Starting a new career at 30...Good idea or nah?

Mr Rager

Leader of the Delinquents
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Mars
So I'm about to turn 30 soon-ish, and I'm getting ready to jump out of my current career in management (making 60K).
I've never had a passion for my current career and every day is a hassle.
I want to get into programming, not just for the money, but because there seems to numerous job opportunities all over the country AND the world. I like to create things and it seems that it's a dynamic field, constantly changing, which interests me. I'm just worried about being at the bottom of the totem pole and having a bunch of young whippersnappers being more proficient than me :old:

Has anyone changed changed careers later in life? What was it like? Did you have to humble yourself getting into a new field and making less?

Specifically for software dev brehs, how long does it take to become a 'good' or 'decent' developer? How are n00bs in the field treated? I'm seriously considering doing this, so any help you brehs may able to provide would be great

mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Underdeveloped Minds Research Institute
Don't get stuck in a career you hate, breh.

You've still got decades before retirement! Can you imagine doing what you're doing for another 30 years?

If not, the short term pain of clawing up from the bottom in a new field is worth dealing with.

Otherwise, you'll find yourself in a miserable state in another 5-7 years.

MJ Truth

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Do it breh. 30 isn't even old. There are plenty of people who haven't even started a career period by 30, so switching them isn't an issue. Don't just sit in a career you don't want because you're worried about changing it at a "later" age. 30 is young.

Daps
Reppin
NULL
So I'm about to turn 30 soon-ish, and I'm getting ready to jump out of my current career in management (making 60K).
I've never had a passion for my current career and every day is a hassle.
I want to get into programming, not just for the money, but because there seems to numerous job opportunities all over the country AND the world. I like to create things and it seems that it's a dynamic field, constantly changing, which interests me. I'm just worried about being at the bottom of the totem pole and having a bunch of young whippersnappers being more proficient than me :old:

Has anyone changed changed careers later in life? What was it like? Did you have to humble yourself getting into a new field and making less?

Specifically for software dev brehs, how long does it take to become a 'good' or 'decent' developer? How are n00bs in the field treated? I'm seriously considering doing this, so any help you brehs may able to provide would be great

life is short breh
do what you want

mannyrs13

Compound Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Focusville, USA
I'm gonna try this myself. I turn 32 next month and I'm getting sick of the dead end retail business. I'm gonna start getting some certs and see what happens. I already got a pharmacy tech license so maybe I should try that for a while also as a backup plan. I just don't know how much longer I can last with this bullshyt retail industry. Never too late for another chance.

Daps
Reppin
Lwo Lakeset
I'm 28 soon about to do the exact same thing in a job that pays me less initially but is what I've always wanted to do for a bigger company.

If your prepared to make sacrifices initially and it's what you want to do fukk what anybody else says do what's right for you