Starting a new career at 30...Good idea or nah?

Mr Rager

Leader of the Delinquents
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Mars
Never stay in a job you hate, brehs.

Eventually, your lack of interest in it with be reflected in your performance. It ultimately becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

If you do something you enjoy, your passion will be reflected in your performance and you will excel.

That's pretty much where I'm at right now, breh. The past few months I've just been trying to skate, and I feel shytty about it but I just can't bring myself to be interested in this shyt anymore :snoop:

Mr Rager

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Mars
I'm 28 soon about to do the exact same thing in a job that pays me less initially but is what I've always wanted to do for a bigger company.

If your prepared to make sacrifices initially and it's what you want to do fukk what anybody else says do what's right for you

True.

mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Underdeveloped Minds Research Institute
That's pretty much where I'm at right now, breh. The past few months I've just been trying to skate, and I feel shytty about it but I just can't bring myself to be interested in this shyt anymore :snoop:

You need to make some changes, breh.

Start looking for new gigs out side your company or a different role inside your company.

Derekjackson2

Banned
Daps
Everyone needs a second career. With changing technology fields decline rapidly without warning

Barbados Slim

All Star
Daps
Echoing previous sentiments, but it's never too late OP.

I'm a Data Analyst/Scientist, I'm not a Software Dev/Engineer, but I do coding in R, Python, SQL. I studied a BS and MS, but (partially due to the height of the financial crisis in 2010) foolishly ended up in a sales job that I tried hard at, but hated for 3 years.

I got my shyt together and decided I was gonna make the change; got all the old university lecture notes back up, paid for an online course and got on my grind with job apps....someone took a chance on me and it's been 2 years in this new career! I was 30 when I made the change. I've continued making the time for more courses and learning, but you just gotta be prepared to work in spare time too. There is a lot of free stuff online, but gotta commit yourself to it.

With regard to your original question, someone mentioned it but bootcamps can be good - data science/statistics/coding is exploding as a career field and you can get core essential skills from the camps that help you break into a career. For more pure dev jobs I'm not sure, but getting "good" with a programming language is just like getting fluency with a spoken language, gotta keep practicing with it constantly.

AllHolosEve

Her Name Is Mistress Death
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SouthSide, MPLS
Made my change after 30 & ain't looking back.... I love what I do & I'm around my people that respect me....

When you do what you love, it more fun than work, real shyt....

Edit: 4 figures monthly, enough to get 6, more than enough certs to do it but love my job...

Last edited:

Rawtid

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I'm over 30 and I'm moving away from the IT world. I don't like the corporate environment. I've been doing gigs for the past couple months and I found one recently doing real estate inspections that I like so far. (Only my 4th day). I also got a call back from a brokerage to be an admin for this real estate team. The inspection job allows me to identify distressed and vacant properties so I'm hoping I can find an investor and be a "bird dog". Either way it's never too late.

Frangala

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Le Grand Congo (Kin)
I have a friend in med school who finished a couple of years ago and he was 31 when he finished about to start his residency so that's the equivalent of career change/start. So no 30 isn't old. Think about it this way you have 35 years left of working years. In addition 30 isn't a late career start in this age since more people are getting post-graduate degrees and going back to school in order to become more competitive in the job market.

mamba

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Underdeveloped Minds Research Institute
Don't get caught in the habit of trying to compare yourself to others.

A lot of people stay in careers they hate because they want to keep pace with their peers in terms of purchases, vacations, etc.

Sometimes you have to take a step back and make some sacrifices to really get the life you really want.

How Sway?

Great Value Man
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
my mother changed her career at 40 ish

my dad did n his late 40's
JUST DO IT NiKKA!:damn:

The_Unchosen_One

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
St. Louis
I'll be 35 in a few weeks... been doing property management for past 6 years... it let me go back to school and finish my Bachelors and about to knock out my Masters

It don't matter when you switch.. don't work in an area you hate... for me it's sports... I'm going to get a job as an Athletic Director for a University or in the front office of a pro sports team... those are where I am headed.

Mr Rager

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Mars
Echoing previous sentiments, but it's never too late OP.

I'm a Data Analyst/Scientist, I'm not a Software Dev/Engineer, but I do coding in R, Python, SQL. I studied a BS and MS, but (partially due to the height of the financial crisis in 2010) foolishly ended up in a sales job that I tried hard at, but hated for 3 years.

I got my shyt together and decided I was gonna make the change; got all the old university lecture notes back up, paid for an online course and got on my grind with job apps....someone took a chance on me and it's been 2 years in this new career! I was 30 when I made the change. I've continued making the time for more courses and learning, but you just gotta be prepared to work in spare time too. There is a lot of free stuff online, but gotta commit yourself to it.

With regard to your original question, someone mentioned it but bootcamps can be good - data science/statistics/coding is exploding as a career field and you can get core essential skills from the camps that help you break into a career. For more pure dev jobs I'm not sure, but getting "good" with a programming language is just like getting fluency with a spoken language, gotta keep practicing with it constantly.

Thank you :salute:

I'll pm you with more q's I was considering the data science route as an option