Some Simple Coronavirus Facts (COVID-19 Fact Thread)

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Wanted to clear the air cause there's lots of sensationalism going around in both directions. Here are the basics.

* YES, coronavirus hits most folk as nothing more than the flu and you'll get over it

* YES, coronavirus is far deadlier than the flu

* Hospitals getting overrun is the biggest fear

Those first two statements can both be true because the flu ain't very dangerous at all. Somewhere around 1 in 700 people who catch the flu die, and the vast majority are the elderly. The death rate is more like 1 in 5000 for folk aged 18-49 but again many of those had other issues going on. Every once in a while the flu takes some young healthy person and it's a complete shock, but 99,999 times out of 100,000 anyone 10-60 in good health who catches the flu will be fine.

We're still trying to understand coronavirus, but early results suggest that it may be 10x deadlier than the flu. That still means the vast majority of young healthy people will be fine. But the "rare cases" where a young healthy person dies or has serious complications are far more common than they are with the flu, and the danger to people in worse health is much more serious.

So the flu hits maybe 25 million folk a year, and of those maybe 35,000 die. What would happen if we did absolutely nothing in response to coronavirus, just let it spread, and it hit 25 million folk as well. That could mean we're talking possibly 300,000 deaths? Sure, 99% of folk would be fine, but that's a LOT of dead people.

Just as big an issue is that coronavirus affects your lungs in a way that flu doesn't, and compromises your ability to breathe. That means a lot of people are getting put on respirators, even if they're gonna recover. And you look at China, you look at Italy, you look at Iran, it's overwhelming their health care systems. China had to build entire new hospitals to treat coronavirus patients, Italy has patients spilling out into the hallways because the rooms are all full, Iran has people dying on the streets. There's only so many hospital beds, there's only so many respirators, when you have an epidemic wiping through and putting thousands of folk into intensive care on TOP of all the normal day-to-day shyt, things get overloaded fast.

I've heard that in parts of Italy the ambulance response times are over an hour. Think about how that affects not just coronavirus victims, but all the other shyt people get sick/hurt and die from. Everyone is put in danger.

That's why everything is getting shut down. They're trying to slow the spread of the disease to the point that the health care systems can continue to manage the victims. What they're afraid of is exponential spread that overwhelms the systems and causes a ton of folk to die that would otherwise make it.

Last edited:

Cave Savage

Feminist
Daps
Reppin
Women's rights
I was gonna go to Denmark in July...I wonder if this issue will be contained by then, or if international travel will be suspended indefinitely

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
that line about overrun hospitals in Italy is gonna be a major reality

but you know who's really fukked?

people who live in rural areas.
I dunno. People in urban areas contact far more other people on a daily basis, so the spread is likely to be far faster in cities than in rural areas. And rural folk can get outside, take a walk on their farm or in the woods, chill for a while, while urban families are completely stuck inside their homes and risk contagion just stepping out the door. Plus a lot of folk in rural areas are smarter about having stocked up on shyt to keep them going for a while and can keep a lot of shyt going themselves, while urban people don't have that sorta luxury.

And a lot of those worst urban hospitals are already way overcrowded as it. In LA you're talking 3-4 hour wait times in the ER. If coronavirus hits hard it's gonna be a hellhole in there.

Ya' Cousin Cleon

OG COUCH CORNER HUSTLA
Daps
Reppin
Harvey World to Dallas, TX
it depends tho on the rural area. because it's a lot of places where clinics and hospitals aren't as prominent is what I meant, but I feel you

I dunno. People in urban areas contact far more other people on a daily basis, so the spread is likely to be far faster in cities than in rural areas. And rural folk can get outside, take a walk on their farm or in the woods, chill for a while, while urban families are completely stuck inside their homes and risk contagion just stepping out the door. Plus a lot of folk in rural areas are smarter about having stocked up on shyt to keep them going for a while and can keep a lot of shyt going themselves, while urban people don't have that sorta luxury.

And a lot of those worst urban hospitals are already way overcrowded as it. In LA you're talking 3-4 hour wait times in the ER. If coronavirus hits hard it's gonna be a hellhole in there.

You're far more likely to get it in an urban area.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
it depends tho on the rural area. because it's a lot of places where clinics and hospitals aren't as prominent is what I meant, but I feel you

You're right, it might be a long drive to those hospitals or even to get groceries. And whose gonna be checking on the old folks who live alone? Some shyt will hit both ways.

I'll say though that me and my fam are in the middle of the city right now and I REALLY wish we weren't.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
This paper about the possible seasonality of the virus also adds some good news.

https://poseidon01.ssrn.com/deliver...4112106017100088029022121113068064082&EXT=pdf

It points out that all the big outbreaks - China, South Korea, Japan, Iran, Italy, Washington - have been in a fairly narrow climate window (basically from the yellow to where the yellow meets the green). Not only does that give us hope that major outbreaks will stick to those countries in that window, but it increases the chances that this is a seasonal virus which will diminish as the season continues to change.

COVID19Temp.PNG