Some Simple Coronavirus Facts (COVID-19 Fact Thread)

CodeBlaMeVi

I love not to know so I can know more...
Supporter
Daps
You forgot to address the most important coli myth about melanin blocking the virus.
Well, black folks usually from my observations have a high protein diet which produce antibodies for our immune systems thus being better equipped to fend off illnesses.

MajesticLion

Superstar
Daps
Speculative...but once you add in the international-air-travel variable, it tends toward not just possible but likely. A virus that feels more at home in temperate zones will have it's lifespan extended by airports and planes that are typically kept cool.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
i don't think they (the media/government) are doing a good enough job of telling people that most of us will be fine. Mainly the media.
Part of that is wanting everyone to stay careful and not take chances so they don't fukk things up for the vulnerable folk. Part of that is that the media themselves don't necessarily understand the facts. And part of that is that they thrive off of sensationalism.

Amestafuu (Emeritus)

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Well, black folks usually from my observations have a high protein diet which produce antibodies for our immune systems thus being better equipped to fend off illnesses.
have you looked at any health stats in the last 20 year?

poor quality high protein diets are producing a lot of colon cancer and mortality rates are down across the board. nothing you said is reality.
Here is the contradiction

YES, coronavirus hits most folk as nothing more than the flu and you'll get over it

* YES, coronavirus is far deadlier than the flu
well get your information from somewhere else not here

they've already said for people to stop making the flu correlation it is misleading yet here we are... OP meant well.

thecoli.com

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
Here is the contradiction

YES, coronavirus hits most folk as nothing more than the flu and you'll get over it

* YES, coronavirus is far deadlier than the flu
Not really a contradiction. It’s deadlier, but the vast majority will get over it.
the confusing thing i'm seeing is "it's not the flu, but it's flu and the symptoms are the flu".

It's not the flu. It's not in the same virus family. However, at a low level its symptoms are similar (as are many many viruses).

However, a certain % of cases are more serious, and these cases have symptoms quite unlike even bad cases of the flu, mostly due to how it affects lung functioning.

So if you have a weak case like most healthy young and middle-aged people will, then you won't be able to tell the difference. But if you have a serious case it can look VERY different, and that switch can come quickly.

Wiles

Superstar
Daps
It is not deadlier than the flu it's just spreads faster and lives on surfaces longer...

The flu is still deadlier but cook

Last edited:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
If the flu kills more people than the CV obviously the flu is deadlier...hence the name "deadly".

The flu kills more people than Ebola too, would you call the flu "deadlier" than Ebola?

We don't really know enough yet to make a fully accurate comparison, but some guesses right now suggest that COVID-19 may be 8-10 times more likely to lead to death than the flu, and it has heightened risk across all age classes, not just the elderly and sick (at least 4 doctors in China died that I know of and two of them were just 29 and 34 years old). While all the testing and quarantine plus the fact that we might be nearing the end of the season could mean that we keep the overall death totals lower than the flu - hopefully! - it's still been deadlier to the people who have been exposed.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
It's not the flu. It's not in the same virus family. However, at a low level its symptoms are similar (as are many many viruses).

However, a certain % of cases are more serious, and these cases have symptoms quite unlike even bad cases of the flu, mostly due to how it affects lung functioning.

So if you have a weak case like most healthy young and middle-aged people will, then you won't be able to tell the difference. But if you have a serious case it can look VERY different, and that switch can come quickly.

So it's not the flu and it's less dangerous. Got it.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
The flu kills more people than Ebola too, would you call the flu "deadlier" than Ebola?

We don't really know enough yet to make a fully accurate comparison, but some guesses right now suggest that COVID-19 may be 8-10 times more likely to lead to death than the flu, and it has heightened risk across all age classes, not just the elderly and sick (at least 4 doctors in China died that I know of and two of them were just 29 and 34 years old). While all the testing and quarantine plus the fact that we might be nearing the end of the season could mean that we keep the overall death totals lower than the flu - hopefully! - it's still been deadlier to the people who have been exposed.

How did that ebola thing work out? Flu still here kicking ass and taking names...Ebola gone like a fart in the wind.