Spike Lee's going in on Black Brit actors

WakandanPride

Realest Negus Alive
Daps
Reppin
ATL
His show 'She's Gotta Have It' addressed how Black Brits are stealing roles from Black American actors.

John Boyega was pissed

I'm pretty sure Samuel L. Jackson commented on this while 'Get Out' was doing its press run.

What do you think brehs? I honestly don't like the diaspora wars, but it is a conversation that needs to be had.

Scottie Drippin

Should Never Mention Me
Daps
Reppin
The Traps of Unified Korea
If it was just a black thing, sure.

But it isn't. British and Australian actors are and have been taking everyones roles for the longest.

The fact of the matter is, especially when it comes to the British, acting is looked at more seriously as a craft at a younger age. Most British actors are products of great stage schools from a young age. Their ability and professionalism is just beyond the average American actor who can't even afford to learn the craft properly.

Combine that with the fact that a ten year veteran British actor with an extensive overseas resume and tremendous ability is going to be considerably cheaper than an American actor of the same quality.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
That was some of the most stilted shytty dialog I have ever witnessed on screen in my entire life.

And here is what is happening: Hollywood is the destination that all actors around the world aspire to so black Brits come over here because like every other actor alive they want to make it in American TV/Movies.

This argument like there is some concerted effort by black Brits to "steal" jobs from US black actors, as if the Brit actors are in control and doing this maliciously, is the most reductive and idiotic fukking concept because when it comes to casting these roles it is white people making the decisions.

But keep infighting and being pissed at fellow black folk over something they can't control...that shyt is super productive.

Daps
Reppin
Latveria
This shyt honestly made me stop liking spike

WTNcUF3.jpg

Guvnor

Da Speculative Spectacle®
Daps
Reppin
BKLYN
People from all over the world aspire to be on American television though :jbhmm: It's not like they are stealing our jobs and I think competition can be a good thing.

That piece in the convo about black british folks not having to deal with racism is bullshyt though.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
I prefer we get our own studios, production companies, distribution companies, etc.

Spike should be bigger than tyler perry if we keep it real. Also people like Clifton powell called out spike for not putting on other black people outside of those in his click

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
His show 'She's Gotta Have It' addressed how Black Brits are stealing roles from Black American actors.

John Boyega was pissed

I'm pretty sure Samuel L. Jackson commented on this while 'Get Out' was doing its press run.

What do you think brehs? I honestly don't like the diaspora wars, but it is a conversation that needs to be had.

AFRICAN AMERICAN actors have called Spike Lee out over the years for jerking them and underpaying them.
Most notably Clifton Powell.........and Samuel Jackson were the ones who said it publicly.

Interesting to see Spike wave this "us" and "them" flag, when it's on the record that he was mistreating AFRICAN AMERICAN actors in his early days as a filmmaker.

=============================
He threw in a jab about rappers taking jobs from actors in the dialogue for Get On The Bus too.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You
I'd like Spike to explain why he was such a egotistical dikk that he kept giving himself plum roles in his own movies that could have gone to black actors who were looking for a break.
Aside from She's Gotta Have It there is no reason why Spike Lee was in full co-star roles in all of his flicks up to the 2000s besides ego.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
SPIKE LEE EXPOSED

Back in 2015, when he was promoting Da Sweet Blood of Jesus, he was saying something completely different.

Spike Lee agrees: Black British actors are taking Hollywood by storm - theGrio

He had a Brit in one of the leads in a film that was crowdfunded, so nobody put pressure on him to make casting decisions.
Read the link to read the plea he copped when asked about Black Brits being cast in Hollywood.

audio of him saying it in spoiler
video of an AA actor calling out Spike's comments, he posts audio of the comments and it's already cued up.

Last edited: