Tom Brady bemoans NFL play, says 'there's a lot of mediocrity'

Ethnic Vagina Finder

The Great Paper Chaser
Daps
Reppin
North Jersey but I miss Cali :sadcam:

Less than a year removed from his legendary playing career, Tom Brady evidently is not impressed with the current level of play in the NFL.

"I think there's a lot of mediocrity in today's NFL. I don't see the excellence that I saw in the past," Brady said during an appearance Monday on "The Stephen A. Smith Show."

Brady, who retired earlier this year after a record-setting 23-year career, cited numerous reasons for his evaluation of the game, including coaching and player development.

"I think the coaching isn't as good as it was," Brady said. "I don't think the development of young players is as good as it was. I don't think the schemes are as good as they were.

"The rules have allowed a lot of bad habits to get into the actual performance of the game. So I just think the product in my opinion is less than what it's been."

Scoring in the NFL has declined for the fourth consecutive season in 2023; teams are combining to score just 43.3 points per game this season, down from 43.8 last season and 45.9 in 2021. The league is on pace for its lowest-scoring season on average since 2009, when teams combined for 42.9 points per game.

One likely cause of the scoring decline is a high number of injuries to quarterbacks. Joe Burrow, Kirk Cousins, Deshaun Watson and Anthony Richardsonheadline the growing list of franchise quarterbacks who have suffered season-ending injuries while other stars at the position -- including Aaron Rodgers and Kyler Murray -- have missed significant time.

Brady acknowledged the physicality of the sport but also bemoaned recent rule changes designed to protect players from injury.

"I look at a lot of players like Ray Lewis and Rodney Harrison and Ronnie Lott and guys that impacted the game in a certain way -- and every hit they would have made would have been a penalty," Brady said. "You hear coaches complaining about their own player being tackled and not necessarily -- why don't they talk to their player about how to protect himself? ... We used to work on the fundamentals of those things all the time. Now they're trying to be regulated all the time.

——-

I’ve been saying this for years.

Trojan 24

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Just Win Baby
I wonder if it occurs to him he wouldn’t have had nearly as long a career if they let defense play like they use too?

:patrice:

Will he say this same shyt if CTE kicks in….

Tommy Gunn played quite a few years when it was still wild, him and Peyton are really the only guys who had success between both eras

dtownreppin214

l'immortale
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Shags & Leathers
Is he wrong? This is the current MVP favorite.

F_dvqBEbQAArMFb

broller

Veteran
Daps

28 Gramz

How U Luv That???
Daps
Reppin
Tre-4,North Carolina
I wonder if it occurs to him he wouldn’t have had nearly as long a career if they let defense play like they use too?

:patrice:

Will he say this same shyt if CTE kicks in….

This is overblown. Brady outlasted Manning,Brees,Eli and Rivers and they're from the same era. Not to mention there's more QBs getting hurt now than there ever was before.