Spiderman 3: Serenity Now... Sinister Six, Kraven Rumored* releases Nov 5th, 2021!!!

Dr. Narcisse

Veteran
Daps
I remember being hyped for Spider-Man coming to the MCU especially after Civil War. Then Homecoming happened...…..:scusthov:. Far From Home had better action but the story was even worse than Homecoming.
Almost on their 3rd movie and I'm kinda a mix of :ehh::ld:

I dont know if Jon Watts is it. Or maybe they need to let him loose like with the other directors.

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
Spiderman 2 was the best Spiderman, but Garfield definitely was the best.

The only thing these latest Spiderman's do best is world build. The villains aren't bad either. They're not one dimensional.
I love Holland’s take. I prefer Andrews but holland is a close second. That said, the villains, like you said, are really where this Spider-Man iteration shines. Vulture and mysterio are very dope and a great example of good writing and great actors taking fairly one note characters and making them fully dimensional.

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Spiderman 2 was the best Spiderman, but Garfield definitely was the best.

The only thing these latest Spiderman's do best is world build. The villains aren't bad either. They're not one dimensional.

Yeah, Spidey 2 is up there as far as GREAT comic book movies.

First 3 Spideys still would make the most money in today's dollars as well in the franchise:yeshrug:

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
I love Holland’s take. I prefer Andrews but holland is a close second. That said, the villains, like you said, are really where this Spider-Man iteration shines. Vulture and mysterio are very dope and a great example of good writing and great actors taking fairly one note characters and making them fully dimensional.

I like that a lot of villains nowadays are not flat. Kind of aligns with real life where most people aren't good or bad, their motivations just may not align with yours. It allows for more charismatic villains and villains you almost can root for.

I watched a good YouTube video maybe a year ago on it where cinematic villains tend to trend where society is going, and it had some good thesis points for why a lot of villains have depth now. Wish I could find it. I never was a huge fan of the blow up the world, rob a bank, I did it for love type of villains you saw back in the day. That's also not say past villains were flat or that a one dimensional villain can't be great...I just think the former allows for more empathy and resonance.

MartyMcFly

What's up doc, can we rock?
Daps
Reppin
P.G. County
I like that a lot of villains nowadays are not flat. Kind of aligns with real life where most people aren't good or bad, their motivations just may not align with yours. It allows for more charismatic villains and villains you almost can root for.

I watched a good YouTube video maybe a year ago on it where cinematic villains tend to trend where society is going, and it had some good thesis points for why a lot of villains have depth now. Wish I could find it. I never was a huge fan of the blow up the world, rob a bank, I did it for love type of villains you saw back in the day. That's also not say past villains were flat or that a one dimensional villain can't be great...I just think the former allows for more empathy and resonance.
Those all reflected the time tho. Most of the villains from the 90s were flat because we as a country were kinda in stasis. I wrote my graduate thesis on this so I can go on for days but ultimately during the peace and prosperity of the 90s, villains were cartoonish because there were no true “fears” on that global scale. The Cold War was over. It all worked. We solved everything. Yay! Of course that was all bullshyt but it reflected the cultural mood.

The 80s villains were also cartoonish but the complexity wasn’t there because of the heroes they faced. During the age of Arnold Stallone and jean Claude, you didn’t need a complex villain. It’s why Hans Gruber is such a standout of the bunch. But it’s also why John mcclane is a standout also.

Any post 9/11 villain or hero is more complex because our world as Americans became more complex. The lines of good guys and bad guys aren’t as clear as they were 20-30 years ago. And audiences demand more.

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
Garfield was the best imo.
Garfield was the worst imo. At least for highschool spiderman, if they had him being a grownup in his prime one it might've worked better.
Not trying to see anymore 30 year olds playing highschool juniors:mjlol:

Rekkapryde

GT, LWO, 49ERS, BRAVES, HAWKS, N4O...yeah UMAD!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TYRONE GA!
Garfield was the worst imo. At least for highschool spiderman, if they had him being a grownup in his prime one it might've worked better.
Not trying to see anymore 30 year olds playing highschool juniors:mjlol:

Yeah, that part was a little too much, but overall he nailed it IMO

Vandelay

Waxing Intellectual
Daps
Reppin
Phi Chi Connection
Those all reflected the time tho. Most of the villains from the 90s were flat because we as a country were kinda in stasis. I wrote my graduate thesis on this so I can go on for days but ultimately during the peace and prosperity of the 90s, villains were cartoonish because there were no true “fears” on that global scale. The Cold War was over. It all worked. We solved everything. Yay! Of course that was all bullshyt but it reflected the cultural mood.

The 80s villains were also cartoonish but the complexity wasn’t there because of the heroes they faced. During the age of Arnold Stallone and jean Claude, you didn’t need a complex villain. It’s why Hans Gruber is such a standout of the bunch. But it’s also why John mcclane is a standout also.

Any post 9/11 villain or hero is more complex because our world as Americans became more complex. The lines of good guys and bad guys aren’t as clear as they were 20-30 years ago. And audiences demand more.

I'm here for all of it. It's a large part of the reason why I preferred Marvel over DC growing up. I felt like DC was all boy scouts. I'm glad people are demanding more from their media as well.

Ironically, until the last 4-5 years or so, the DCEU was much better than Marvel in this regard and I generally preferred DCEU over Marvel up until phase 3. Now the roles kinda reversed cinematically LOL...

I just like good stories and it's hard to do that without a proper motivation or antagonist.