The Birth of a Nation (Official Thread)

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Well said @GoldenGlove.

I'm bumping this in response to the disappointing movies thread. For the Festival hype it had, it didn't match the accolades it received. This film didn't do anything in particular to transcend the genre.
It was hilarious how people were upset at white liberals for killing this movie after the Nate Parker rape trial past came back to light, yet those white liberals were the one calling this movie transcendent and hyping everyone up.

It was just an okay movie that I wish someone with more directorial experience was able to treat. If John Singleton (RIP) did this movie. Or Steve McQueen. :wow:

Monsanto

Superstar
Daps
I'm seeing a lot of criticisms for this movie on what was portrayed and what could have been and I can only say that they wouldn't make it in this society. This is not our society as a ruling class.

Killing children, white women, that's a no fly zone. Especially when you have black directors telling him this can't get made without a white savior or not supporting the film's budget because of content.

I never wanted this movie to end so I could see it being a 5 hour movie deconstructing the psyche of white people, a redemption act with some of the snitches, etc. But that's why we have books.

We didn't get Malcolm's whole story in the Spike Lee film nor Jackie Robinson in 42. Its a platform to continue the research.

I'm surprised they even had the blurb of what they did to Nat at the end of the movie. Did we want to see him skinned for a lampshade?

There's a lot to breakdown from that era if done properly, but that would require a massive budget and a director willing to put the story over their perception in Hollywood.

Daps
Reppin
Lwo Lakeset
I feel like if this was edited better it would be a ten times better movie.

Not to mention the bullshyt of showing black people getting tortured but then cutting away when the cacs get What they deserve