The Woman King is one of the best movies I ever watched, controversy be damned

JadeB

la force de l'avenir
Daps
I just finished watching the Woman King and it was absolutely amazing. As a Nigerian who was born in Benin, they got so much of the architecture, fashion, hairstyles, dances, and other cultural traditions right. It's surreal to see the culture that my parents witnessed and passed down represented on the big screen in America, when 15 years ago being African was shameful. The cinematography is beautiful and you can almost feel, taste, and smell you were there. White people and men weren't the focus of the film and you can feel the power of sisterhood that the majority Black female cast had. The storyline kept on me on the edge of my seat. And the beautiful, beautiful actresses and actors just enthralled me. Despite all the BS surrounding it, I give it a 10/10. Movie of the year an.d one of the best I ever watched.

Brolic

High Value Poster
Daps
Reppin
Maryland
full

Uachet

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Black Self-Sufficiency
I just finished watching the Woman King and it was absolutely amazing. As a Nigerian who was born in Benin, they got so much of the architecture, fashion, hairstyles, dances, and other cultural traditions right. It's surreal to see the culture that my parents witnessed and passed down represented on the big screen in America, when 15 years ago being African was shameful. The cinematography is beautiful and you can almost feel, taste, and smell you were there. White people and men weren't the focus of the film and you can feel the power of sisterhood that the majority Black female cast had. The storyline kept on me on the edge of my seat. And the beautiful, beautiful actresses and actors just enthralled me. Despite all the BS surrounding it, I give it a 10/10. Movie of the year an.d one of the best I ever watched.
A lot of people prefer a beautiful lie to an ugly truth. That is perfectly fine that they do.

I personally prefer to accept the truth, no matter the warts it may possess. I feel there is no way to truly overcome the past, unless the truth about it is understood and the negatives not repeated.

*edit: I am also glad that you are not being disingenuous in your reasons for supporting the movie. It is refreshing to see someone supporting it being honest on the reason why.

Last edited:

RamsayBolton

Superstar
Daps

TriStar/eOne’s The Woman King is coming in higher than expected, with a $19M opening boosted by lively word of mouth off an A+ CinemaScore and a massive 95% positive on Comscore/Screen Engine’s PostTrak. Friday, including $1.7M previews, came in at $6.8M while Saturday pulled in $7.15M.

A+ CinemaScores are hard to come by, and The Woman King is right up there with previous awards contenders like Harriet and Hidden Figures.

only 96 movies in history got an A+ cinemascore :patrice:

I'm so torn on if I wanna go see this movie or not

Why the fukk did they have to make it about the Dahomeys