Steve Bannon tells black business leaders in South Carolina to demand better

Jimi Swagger

I say whatever I think should be said
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Turtle Island to DXB
5a065b91d673d.image.jpg

Steve Bannon, the former chief strategist to President Donald Trump, speaks during an event in Manchester, N.H., Thursday, Nov. 9, 2017.

CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP) — Former White House strategist Steve Bannon told a group of black South Carolina business leaders Friday that he understands the frustration they and others might feel at not being able to grow their businesses.

"Minority entrepreneurs are the biggest customers of community banks," Bannon said. "And you know why they didn't get recapitalized? Because nobody cares. When it comes time to make the deals, you're not in the room."

The Brietbart News chief participated in a round-table discussion with several dozen black business leaders from across the Carolinas and Georgia. The event sponsored by the South Carolina African American Chamber of Commerce was closed to media except for The Associated Press.

Chamber Chairman Stephen Gilchrist, who counts Bannon as a friend, said he broached the idea of speaking to some of his members during a recent visit with Bannon at his Washington, D.C., home.

"This administration has an opportunity to engage a new constituency, and show them what policy really means," Gilchrist told AP, ahead of the event.

Bannon got a warm welcome from the group, getting a resounding "Amen!" from members when he explained that his concept of "economic nationalism" has nothing to do with ethnicity or race but rather for policies that advance opportunities for its citizens.

For the black community, Bannon said, that means strengthening the community banks on which he said many minority-owned businesses rely. Those institutions, he said, didn't get the same bailout opportunities as bigger banks did following the economic downturn several years ago.

"When it comes time to make the deals, you're not in the room," he said, adding that big banks "got a piece of the action."

"Isn't it time for your piece?" he asked.

Saying she and other black voters had trusted Trump when he told them he would support their communities, Vareva Harris of Benedict College — a historically black school in Columbia — asked Bannon what other candidates they should support to have a voice in government.

"President Trump said, to black people, 'vote for me, what do you have to lose?'" Harris asked. "That's what we're waiting for. Who else do we need to put there? Just tell us, and we'll get them there."

"I'm right here!" gubernatorial candidate Catherine Templeton, who also addressed the group, spoke up from a corner of the room.

Later Friday, Templeton introduced Bannon at a dinner at The Citadel, where he received an award from The Citadel Republican Society. Two other Republicans vying for next year's GOP nomination, incumbent Henry McMaster and Lt. Gov. Kevin Bryant, also were on hand.

Bannon hasn't made any endorsement in the South Carolina governor's race, but he and Templeton, the state's former labor chief, have stayed in touch since the Trump administration conisdered her for a U.S. Labor Department job. She is casting herself as an establishment-challenging outsider beholden to no interest groups.

McMaster has the backing of Trump.

Steve Bannon tells black business leaders in South Carolina to demand better

fact

Fukk you thought it was?
Daps
Reppin
How you gonna ROFL with a hollow back?
He is a well spoken, conman, chickenhawk. Very dangerous, I was listening to him doing an interview on the "daily" podcast, and he comes off very personable, if you didn't know his history or his underlying policies, you would think "this is a cool guy, and he just wants everybody to succeed and get rich", the reality is, he is a real life Littlefinger, he wants chaos, and to push his own agenda forward through division white nationalism. He really is a businessman Charlie Manson.

Jimi Swagger

I say whatever I think should be said
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Turtle Island to DXB
I want some of y'all that think like this to stop and think about this for a moment.

You, in principle, agree with what the avowed white supremacist thinks black people and our communities should be doing.

That doesn't make you reflect on that in any way?
It's the truth, unfortunately, no matter who says it. I don't necessarily agree that black business need to align with a specific party or even Bannon, but they do need to have a seat at the table when it comes to getting money - especially since community banks, the source of capital for these businesses, are being consolidated or dying out.

The Future of Community Banking

DEAD7

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, CA.
c00ningCon. :mjlol:
I want some of y'all that think like this to stop and think about this for a moment.

You, in principle, agree with what the avowed white supremacist thinks black people and our communities should be doing.

That doesn't make you reflect on that in any way?
You should be able to separate the source from the validity of whats being said... if he told you Trump was racist or DACA was a good program I doubt there'd be anyone here questioning him.

Thats said, which part of
"When it comes time to make the deals, you're not in the room," "Isn't it time for your piece?" should be disregarded because it came from him?:ld:

AyBrehHam Linkin

First Black Brehsident
Daps
Reppin
Wiscansin
You should be able to separate the source from the validity of whats being said... if he told you Trump was racist or DACA was a good program I doubt there'd be anyone here questioning him.

Thats said, which part of
"When it comes time to make the deals, you're not in the room," "Isn't it time for your piece?" should be disregarded because it came from him?:ld:

An angler fish will let a fish get a nibble of its bait before it devours it.:ehh:

Not to mention this same man said he was perfectly fine with black people not being able to vote.

DEAD7

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Fresno, CA.
An angler fish will let a fish get a nibble of its bait before it devours it.:ehh:

Not to mention this same man said he was perfectly fine with black people not being able to vote.
Agreeing with what he is saying =/= trusting him... and black people are in no position to dismiss opportunities at advancement from anywhere.