Essential The Official MMA Thread

JahFocus CS

Get It How You Get It
Daps
Reppin
Republic of New Afrika
You think he was able to beat prime machida x2 and beat TRT hendo in one of the greatest bouts ever out of his prime?:leon:

He lost to Hendo both times though...

Yes, I think even out of his prime at that point, his striking skills presented a stylistic challenge for prime Machida.

EDIT: Yeah, I think I remember scoring the first fight against Hendo for Shogun. But Hendo is a one-dimensional fighter and was still able to inflict savage damage on my guy. :wow:

storyteller

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NYC
Coming off of bad injuries. :francis:

I'm impressed by the fact that he was able to bounce back from the injuries, rebut the doubters, and win the belt. I don't think he was in his prime after leaving PRIDE because of the injuries.

Even though the rule changes and ring dimensions weren't massively different, they did impact most of these guys as well. PRIDE had a lot more ways to punish fighters and really pressed fighters not to stall. The fact post prime Rua wound up with the belt for a while (shoulda won the first Machida decision btw) is a huge compliment, but he never looked as good as his PRIDE days. Another note about dude's prime coming and going fast, that whole camp of killers sparred like they were in fights. Dude's probably reduced their primes fighting over stray puppies (literally) as much as they did in actual fights.

Someone turned the puppy fight into a mini comic lol
MMA Mythology #1: "Dog Fight" - Cagepotato

Roman Brady

Nobody Lives Forever
Daps
Is it my imaginations or is there a little too many black vs black matches on this contender series. This is like the 4th in 3 weeks. :jbhmm: