The RZA Explains Why He Didn't Let Wu-Tang Clan Work With Outside Producers During Early Run

KingsOfKings

𝔻𝕣𝕖𝕒𝕞 𝕄𝕖𝕣𝕔𝕙𝕒𝕟𝕥
Daps
rza-explains-why-he-didnt-let-wu-tang-clan-work-with-outside-producers-during-early-run-1-1200x675.jpg

"RZA famously developed a “five-year plan” at the beginning of the Wu-Tang Clan‘s run. Now, he has explained why his beats were such a big part of that vision.

During a recent interview with Torae on SiriusXM’s HipHopNation, the Abbot reflected on why he was not only the sole producer on the group’s 1993 debut album (with two co-productions from group members), but also did almost all the beats on the initial solo projects from Ghostface Killah, Method Man, Ol’ Dirty b*stard, GZA and Raekwon.

“In the old days, I was very dominant,” RZA admitted. “Like, it’s all my beats. And that’s because in the old days, I didn’t feel that other producers were giving the Hip Hop type of beat that I thought was dope for Wu.”

You can see the snippet below.

Elsewhere in the conversation, RZA discussed how the crowd reaction to early Wu tracks was something he was very intentional about.

“If you pay attention to Hip Hop and you listen to Wu, one thing you may recognize is that a Wu joint will come on, and nobody won’t dance. Everybody [will] listen,” he said.

“That’s because I didn’t want you to dance. I want you to listen. And that means that while a lot of producers was producing for the club, and trying to make people dance and produce a radio hit, I was producing for Hip Hop.”

Last month, RZA shared a different little-known aspect of the group’s past with Hot 97’s Peter Rosenberg — how Method Man got his name.

The producer revealed that Method Man only adopted the moniker after recording the song of the same name for the group’s debut album Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers).

RZA said: “Method Man was Shakwon until he made that song — Shakwon the Panty Raider. Then, after he made that song, everybody in the hood called him Method Man.”

Method Man, whose real name is Clifford Smith, adopted the persona after the song’s success.

“It was the concept because meth is weed. He’s the king of smoking weed. So he’s the method man. A year later, he’s Method Man,” RZA continued.

The Abbot also said it was a group decision for the name switch: “It was a conscious decision by us as a crew, but the streets did push it.”

RZA Explains Why He Didn't Let Wu-Tang Clan Work With Outside Producers During Early Run

Bugzbunny129

All Star
Daps
That was the smartest thing they ever did

It made wu stand out from everyone else

And when they did collaborate, it meant more.

Too many rappers rely on other rappers and famous producers. Wu came in with their OWN sound. Thats why they still talked about today and 95% of who came up with then are not. I knew that when I was 8 years old… rza did too. Hence wutang forever.

Rza told mobb deep the same thing. Imagine mobb deep without the beats??!!!

thank god rza told then no to producing and put them on game

Sean7

Pro
Daps
Reppin
NULL
He was on top of his game making classic albums at that time as far as the production goes, from Tical up until Forever (I liked that too) he was on a different level so that did not hurt the albuims at all and gave them the Wu sound. After that though with the Digital and so on he fell off so they all started to go elsewhere and he wasn't doing as much, that is when it started to fall apart IMO. That was a great run from 93-97.

Bugzbunny129

All Star
Daps
He was on top of his game making classic albums at that time as far as the production goes, from Tical up until Forever (I liked that too) he was on a different level so that did not hurt the albuims at all and gave them the Wu sound. After that though with the Digital and so on he fell off so they all started to go elsewhere and he wasn't doing as much, that is when it started to fall apart IMO. That was a great run from 93-97.
That was a LEGENDARY run 93-97

97-2001 was a great run. Even then they dropped a slew of 4 micers and still another 5 micer in 2000. People try to play it off but wu/beez dropped 30 albums on labels between forever and supreme. People always gon bytch if they copped 30 albums in one sound from anyone, even a grouo as great as wu.

And then 04-09 was another run. No said date, pretty toney, grandmasters, fishscale 421, 8d (og version > the w) big doe rehab, wizard of poetry, cuban 2

I just hate when people say they fell off in 97. Rae dirt and meth owned the commercial game. Features with everyone. Every ost had atleast TWO wu songs if not 4-5. Imo the industry wanted wu the fukk outta there.

Wus the only group that anything under 4.5 mics is called trash, god forbid a 3.5 mic album or so.

Last edited:

Zero

Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
RZA was right and high-key he was more talented than ANY other producer at the time other than Premo and Dr Dre.

Thats right I said ANY other producer. Large Professor, Pete Rock, Q-Tip, Havoc, Easy Mo Bee, whoever. RZA was better
They won't like this :hubie:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
It's their story to tell, BUT as a fan gotta question the origin story/timeline of Meth's stage name

They had METHOD MAN across the screen, and those were his first words in Protect Your Neck song and video

and in the introduction for Method Man, the song starts with GZA running down their names....and Meth is the last name said as the song starts

Those were the two first songs they released. Only way this adds up is if they added the GZA intro to the song after it blew up on mixtape circuit