The Official Thread: Learning with Qohelet - Day 1

#1 pick

The Smart Negroes
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lamb of God
Each day, I will give you a small task to read and do:

I will share tips and ideas so you can improve yourself. I will also talk about job markets and the housing in those markets with the industries that serves them. Since I tend to be IT based, that's what I will cover first.

Day 1:
I will start with Comptia A+

Price and type:
A+ Exam Type: Computer based, Multiple choice questions A+ Test Duration: 90 minutes A+ Exam Length: 90 questions A+ Exam Cost: $194 USD per voucher ($165 for CompTIA members) A+ Passing Score: 675 out of 900 for CompTIA A+ 220-801 and 700 out of 900 for CompTIA A+ 220-802.

Jobs: Comptia A+ Entry Level Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com

Salary for entry level: $15-20 a hour depending on city.

Types of jobs available will be mainly help desk but that should just encourage you to get more experience and certs.

Qohelet take: I usually recommend this for brothas who tend to be a mix of blue collar w/ white collar chill. I.E. your typical coli poster. This doesn't have a lot of coding in it so you do not need a strong math background. You just need to determined and get some hands on experience.

The Career Path for this type of person who receives this certification is a System Administrator which means you need to get more certs. You do not need a degree. Most tend to go Hardware, Services and Infrastructure while others in this field tend to go Storage and Data where there is more money involved.

Comptia's CareerMap: https://certification.comptia.org/d...lefiles/it-certification-roadmap.pdf?sfvrsn=2

Resources:

Prof Messer is dope at this: Professor Messer’s CompTIA 220-901 and 220-902 A+ Training Course « Professor Messer IT Certification Training Courses

This is a good message board: A+

Here was a good opinion:
The A+ is entry level meaning that it is for someone looking to get into the industry it isn't like the MCSA/E where you actually need to be in the industry before starting the process to becoming a professional. (Edited)

If you need a book, Mike Myers is the way to go: | Half.com

Also, if you live in a city that has programs for under-served people who need a job, most tend to have free programs for residents to get certificated. On top of that, they do hands on work which is something many of you might want to look into. In DC, we got Byte Back | Tech within Reach

Day 1 Homework:

Watch the course Introduction: Professor Messer’s CompTIA 220-901 and 220-902 A+ Course Overview « Professor Messer IT Certification Training Courses

Also watch:
1.1 – BIOS and UEFI
BIOS and UEFI (7:30) | BIOS Configurations (6:03)
BIOS Security (5:00) | Installing BIOS Upgrades (7:05)

This should put you in a good place.

Tomorrow will continue the on the A+ learning series and we will also touch on Communication and why is communication so vital for the Black man and woman in today's society and how can I improve my communication skills and what is it that employers, employees and potential customers want from you in terms of getting your message across.

Ja0ZQ.gif

Last edited:
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Each day, I will give you a small task to read and do:

I will share tips and ideas so you can improve yourself. I will also talk about job markets and the housing in those markets with the industries that serves them. Since I tend to be IT based, that's what I will cover first.

Day 1:
I will start with Comptia A+

Price and type:

Jobs: Comptia A+ Entry Level Jobs, Employment | Indeed.com

Salary for entry level: $15-20 a hour depending on city.

Types of jobs available will be mainly help desk but that should just encourage you to get more experience and certs.

Qohelet take: I usually recommend this for brothas who tend to be a mix of blue collar w/ white collar chill. I.E. your typical coli poster. This doesn't have a lot of coding in it so you do not need a strong math background. You just need to determined and get some hands on experience.

The Career Path for this type of person who receives this certification is a System Administrator which means you need to get more certs. You do not need a degree. Most tend to go Hardware, Services and Infrastructure while others in this field tend to go Storage and Data where there is more money involved.

Comptia's CareerMap: https://certification.comptia.org/d...lefiles/it-certification-roadmap.pdf?sfvrsn=2

Resources:

Prof Messer is dope at this: Professor Messer’s CompTIA 220-901 and 220-902 A+ Training Course « Professor Messer IT Certification Training Courses

This is a good message board: A+

If you need a book, Mike Myers is the way to go: | Half.com

Also, if you live in a city that has programs for under-served people who need a job, most tend to have free programs for residents to get certificated. On top of that, they do hands on work which is something many of you might want to look into. In DC, we got Byte Back | Tech within Reach

Day 1 Homework:

Watch the course Introduction: Professor Messer’s CompTIA 220-901 and 220-902 A+ Course Overview « Professor Messer IT Certification Training Courses

Also watch:
1.1 – BIOS and UEFI
BIOS and UEFI (7:30) | BIOS Configurations (6:03)
BIOS Security (5:00) | Installing BIOS Upgrades (7:05)

This should put you in a good place.

Tomorrow will continue the on the A+ learning series and we will also touch on Communication and why is communication so vital for the Black man and woman in today's society and how can I improve my communication skills and what is it that employers, employees and potential customers want from you in terms of getting your message across.

Ja0ZQ.gif

:wtb:

DrX

Coming For The Crown (Japanese Dreaming)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
fukk is this?....an HIV test my nikka?

Afro

Student of life
Supporter
Daps
did you get a helpdesk job? are they easy to get?

I did not, I combed over Indeed and Monster for months looking for anything, full time and part time.

I submitted my resume to two temp agencies at the time and they never called me back :yeshrug:

All the jobs I applied for wanted a few years experience (Philadelphia area)

I'm not driving a few hours to make $15/hour neither so that also hurt my opportunities.

There was one job that would have taken me in (entry level, wanted you to gain more skills and move up) but I didn't have the cert at the time :francis:. It was 40 mins away from home too.

This was my experience so don't let that stop you, just make sure you do your homework for your area.

The A+ can get you into Best Buy Geek Squad, desktop support, tech support etc.

EDIT: You can read the pinned thread in higher learning. Some dudes got $20/hour jobs off the rip. So it does happen.

Last edited: