Stephen King Defends The Marvels & the MCU Against Negative Comments

LevelUp

🧞🪔 𝙏𝙝𝙚 𝙂𝙚𝙣𝙞𝙚 𝙤𝙛 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙇𝙖𝙢𝙥 🧞🪔
Daps
the-marvels-stephen-king.jpg

"Renowned author Stephen King is not only the undisputed master of modern horror, he is also a celebrity on social media, where he often shares his opinion about various topics. And now the writer behind such classics as It and The Shining has surprised his followers by sharing his opinion on the supposed crisis that Marvel Studios is going through and the box office issues faced by The Marvels. The long-awaited sequel of the 2019 film arrived in theaters last Friday, and as its projections had already predicted, it has not performed well at the box office during its opening weekend. But the setback of the film directed by Nia DaCosta has been seen as a reflection of the problems that Marvel Studios has faced in recent months.

This year, while there were successful projects like Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 and the second season of Loki, others faced huge conflicts. Productions such as Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania or Secret Invasion were very poorly received, and rumors began to circulate about an alleged crisis in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. And many have taken advantage of this bad moment to strongly criticize the studio.

Through his X page (formerly known as Twitter), King wrote a message against those who seemed to be enjoying the problems that Marvel Studios is facing, despite admitting that he does not consider himself a fan of the franchise led by Kevin Feige:

"I don’t go to MCU movies, don’t care for them, but I find this barely masked gloating over the low box office for THE MARVELS very unpleasant. Why gloat over failure?"

The Marvels set a new record for the MCU by becoming the film with the worst opening weekend, now standing above The Incredible Hulk of 2008.

The film starring Brie Larson is not Disney’s first stumble this year. Movies like Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny or Haunted Mansion did not perform as expected. But there were others, like Elemental, that managed to overcome a bad start and improve over time. Pixar’s latest movie had one of the worst opening weekends in the studio’s history, but thanks to good reviews, it improved its numbers until becoming the twelfth highest-grossing film of 2023.

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania is currently ranked number 14 in that list, despite being considered one of the biggest failures in the history of Marvel Studios. The film starring Paul Rudd surpassed $100 million in its first weekend, but fell with the passing of the weeks due to the negative comments about it. On Rotten Tomatoes, the film has a critics' score of 46% and 82% from the audience, while The Marvels has 62% and 84%, so their scenarios are not very different.

It is difficult for The Marvels to improve its numbers as significantly as Elemental did, but it can grow enough to at least recover its budget and not represent such a large expense for the studio, which is already considering several changes in its strategies for the future.

https://movieweb.com/stephen-king-defends-the-marvels-mcu/

HipHopStan

Top 113 Poster
Daps
Reppin
I LIVE IN A CARDBOARD BOX!
Because Stephen, a lot of people in the Marvel fanbase have been obnoxiously gloating over other films that have been box office failures, and this is clearly some comeuppance. That's my main reasoning and I don't give a fukk why everyone else is doing it. Gloat away, people! :blessed:

WaveCapsByOscorp™

2021 Grammy Award Winner
Daps
He’s right about the gloating, but the average loser won’t care.

It’s crab/barrel mentality.

Daps
Reppin
Eagle, Colorado

Let's not pretend. There were rarely any artistic/cultural merits to the Marvel films, at least not any that I saw articulated, so their proponents often resorted to citing their box office success as justification for the comic book movie onslaught (no pun intended). Naturally, now that those obvious successes are fewer and farther between people are going to have something to say about it.