The Weinstein Scandal messed up foreign films' reach in the US (long read)

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
you never heard of Bruce Lee or Jackie Chan or Godzilla
you really leaning on kung fu flicks and a 30+ yr old godzilla :beli:

foreign films have never been a big big part of US office receipts, the masses aren't missing them and those who like/care about foreign film are still watching them.

FlyRy

Superstar
Daps
I've voiced my frustrations with wanting to see many of these films in theaters or how inconvenient it is because only one theater gets them. And I live in a major city. I feel bad for those who don't. But streaming definitely helps. Netflix has been great releasing a lot of hidden gems and Amazon has started as well.

It looks like Neon may be starting to take the miramax mantle with foreign films. And A24 definitely has great indies.

If they are going to make it so hard to see indie films with the platforming and limited cities they may as well make it day and date with vod/streaming.
A lot of smaller distributors do but the awards contenders usually don't. I would happily pay 7 bucks to rent pain and glory from the comfort of my own home than my theater playing it only twice a day at inconvenient times.

I actually have calendar invites to remind me to rent Monos and In Fabric in the next week because they didn't get released here.

Sure I can torrent but I spent a lot on my set up and want better quality. Don't mind spending $5 or so to support

@hex you been copying and pasting that same list for years like the Kobe stans posting quotes from former players :lolbron:
On the real though I probably never would have gotten into Korean cinema if not for this board

Last edited:

hex

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
I've Voiced my frustrations with wanting to see many of these films in theaters or how inconvenient it is because only one theater gets them. And I live in a major city. I feel bad for those who don't. But streaming definitely helps. Netflix has been great releasing a lot of hidden gems and Amazon has started as well.

It looks like Neon may be starting to take the miramax mantle with foreign films. And A24 definitely has great indies.

If they are going to make it so hard to see indie films with the platforming and limited cities they may as well make it day and date with vod/streaming.
A lot of smaller distributors do but the awards contenders usually don't. I would happily pay 7 bucks to rent pain and glory from the comfort of my own home than my theater playing it only twice a day at inconvenient times.

I actually have calendar invites to remind me to rent Monos and In Fabric in the next week because they didn't get released here.

Sure I can torrent but I spent a lot on my set up and want better quality. Don't mind spending $5 or so to support

@hex you been copying and pasting that same list for years like the Kobe stans posting quotes from former players :lolbron:
On the real though I probably never would have gotten into Korean cinema if not for this board

Nah I added a few to the original list. And took out a few (like "Martyrs") that I doubt would appeal to the average person.

But yeah the template is mostly the same because I can't assume people seen even relatively well known foreign movies like "Oldboy" and "Pan's Labyrinth".

Fred.

Lakerman0834

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Los Angeles
Gotta charge it to the game honestly.

Yeah it's great that he helped broaden the exposure of foreign movies but dude was a scum bag.

The sad part is I doubt he's even the worst one. And he definitely ain't the only one. He just got caught. And it took literally decades.

Regardless, I never let mainstream cinema dictate what I watch. I was just in "The Irishman" thread dropping like....20 foreign movies, most of which never came out in America. And the vast majority of them go toe-to-toe with anything "great" America has released in the last 15-20 years.

Fred.
List please:feedme:

• Dap
Reactions: hex

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
were foreign films ever big? fukk your subtitles
:picard::picard:
I can't knock foreign films (UK, French, Italian, Spanish language) - they take more liberties with their storylines, don't follow all the formulaic movie tropes and I find that they don't dumb down the content or overcomplicate like they do with American audiences. Maybe it's just me - I get bored easily and need variety with content. I don't mind the subtitles - it's effortless to read if the movie is engaging enough.

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
There is a noted difference, I've seen the changes in marketing and scope with the Miramax and Weinstein. But I mean, it is what it is. They leveraged the movie game on one player, knowing his background- the devil is going to want his due. Too bad though, most of the foreign films or series that I watched are under the Miramax/Weinstein umbrella.