Spike Lee's going in on Black Brit actors

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
@jwinfield
thanks, page wouldn't allow me to copy the text. You posted the Spike Lee quote from article that is going to bite him in the ass
Interestingly enough, the accompanying video is gone and I haven't been able to find it on that site's youtube page. If anybody can find the video, I'm sure it would be funny to hear Spike's explanation and reason for his change of heart.

Ukbrotha

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Naija, London, Earth
That was some of the most stilted shytty dialog I have ever witnessed on screen in my entire life.

And here is what is happening: Hollywood is the destination that all actors around the world aspire to so black Brits come over here because like every other actor alive they want to make it in American TV/Movies.

This argument like there is some concerted effort by black Brits to "steal" jobs from US black actors, as if the Brit actors are in control and doing this maliciously, is the most reductive and idiotic fukking concept because when it comes to casting these roles it is white people making the decisions.

But keep infighting and being pissed at fellow black folk over something they can't control...that shyt is super productive.
Well said. This shyt makes me so sad when I see it on social media. The division is everywhere. Similar to the online diaspora wars. :snoop:

PlainSight

Anon
Daps
Reppin
UK
Something that often goes unsaid is that one of the main reasons so many Black British actors are going overseas and to America to get roles is because good roles are often quite scarce on British TV+Film. John Boyega, for example, has probably done more work in the US than he has in UK. I don't remember seeing him in much else that was British produced after he did Attack The Block.

David Harewood is in a lot of US-produced shows and films now, and he explicitly came out and said that he took Idris Elba's lead and decided to get parts by going to America. Idris Elba only got respect over on these sides well after he played Stringer Bell, and it's not because he isn't talented but because black actors are a complete afterthought in England. Black British film is a very small industry. My dad is an actor (was on one of the first all-black sitcoms on British TV) and it took him ages to get a pilot on BBC for a show with a bunch of other black actors that were well known at the time - and BBC still didn't pick up the show.

Speaking personally, I think the divisiveness being promoted here is extremely stupid and unbecoming for a director with as much prestige as Spike Lee.

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
British tv is publicly funded on tax dollars so there’s no way any of them could create opportunities for others. Benedict C is going to have a new show every year cause his face on a project will open the wallet from the channel.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
if you have beef with the term "stealing", i get it. but to dismiss the conversation like it's some petty twitter beef is to dismiss the continual psychological effect/conditioning of black americans that we're not good enough. from the general caste system of the US that has us at the bottom, to certain occupations and educational opportunities that always seem to pass us by, to poor representation in tv/film/literature...regardless of where the black person is from that gets the role. i feel people have a valid argument for being annoyed by this, once again, you, and the tools you have at your disposal, aren't good enough. this sentiment is felt in colleges as a lot of the black students accepted are african (1st or 2nd gen) and benefitting from the things af am's fought for, yet we're not good enough for those spots. now in film/tv where afam's fought and went through a lot to be a part of mainstream hollywood, now again you're being reminded of how you're not good enough for those spots that your folks fought for ~1-2 generations ago. this beef is rooted in something bigger, and is not worth glossing over and just labeling people haters.

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
if you have beef with the term "stealing", i get it. but to dismiss the conversation like it's some petty twitter beef is to dismiss the continual psychological effect/conditioning of black americans that we're not good enough. from the general caste system of the US that has us at the bottom, to certain occupations and educational opportunities that always seem to pass us by, to poor representation in tv/film/literature...regardless of where the black person is from that gets the role. i feel people have a valid argument for being annoyed by this, once again, you, and the tools you have at your disposal, aren't good enough. this sentiment is felt in colleges as a lot of the black students accepted are african (1st or 2nd gen) and benefitting from the things af am's fought for, yet we're not good enough for those spots. now in film/tv where afam's fought and went through a lot to be a part of mainstream hollywood, now again you're being reminded of how you're not good enough for those spots that your folks fought for ~1-2 generations ago. this beef is rooted in something bigger, and is not worth glossing over and just labeling people haters.
:russ::mjlol:
A buncha peons crying over white daddies dikk.

Black Trash!

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
If it was just a black thing, sure.

But it isn't. British and Australian actors are and have been taking everyones roles for the longest.

The fact of the matter is, especially when it comes to the British, acting is looked at more seriously as a craft at a younger age. Most British actors are products of great stage schools from a young age. Their ability and professionalism is just beyond the average American actor who can't even afford to learn the craft properly.

Combine that with the fact that a ten year veteran British actor with an extensive overseas resume and tremendous ability is going to be considerably cheaper than an American actor of the same quality.

Average nikka can’t afford that

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
The issue is a real one, and people are naturally supposed to look out for their own group.
However , Spike was exposed for saying something in 2015 that contradicts the tune he's singing now.

He's talking out of his butt here.

Jello Biafra

A true friend stabs you in the front
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Behind You

This isn't a job as a fireman or cop or even a doctor. This is the acting business and to try and frame it as if there is some systemic move on the part of Hollywood to not give jobs to US black people in favor of UK black people seems like a stretch. And they aren't importing black actors from the UK as part of a plan to freeze out US black actors. Better actors lose gigs all the time solely based on the whims of the person doing the casting, that is just the perils of this particular profession.
That is why the comparison of student acceptance in higher ed doesn't line up well in this specific situation.

Being annoyed by it if you are an actor from Chicago losing out on a role on The Chi to some black actor from Leeds is understandable but you can't paint it as something that the UK actors are doing to US actors like Spike seems to be doing.

Black Trash!

Philosopher, Connoisseur, Future Legend
Daps
Reppin
Na
like others said, it's not just black birts, it's across the board with brit/euro/aussie talent. that said, it stings more due to there being fewer roles for black actors, especially when you get into leading or prestige roles, and that decreases even further for black actresses.

a lot of it has to do with our, currently dying, system of looking for stars. for too many years, getting on in hollywood was more about a look, a break, and who they thought was bankable, talent only got you so far. it's why we always had a clearly transcendent level of talent (denzel, pacino, streep, hanks, leo) etc. and then "stars" some of whom were in that A class and others who were stars simply because of the success of their films and "other" intangibles. overseas, they tend to have a lot of great talent packed into their "unknown" tier...we don't, most of that tier for us is people who either picked up acting late/as a pivot (the rock, channing tatum) and aren't classically trained or they started on TV which often limits your breadth due to the nature of just playing one character.

These nikkas will keep burying their hand in the sand and yelling divineness until it affects them

Them nikkas ain’t my nikkas cuz them nikkas ain’t from here

Kind of the opposite of them nikkas who ain’t have shyt to say about the white bytch curating the African American museum

I would have given that job to a US Black even if they were under qualified

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
This isn't a job as a fireman or cop or even a doctor. This is the acting business and to try and frame it as if there is some systemic move on the part of Hollywood to not give jobs to US black people in favor of UK black people seems like a stretch. And they aren't importing black actors from the UK as part of a plan to freeze out US black actors. Better actors lose gigs all the time solely based on the whims of the person doing the casting, that is just the perils of this particular profession.
That is why the comparison of student acceptance in higher ed doesn't line up well in this specific situation.

Being annoyed by it if you are an actor from Chicago losing out on a role on The Chi to some black actor from Leeds is understandable but you can't paint it as something that the UK actors are doing to US actors like Spike seems to be doing.

What do people expect to happen when they dont own anything? Anyone expecting someone else to do right by them is an idiot. These studios are white run and care about profit over everything. Anyone who doesnt understand this is someone too stupid to converse with.

PlainSight

Anon
Daps
Reppin
UK
British tv is publicly funded on tax dollars so there’s no way any of them could create opportunities for others. Benedict C is going to have a new show every year cause his face on a project will open the wallet from the channel.
Well, not all of it, but BBC definitely is and that's the main channel that people pay for.

There's other, smaller, TV networks like ITV and Channel 4 and a litany of smaller channels elsewhere. Would be a long process to get any sustained coverage outside of BBC, and BBC don't exactly have a great track record for black TV shows/films (that aren't fictional). I'd actually go as far as to say it's an ambition of mine to give us more of a platform here where we are.