The Daily Beast BOMBSHELL: Shaun King Keeps Raising Money and Questions About Where It Goes

The Devil's Advocate

Call me Dad
Daps
Reppin
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven
is he really white?

He supposedly wrote some explanation years ago that suggested his mom was sleeping around and got knocked up but it was always ambiguous. I never understood.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...birth-certificate-isnt-his-biological-father/

Activist Shaun King says man on birth certificate isn’t his biological father
After coming under fire by a slew of conservative Web sites that claimed he lied about his biracial identity, prominent social justice activist Shaun King told The Washington Post Thursday that he is biracial because he is the son of his white mother and a black man whose identity he does not know. The white man whose name appears on King’s birth certificate, he says, is not his father.

“The reports about my race, about my past, and about the pain I’ve endured are all lies. My mother is a senior citizen. I refuse to speak in detail about the nature of my mother’s past, or her sexual partners, and I am gravely embarrassed to even be saying this now, but I have been told for most of my life that the white man on my birth certificate is not my biological father and that my actual biological father is a light-skinned black man,” King said in a statement to The Post that he also published at Daily Kos. “This has been my lived reality for nearly 30 of my 35 years on earth. I am not ashamed of it, or of who I am—never that—but I was advised by my pastor nearly 20 years ago that this was not a mess of my doing and it was not my responsibility to fix it. It is horrifying to me that my most personal information, for the most nefarious reasons, has been forced out into the open and that my private past and pain have been used as jokes and fodder to discredit me and the greater movement for justice in America.”

His statement, which King has described as his family’s darkest secret, was prompted by articles in recent days claiming that King — one of the most well-known activists in the Black Lives Matter protest movement — was lying about his biracial identity. As evidence, critics have cited his birth certificate, which is signed by King’s mother, whose name appears on the document as Naomi Fleming, and Jeffrey Wayne King, a Kentucky man who is white.

In an interview with The Post, King said he and his mother discussed the identity of his father on Wednesday, the first time they had ever discussed the issue at length, and that she confirmed to him that his father was a black man. King said his mother was married and divorced several times, and raised him and several siblings largely as a single mother.

King said that he never knew who his biological father was, and realized at the age of 8 that he was likely biracial. He publicly identified as black throughout high school, and said by the time he went to college he “had honestly moved on from even wanting to know the details of who [his mother] slept with in January of 1979.”

King’s mother, a 64-year-old woman who lives in Kentucky, has not addressed the allegations publicly and could not be reached for comment. Attempts to reach Jeffrey Wayne King were also unsuccessful.

While initially hesitant to engage the accusations directly, King on Thursday said that he believes the series of articles questioning his race and ethnicity are coordinated attacks to discredit “Justice Together,” an organization King founded to combat police brutality that is set to launch August 28.

Conservative bloggers have painted King as Rachel Dolezal part two: a leading black activist who isn’t really black and has lied about his racial identity. Both the Daily Caller and Breitbart trumpeted his leading role in the Black Lives Matter protests while suggesting he hoodwinked a historically black college as well as Oprah Winfrey, since he was the beneficiary of a scholarship program she funds.

Whether or not the attacks on King are a coordinated campaign or just the work of conservative bloggers gone viral, they have gathered steam in recent weeks.

King, 35, burst onto the national scene after the Aug. 9, 2014, killing of Michael Brown in Ferguson, Mo., when he began tweeting and writing about Brown’s death.

In one widely circulated series of tweets, he picked apart the St. Louis County Police’s explanation of the shooting, accusing the police chief of “lies.”

A month after Brown’s shooting, King began writing for liberal Web site Daily Kos. He continued to write about police brutality and racism in America, weighing in on high-profile cases such as those involving Freddie Gray and Sandra Bland. He offered $10,000 to anyone who would take down South Carolina’s confederate flag, before eventually apologizing. And he also raised money for a series of causes, including more than $60,000 for the family of Tamir Rice, the 12-year-old fatally shot by Cleveland Police.

[Online activists raised $60K for Tamir Rice’s family — so where did all that money go?]

In June, a blogger named Vicki Pate began posting about King’s racial identity. In a June 29 post titled “Is Shaun King the next Rachel Dolezal,” Pate said King’s background was fair game because of public disputes King had had with blogger Charles C. Johnson, in which the two men traded accusations.

“Yes, I stalk Shaun King’s social media and that of some of his family, mainly his brother and mother, looking for some sign that he is actually an African American,” she wrote. “Why? It all started with a huge lie he told about Charles Johnson.”

After searching his family’s Facebook pages and amassing “over 200 files” on King, Pate wrote that she “found something his brother posted last month…a photo of Shaun as a child….a very white child with red, curly hair.”

“I have searched every member of King’s family tree with a fine toothed comb and I’ve never once found a black family member, not even grandparents or great grandparents,” she wrote.

Pate later posted another article titled “Shaun King is White – Here’s Proof,” in which she included a photo of a white man she claimed was King’s father. And on Aug. 3, Pate published a third article allegedly containing more “proof” that King was white.

Pate’s posts piqued the interest of other conservative bloggers. On July 21, the Daily Caller published an article questioning King’s version of a high school altercation.

In a 2012 interview, King had said he was walking to band class in 1995 when he was attacked by a dozen white boys. “He suffered facial fractures and required three spinal surgeries, causing him to miss a year and a half of school,” Rebel Magazine reported.

According to the Daily Caller, however, King’s story was suspect. Citing a police report as well as the detective who investigated the incident, the Web site reported that “the altercation involved only one other student” and was not listed as a hate crime. “King … has related the story of the hate crime on his blogs and in his recent self-help book, seemingly to bolster his credibility as an activist and as a self-help guru. But King’s telling of the assault does not match up with a police report from the case.”

On Monday, Glenn Beck’s Web site the Blaze picked up on the police report, noting that the detective classified King as white.

In an interview with the New York Times, Keith Broughton, the investigating detective, said he never asked King about his race and marked him “white” on the form based on the observation of the student’s light skin and his white mother.

In an article on Wednesday, a Breitbart writer claimed that King’s alma mater, Morehouse College, had “distanced itself from the outspoken activist.” (In fact, the college merely declined to comment.)

As King pointed out on Twitter Wednesday, a number of fellow students from his high school have supported his version of events.

“Shaun was quite literally ambushed by a large group of large people,” wrote Shea Gold on Facebook. “He never saw what hit him. He never had a chance. I didn’t stop to count how many attacked him, but the number was easily in the neighborhood of a dozen.” Gold confirmed his account in an email to The Post, adding that he and King barely knew each other so he had no reason to defend the activist.
Yea I read that too... I think my dad is Bill Gates and I never met him... My mom said they smashed though. I think he owes me 150 million in back child support.. There is zero evidence of any of this being true...

But hey.... Call me Mr. Gates from now on and give me money for Microsoft tech...

Dude is a sham to the highest power. Ain't a black bone in his body.

Black Lightning

Superstar
Daps
giphy.gif

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
fukk all this... Every article should start off.... "So there's this white man pretending to be mixed and calling himself black..............." and go from there

This is where I am with it. Damn all this nonsense they talking about, we need to discuss him referring to himself as “us” like he’s not white.

This man needs to be in a psychiatric ward.

Jim Cornette

The Cult of Meat with Extra Cheese...
Daps
Reppin
Australia
What about logic tho.. he's got a black dad and he looks whiter than shaun king

images

:yeshrug:

Booker T Garvey

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TN
What about logic tho.. he's got a black dad and he looks whiter than shaun king

images

:yeshrug:

Uhhh yeah, and we can see that
main-qimg-4b02af8c4d4788b5e53afcce4b6883f0.webp

Shaun king said his momma was either raped by or had an affair with a mysterious black man even though his blood father that looks exactly like him has been plastered all over the internet

jeffking.png

☑︎#VoteDemocrat

The Original
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Deep State
Look at his hair.

When he grows it out, its clear as day he is 100 percent anglo-saxon.
if his dad really is a light skinned black man, then not really.

She's always looked mixed to me. It makes sense if he was raised in a single family household and her mom was sleeping around.

Rell Lauren

Banned
Daps
Reppin
NYC

When Shaun King and progressive journalist Benjamin Dixon launched an ambitious multimedia reboot of Frederick Douglass’ abolitionist newspaper, The North Star, last February, it was celebrated across social media by prominent voices including Susan Sarandon, Michael Eric Dyson and Megan Mullally. A month later, the company boasted on Twitter that it already had “multiple angel investors” and more than 30,000 subscribers contributing $5 per month for students and $10 a month and up for the general public.

Subscribers at the highest giving levels, according to one former employee I spoke with, included Sigourney Weaver, Brené Brown, and black billionaire philanthropist Robert Smith, who gave a healthy $10,000 a month. If every single subscriber gave at the lowest $5 a month “student plan” level, subscriber revenue totalled more than $125,000 monthly, or $1.5 million a year, per figures tweeted by both King and The North Star.

“Remember—this is not just the cost of membership—we are going to be building multiple studios and offices and will be hiring nearly 50 world class journalists and staffers for The North Star,” King wrote in a fundraising letter last November. “We are going to be launching a full news website, an iPhone & Android app, four brand new podcasts, online video news broadcasts, and so much more. We are building The North Star together.”

But 14 months after launching, almost none of what King promised to build has appeared and the site has struggled with issues that alienated many subscribers. The headquarters and television studio was quietly shuttered last summer, and all Atlanta-based staffers laid off. The mobile app disappeared for over a year, and the “full news site” displays branded The North Star apparel for sale alongside relatively scant original journalism.

King told me in an extensive email exchange for this story in early April that The North Star’s stumbles, including the dearth of deliverables promised, can be chalked up to the same overzealousness that has been the downfall of his other projects—the result of his tendency to take on too much, too soon.

“When we launched The North Star, virtually every advisor I had insisted that we should not do written articles, podcasts, and video news at the same time,” King wrote. “I just knew we could do it. They were right.”

But seven former employees of The North Star—three of whom spoke anonymously out of fear of reprisal by King, and six of whom were told they had to sign non-disclosure agreements to receive severances—said the issue was less King’s over-ambition than his absenteeism, insistence on absolute control, and radical incompetence. They said he had little interest in feedback from staffers he had ostensibly brought on for their lengthy résumés and media experience, despite his own lack of the same. Two iterations of broadcast news shows were scrapped, and their staffs and hosts fired, before they ever aired, and Dixon was pushed out even as money poured in and the site remained underpopulated.

It’s well documented that King—one of Bernie Sanders’ most prominent surrogates in both 2016 and 2020—has used his social media platforms to garner national headlines for stories of racial injustice that would likely have otherwise been neglected or ignored. The outrage and media attention that followed King’s sharing of graphic and horrific footage of Ahmaud Arbery, a young black man, being gunned down in February by two white men, was the catalyst for Georgia law enforcement to finally arrest the killers. In 2017, King successfully crowdsourced the identities of at least two of the white racists who brutally assaulted DeAndre Harris during the Unite the Right rally in Charlottesville, Virginia.

As those headlines have raised his profile, King has continued to raise money, including through a Patreon fundraising campaignlaunched this April—again requesting $5 per month from students, $10 and up from general public subscribers—to turn The Breakdown podcast into a “daily video news broadcast.” Critical observers were quick to point out that King’s earlier fundraising letters for The North Star had also promised subscription fees would underwrite “daily online video news broadcasts.” In the letter announcing the relaunch, King explicitly asked contributors to the original The North Star fundraiser to also become monthly paying subscribers to a live broadcast version of a podcast that’s part of The North Star, a project that was already funded, per King’s own tweets, in February 2019. "Before we announce this to the public,” King wrote in the email, “we want the original Breakdown Crew to join us.”

The announcement of the new crowdfunding campaign revived rumorsthat have swirled on social media since it first launched that The North Star is more of a money-making maneuver than the “fully independent, unbought, unbossed media company focused on freedom” King had promised.

It has also fueled long-standing accusations—primarily lodged by black women and queer folks, nearly all of whom are his former co-organizers, colleagues, employees and supporters—that King has inflated, mismanaged or failed to account for funds he’s raised for various social justice causes.

While it should be noted that no criminal or civil charges have ever been filed against King, the story—in the words of former employees of The North Star—was one of “self sabotage” by him, and “really shady fukking business” with “a liar & a fraud.”

Shaun King Keeps Raising Money, and Questions About Where It Goes

It's a very long read. Couldn't paste the entire article. They finally found out what many have been saying about him for years. Chickens are coming home to roost.