The RZA Explains Why He Didn't Let Wu-Tang Clan Work With Outside Producers During Early Run

TripleAgent

Holding my nuts fukking thousand dollar lesbians
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
It reminds me of MCs that talk later on in their career about how they are a much better MC because they know how to better structure their bars and know how to make better songs. Always coincides with that MC not being near as good as when they first came out and were more raw with it. Hip hop is at it's best raw and a little sloppy.
EXACTLY

Sonic Boom of the South

Louisiana, Army War Vet, Jackson State Univ Alum,
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Rosenbreg's, Rosenberg's...1825, Tulane
Love Rza but we also can’t forget key components of the production/beat making like 4th disciple, true master, mathematics, y Kim , etc. who added heavily to the production. Most of the cats I mentioned don’t fukk with Rza because of how he ran and controlled things and there were always big rumors that Rza would take 4ths beats and add a few things and take the production credit. It was alluded to with several beats on ob4cl only for Rza to shut that down and say he did EVERYTHING on that album…. I think the truth is somewhere in between because of how bitter all the wu elements seem to be where they don’t want nothing to do with wu anymore.

@BillyOcean would be someone who could expand on this shyt more even tho he tends to take the Rza perspective more than most….
You made this up. :mjlol:

BuddahMAC

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
So u tellin me 4th and true wasn’t putting in work in the early days??

And u can look up a y Kim interview where he states this

4th & True put in work but out of their own mouths they were credited for the work they did.

Y-Kim had Method Man (who never has issues w/ anyone) barking on him and literally got jumped out of Clan affiliation w/ a universal beatdown.

The Meth rant continued as the anger built up and led to him calling out one person in particular.

“Y-Kim? Yeah I said your name and I’m saying it again. Y-Kim, I’m whopping your ass when I see you my nikka!”

Method Man Speaks On G-Unit Beef & Wu-Tang Problems

Last edited:

JustCKing

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I am not even a Wu fan like that. I like the solo albums more so than the group projects. That said RZA is a genius level producer and is only 2nd to Dre. What RZA did in 1995 probably won't be duplicated again. No other Hip Hop producer had the run that RZA had in '95: Liquid Swords, OB4CL, Return to the 36 Chambers. And that's just 1995.

BuddahMAC

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I am not even a Wu fan like that. I like the solo albums more so than the group projects. That said RZA is a genius level producer and is only 2nd to Dre. What RZA did in 1995 probably won't be duplicated again. No other Hip Hop producer had the run that RZA had in '95: Liquid Swords, OB4CL, Return to the 36 Chambers. And that's just 1995.
The Meth All I Need Razor Sharp mix & Riddler track & remix both dropped 95 too

Bugzbunny129

All Star
Daps
Those guys mighta put on more legends but rzas eye for talent is unmatched. That too is why hes the goat. He really knew how to pick em.

The wu + Top tier Beez

Shabazz the disciple
Killah priest
Killah Sin
Warcloud
Wusyndicate
Shyheim
La The Darkman
12 O Clock
Carlton Fisk
Solomon Childs
60 Second Assassin
Timbo King
Pop the brown hornet
Lounge lo
Hell razah
Frukwan
Killarmy
Streetlife
Black knights even stepped up recently.

So many in house talented producers
True master, 4th disciple, carlos bess, mathematics, ykim, arabian knight, goldfingaz, john the baptist, cilvaringz, bronze nazareth, moongod

The last Bee is insane, literally, seems like warcloud pt 2 with reverend william burke. But one of my fav rappers whos youtube is filled with unheard rza beats in his classic style

Last edited:

mbewane

Knicks: 93 til infinity
Daps
Reppin
Brussels, Belgium
Those guys mighta put on more legends but rzas eye for talent is unmatched. That too is why hes the goat. He really knew how to pick em.

The wu + Top tier Beez

Shabazz the disciple
Killah priest
Killah Sin
Warcloud
Wusyndicate
Shyheim
La The Darkman
12 O Clock
Carlton Fisk
Solomon Childs
60 Second Assassin
Timbo King
Pop the brown hornet
Lounge lo
Hell razah
Frukwan
Killarmy
Streetlife
Black knights even stepped up recently.

So many in house talented producers
True master, 4th disciple, carlos bess, mathematics, ykim, arabian knight, goldfingaz, john the baptist, cilvaringz, bronze nazareth, moongod

The last Bee is insane, literally, seems like warcloud pt 2 with reverend william burke. But one of my fav rappers whos youtube is filled with unheard rza beats in his classic style

Link?

Guvnor

Da Speculative Spectacle®
Daps
Reppin
BKLYN
IMHO, it's learning theory and composition to do films and to stop sampling. He's rich and in Hollywood, so he doesn't need to think about making any raw beats until it's time for a Wu album, then it's problems.

I've seen other dope beatmakers try to learn music theory and their beats suffer. You start thinking about what's "right" instead of what sounds good. I never made beats seriously, but I refuse to learn that shyt, it almost always turns out bad.
Good points but a great producer can do both. Use theory and make it sound good or even go pop and hip hop, look at Pharrell.