track. I don't think that he wan a go that route but to be honest, it may be his only option if he isn't gonna go to college or trade school.

College, trade school, and military are the top options.

There's also truck driving or IT.

Commish

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Go in at 18, retire at 48

Most folks don't retire till their 60s.:wow:

Yeah..

I know where I work, quite a few ppl either work into their 70s+ or work until they die...

It's hard for some ppl to retire when they have worked most of their lives, not to mention that everyone's financial situation is different...

Wig Twistin Season

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
If only I knew back then what I know now. I was in the US Navy and got out because I was too young and stupid to understand how to make it work for me and only focused on what I hated about it.

Here’s what I’d do differently now.

1. Do 20 years, get retirement and go in with NO medical issues on record, but figure out which “disability” 😉👀 I could develop while in that would allow me to stay in, but get extra pay after retirement. You’ll be 40 making money with the freedom to start another career and really get paid 3xs a month.

:wow:

2. Let the military pay for my bachelors and masters degrees.

3. Do research before joining and figure out which career path I want AFTER the military and choose my job before enlisting based on that career path. Don’t just sign up for anything. My ASVAB score was 87, so I had a good job, but I don’t currently do anything related to search and track radars.

4. But a house as early as possible and use it to trade up as I advance in life.

Example…

5. Stay away from the people not taking it seriously. You’re not there to do the same shyt you were doing before enlisting. Focus on improvement, not being the same.