The Birth of a Nation (Official Thread)

BlackMajik

Behind Enemy Lines
Daps
Reppin
DSGB(Down South Georgia Boy)
http://rollingout.com/movies/nate-parker-star-direct-nat-turner-biopic-birth-nation/
Actor Nate Parker (Red Tails, Beyond The Lights) is hard at work on a film about the 1831 slave rebellion led by Nat Turner.

The historical drama, which will serve as Parker’s directorial debut, will be titled The Birth of a Nation, an obvious reference to D.W. Griffith’s highly controversial and racist silent propaganda film from 1915.

Parker, who also wrote and is set to star in the film, says it has always been a dream of his to play Nat Turner even though he’s generally not remembered in America’s history books as a good guy.

“A lot of people thought he was a bad guy, but it’s [about one’s] perspective,” Parker says. “I don’t think he was a bad guy at all, but we all have our ideas of what we want and why we want it, and what we’ll do to achieve those things.”

After reportedly having religious visions, Turner led a group of slaves to revolt, resulting in the deaths of between 55-65 whites in Virginia. The rebellion came to an end after two days with Turner going into hiding for two months before finally being captured.

The Birth of a Nation is set to begin filming this fall..

:ohhh:I'm really surprised that this is being made. fukk Django Nat Turner was the real deal :blessed:

PlayerNinety_Nine

Produced, Arranged, Composed and Performed by....
Daps

Stay Seeking

Banned
Daps
Man, Red Tails has breh drunk with ambition, he's not ready to direct, and there's room for improvement when it comes to his acting. Brothers always messing up something epic half-assing it, begging for Kickstarter money.

Ask Oprah, or Tyler Perry for the money.

kp404

Live Or Let Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Black Community
Man, Red Tails has breh drunk with ambition, he's not ready to direct, and there's room for improvement when it comes to his acting. Brothers always messing up something epic half-assing it, begging for Kickstarter money.

Ask Oprah, or Tyler Perry for the money.
They not funding this either :mjlol:Do you know Oprah and Perry's politics?:mjlol:They don't wanna piss off their white elite friends by funding this project

Stay Seeking

Banned
Daps
They not funding this either :mjlol:Do you know Oprah and Perry's politics?:mjlol:They don't wanna piss off their white elite friends by funding this project

Touche :mjlol:

Tarantino can't do it either, it would tarnish D'jango ...Ice Cube? :yeshrug:

kp404

Live Or Let Die
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Black Community
Touche :mjlol:

Tarantino can't do it either, it would tarnish D'jango ...Ice Cube? :yeshrug:

Ice Cube? :martinwtf:The "Are We There Yet and Barbershop" mothafukka?:martinwtf:

Come on breh:drakecomeon:The only mothafukkas that would fund a genuine depiction of the Turner Rebellion don't have the funds to do it

Big Boss

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
We can now add that Aja Naomi King (“How to Get Away With Murder”), Aunjanue Ellis, Colman Domingo, Dwight Henry, Roger Guenveur Smith, Gabrielle Union and Arnie Hammer have all joined the film's cast. No word yet on what roles each actor will play, but I'm certainly looking forward to finding out!

Parker, as we already know, will play Nat Turner. He'l also direct the film from his own script with shooting now set to begin next month, in Savannah, Ga.

This is all great news! I'm glad that this is actually going to happen... finally. And given what I know about Nate Parker, I feel quite confident that he'll deliver!

A 2016 debut is likely; in fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it premieres at the Sundance Film Festival next year.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/shadowan...s-set-shooting-begins-in-may-lets-go-20150409